What's new

Using a Preshave Oil.

Hey guys!

I was browsing around the other day and saw some people mentioning pre-shave oils as a way to protect your skin before lathering up your face. I ordered some Musgo Real from Classic Shaving and tried it out today.

Are you supposed to reapply this stuff before each lather/pass? I was rinsing my face off between lathers like always, so I had to keep reapplying the oil after woods. My brush started separating and doing weird things, so I didn't apply anymore oil after the 2nd pass. I was using T&H luxury soap.

How do you guys use your pre-shave oils? Are they really needed to get a closer shave?

Hey guys!

I was browsing around the other day and saw some people mentioning pre-shave oils as a way to protect your skin before lathering up your face. I ordered some Musgo Real from Classic Shaving and tried it out today.

Are you supposed to reapply this stuff before each lather/pass? I was rinsing my face off between lathers like always, so I had to keep reapplying the oil after woods. My brush started separating and doing weird things, so I didn't apply anymore oil after the 2nd pass. I was using T&H luxury soap.

How do you guys use your pre-shave oils? Are they really needed to get a closer shave?

They are not needed to get a closer shave.

I agree, you do not need a pre-shave oil for a closer shave.

However, when I use a pre-shave oil my skin feels much better/healthier after the shave, but it in no way affects the closeness of the shave. I have also found that pre-shave oils tend make my lather "go flat", so I apply a pre-shave oil in the shower before I shave and let it soak in while I shower. Prior to exiting the shower I rinse off as much of the oil as possible with hot water. So, to answer your other question ... no, I don't re-apply.

Folks seem to either love or hate pre-shave oil.

I use the Prosaro Preshave cream as part of my routine with good results. I would think that using preshave oil may have negative affects on a shaving brush. Anyone have any thoughts/experience with that?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I have tried PSO between passes. I don't think it helps a lot after the initial softening of the whiskers, unless you are using a poor lathering product that just doesn't supply enough lubrication on its own.

I do notice a difference when using a PSO and I only use a very small amount, so it does not adversely affect my lather.

As others have stated, you can get a decent shave with good prep. However, we don't always have an extra five minutes for hot towel treatments, or simply don't want to take the time. On those days I use the PSO.

I also have found that just about any shave cream can be used as a pre-shave if given a little time to work. Since I have acquired a few creams that I don't care for, instead of tossing/trading them, I use them as pre-shave prep products. I simply smear some shave cream and a little water on my face while I am getting everything else ready for my shave. When I am ready to apply lather, I rinse my face and apply the good stuff and shave.

I use the Prosaro Preshave cream as part of my routine with good results. I would think that using preshave oil may have negative affects on a shaving brush. Anyone have any thoughts/experience with that?

I suppose it could if you were using a large dose of pre-shave oil. Keep in mind your face has oil too. I use a few drops and rinse most of it off and my brushes feel exactly the same as they did months ago *shrug* YMMV.

I'm a novice at this, but I've been getting good results from using a minute amount of oil (think drop or three rubbed into beard) pre-lather with no reapplication between passes.

I use a non-oil based product, Castle and Forbes Unscented Preshave. It's not oily at all, I believe it's glycerin-based. You only need use it at the beginning of the shave and I've noticed it makes a considerable diffenence in the softness of my beard.

Someone in my family mentioned how people used Olive Oil back in the day. I was like,"whaaaaa?".

:lol:

Guess it's worth a shot!

Someone in my family mentioned how people used Olive Oil back in the day. I was like,"whaaaaa?".

:lol:

Guess it's worth a shot!

Absolutely! A drop about the size of a dime is all you need. Spread it on both palms and rub it in gently. I generally apply a hot towel directly after.
It does wonders for the skin.

Best Regards

Graham

The answers above are all valid. I like using Shave Secret as a PSO. I haven't noticed any difference in my shave when I don't use it, but I like the smell.

mmmm... Clove and menthol... :drool:

I rinse between passes and I reapply Proraso Pre each time before I lather with Proraso creame. Is it necessary? Probably not, but it works for me...so I guess that's the most important thing.

For me, the pre shave oil is simply not necessary. Overkill.

I just massage the face with water, and spread on some regular, inexpensive head hair conditioner to the face, which further moisturizes and gives extra glide. Then I gently rinse it off and apply the cream, letting it set on the face for a minute or two.

By the time that's done (3 to 4 minutes) my face is more than adequately prepared to shave.

There is a point of diminsishing returns on getting prepared to shave, know what I mean?

When I first decided to class up my wetshaving routine, I got a starter kit from AOS which included their PSO. That particular product is not great, but I find that on days when my tap doesn't get hot enough or I don't have enough time to do a full prep, my shave gets a little boost. I apply before lathering and do not reapply. No negative effects on my brush.

Interestingly, the folks at NancyBoy are pretty adamant about not applying lather with a brush if you use their PSO. They say that the brush lifts the oil off your face and just mixes it in with the lather, negating the benefit of having an extra layer of lube between the blade and your face. I understand what they're saying, but I've also noticed that the NancyBoys have a definite anti-brush bias.

Top Bottom