What's new

Valet model C first shave

I just received a tube of Proraso menthol eucalyptus. I decided on it as my soap for today. The instructions clearly say apply a LITTLE. I though I did. Then I took my brush out of it's hot tub, shook off the excess water and went to work lathering. Damn, it lathered up all right. More like frosting than lather. Mia coppa.it did tell me to apply a little.

I loaded up the Feather blade last night. The instructions tell you how to remove the blade but not how to load one. An interesting omission. Once I reverse engineered that task, no small task. I was ready.

The instructions tell you to lay the razor pretty much flat on your face. So I was off, shaving WTG. Relather and ATG. When going against my neck whiskers it was loud. Louder than Gem loud.

Overall, a DFS. A little road rash from the overzealous touch up work. But not a bad shave at all. I never get the best shave out of a new razor. So, tomorrow we will try again.

I won't strop the blades. I assume they are coated. Stropping would ruin the coating.

Thinking about getting a Valet? Go ahead. It's a pretty decent razor.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
i have that exact model and would love to use it but didnt know you could get blades to use...can you please send me a link to the exact blades you used and a a page where they are for sale...thanks

Toldja. Also you're right about not stropping. These are modern blades and not as thick as the originals. I shaved with mine again today...2 passes, good to go.

i have that exact model and would love to use it but didnt know you could get blades to use...can you please send me a link to the exact blades you used and a a page where they are for sale...thanks

Someone may have PMed you the answer, but if not, here is where I got mine. I see that they've lowered the price, too.

Hellacious glue spots on them (some say wax, but I think it's glue), but those can be cleaned off. The cutouts don't actually spell "Valet", but they fit the tabs on the razor.

You can also use modern single edge blades in the model C by removing the spine. It's a simple process, just pinch a corner with a pair of pliers and slide the spine off. Some people snap off the corner but I don't do that.

As usual, shave two was much better than shave one. A true DFS or a mildly exaggerated BBS. The only thing I don't like about the Valet is the awkward blade loading and unloading. I see red in my future.

As usual, shave two was much better than shave one. A true DFS or a mildly exaggerated BBS. The only thing I don't like about the Valet is the awkward blade loading and unloading. I see red in my future.

Use a pair of pliers to hold the blade while loading and unloading.

Just like Drews I got my Feather SEs in the mail and drove one of them today in the Autostrop. Took my time, did the Proraso pre-shave, used the Mitchells' Wool Fat soap (got good lather.. worked at it a bit), did 2 passes with touchups and yessir a nice shave. I like the SEs because they tend to make you behave and pay attention.

Nice to read this.

Yeah it's a nice shave. I like using mine 'cause it's been in the family for over 100 years and it's like using a dinosaur; the gears and all. I don't expect it to be my everyday razor, but it's pretty neat to use it.

The oldtimers actually did know stuff. It's nice to have that tie in to them.

Hoosier Trooper is right about the Model C taking a modern single edge blade no problem. There is no reason to remove the corners either, again as HT says.

I personally did not do well with the Feather 'Haney' blades. I found they 'dragged' for lack of a better word. I do find however that a Ted Pella PTFE SE blade with the spine removed and stuffed into a Model C or Model B (adjustable gap - a very nice feature) is the cat's pajamas for a razor. A VERY nice shave for me.

Thanx for the reminder - it has been a while since using a Valet and for the last two days I have been sort of stumped regarding what to use for a razor. (The problem with so many choices!!) Tomorrow morning - a Valet B with a TP - oooooh!
:thumbup1:

Top Bottom