What's new

Valet Auto Strop before and after

So I got this Valet Auto Strop for my birthday from a friend. I have noticed that there are several different models out there. I am wondering if anyone can tell me what model this on is and maybe how old it might be.

Here are some before and after cleaning pics, I apologize, the pictures may not be the greatest my camera is not very good.

Thanks, Sean

+1 on stropper.com, fun site to look through. That is a VC1 which is one of the models that you can use a modern single edge blade in by removing the spine, or you can use the Feather blades.

+1 on stropper.com, fun site to look through. That is a VC1 which is one of the models that you can use a modern single edge blade in by removing the spine, or you can use the Feather blades.
I just got on that will not use std single edge with spines removed but will use SE Feathers, will any models allow spine removed current se blades to be used without any other mods to be blade itself and how do you tell which is which on EBAY? Basically I want to purchase a VC1 or the like where all I have to do is remove the spine from a current generation blade to use.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me what model this on is and maybe how old it might be.

Thanks, Sean

This is a "Kumpact" set, which was marketed in the late '20's and first half of the 1930's. It would have a metal blade box and a strop included. The strop would be stored in the lid behind the flip out portion. The later sets had the VC2 models that required the proprietary blades.

That's a real nice Valet to have! I concur with the above comments, it's a VC1 and will work with de-spined standard SE blades. I'd love to own one of those but at least for now I have a small private reserve of Valet proprietary blades for my VC2.
Thanks for showing yours off, gives me hope that one day I'll find one!

Only way to really tell is to look closely at the sellers pictures to see if it has the "gate" with the cutouts like the one you have, or the smaller blade holder like the one in King Bongos' pictures that the blade just slides into.

I just got on that will not use std single edge with spines removed but will use SE Feathers, will any models allow spine removed current se blades to be used without any other mods to be blade itself and how do you tell which is which on EBAY? Basically I want to purchase a VC1 or the like where all I have to do is remove the spine from a current generation blade to use.

Only way to really tell is to look closely at the sellers pictures to see if it has the "gate" with the cutouts like the one you have, or the smaller blade holder like the one in King Bongos' pictures that the blade just slides into.

So if it doesn't have the gate like mine and looks like King Bongos (nice razor by the way) then I'm good to purchase. Thanks Hoosier

Thanks for all the comments and info everyone. I'm pretty happy with the razor, unfortunately mine is missing the strop and metal blade box, but I will be on the look out from now on to complete the set.

Top Bottom