What's new

Used MWF bath soap for Shaving: Niiiiiice

I was on a little two day mini trip to San Francisco this week. Like on most of my recent trips, I took along my travel shave kit which has become a tube of TOBS Jerymn St. cream, L'Occitane (Plisson) synthetic brush, and a BIC Sensitive disposable. While walking around near Union Square, I stopped in Cable Car Clothiers to see what they have. They have an assortment of pretty pricey shaving supplies including Kent Brushes. I found one thing I could afford... a 25g yellow mini package of Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap priced at $4.00. I figured I'd use it in the morning in stead of the hotel soap, which I did. It was pleasant, but I though, "Soap is soap".
I didn't plan on using it to shave, but afterwards, I thought "Hmm, why not see if I could generate a lather and shave with it. So I dipped the Plisson in some hot water, shook it out and proceeded to palm lather. Within half a minute I had a pretty good paste and moved to face lathering it, adding water as I went. I got a pretty rich lather and did 3 passes plus. The lather was slick and had cushion. Afterwards the face feels moisturized. I think I'll try it again in the morning with a badger and my ATT M2.
I didn't expect such good lathering from a bad soap, and certainly not from one with a reputation for being a challenge to lather. So, are there difference between the MWF shaving soap and the bath soap? I've used lots of high end artisan and other quality soaps in my year of wet shaving, but this is my first time with "Da Fat", so I don't know if there would be a difference using "Da Real Stuff" for shaving or not.

Attachments

• $DSC01411.jpg
    $DSC01411.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 81

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I actually tried this about 4 years ago. The Mitchell's bath soap is not IMO, a good shaving soap compared to well, shaving soap. As always, YMMV.Cheers, Steve

Just to follow up my original post. I used the MWF bath soap at home with a Simpson's Colonel in best badger. Soaked the bar in hot water, loaded it from my hand for about 45 sec and face lathered. The lather was thinner & airier. Felt slick, but not much cushion. Got a 3-pass DFS, but certainly not as good as my dedicated premium shaving soaps. Still, it works in a pinch, and the post shave feel is really nice.

$4 for the 25 gram bar? The 150 gram bath bar is only around $8.

I like it as a hand and bath soap but it seems the Plisson and its clones can make great lather from bedrock if need be. :lol: The actual shave soap is great, everybody should try it.

Top Bottom