What's new

Use a blade up, or toss after a preset number of shaves?

Hi @Kent Kimmons , continue to enjoy reading your test results.

Thoughtful question, for me my blades wear gradually so I toss them when performance deteriorates noticeably. That can range from 3 shaves to over 20 depending on the blade. Suspect beard characteristics, blade structure and quality impact this. For example a really sharp blade, like Feather with a narrow edge hone angle, will be more susceptible to microchipping and wear so fast that a preset number of shaves makes the most sense as that "next" shave will be far worse than the last one. Per many B&B members they only use Feathers for as little as 2 shaves (sometimes just one).

Link to a related topic thread below FYI.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Using a blade until it's used up means I use it until I get an uncomfortable/lousy pass. I have to admit that possibility is not high on my wish list.

I will do it with a new brand to see what my limit is. After that I stop before I hit my limit. So if I get an uncomfortable/lousy shave on the 5th day I never get to the 5th day, changing the blade after 4 days.

I will admit that I occasionally run into an exceptional blade where that 4th day feels just as good as the second day, and then I will often push past my usual change day. But not very often.

I mostly use PolSilver SI blades and I paid about 16 cents for them. Four 3 pass shaves means I'm spending 4 cents a day. Sorry, but I'm way too spoiled to risk discomfort for that kind of money.

when im using my DE, I use Feathers 4 shaves (once on each side then turn over and repeat), then switch for a new one. no ifs or buts. Im only after the best, smoothest and most comfortable shave and I dont wait around till the blade feels like its losing its edge.
with the Kai disposable, 5 shaves max then out.
Im sure I read somewhere on a B&B forum....(im paraphrasing cos I cant remember the exact wording but), the only results worth pursuing are the best so...

All blades even from the same manufacturer will vary in quality and sharpness depending on the quality of the batches of steel used. Steel production especially since WW2, recycle a proportion of used steel. Vintage safety razor blades pror to WW2 invariably will be more consistent in performance as the steel will be more purer.

Nicks and weepers not caused by poor technique are a good indication of the sharpness of the blade breaking down.

Those that lean towards a 'one and done' use of blades no doubt will get more consistent quality shaves that are better for the skin and yield optimum closeness day by day.

Many would disagree but two or three shaves maximum is what I do. I understand they could probably last much longer but.. a ten pack of Feathers costs like £3.60.. so that's 36p a blade.. if I get three shaves out of it 12p per shave.. and much, much less if you're buying in bulk like 100 or 200 blades at a time. When you think about it like that the cost of one blade is really next to nothing. Especially in comparison to what we spend on razors, brushes, soaps etc.

Personally, I'd rather toss it after two or three than risk a sub par shave when were only talking mere pennies. I like the close, consistency quality shave of a fresh blade.. and as the above poster noted I'd imagine a fresh blade is surely better for the skin. I admit that tossing it after one use may be a bit much/wasteful.. I typically take it out after one and clean it, turn it over.. so I'm cutting with the other fresher side. But yes, for me, I don't really use a blade past third shave.

I usually change the blade after 3 shaves. I don't want to risk my face from a blunt blade. Given that DE blades are far cheaper than carts it seems like a moot point to try and overstretch them.

Jason.

I shave daily (2 passes). My whiskers are hard so they do a number to the blades. 3 days and then I toss. Average of 2 blades per week!
More than 3 days and they feel dull. And as cheap as blades are, I see no compelling reason as to extend anyways.

I use soft water to rinse the razor so my blades degrade gradually instead of falling off a cliff.

I could use my Wizamet and BIC blades for 7+ shaves but I found up to 5 shaves is optimal as more than this requires more strokes to get BBS.

So I set 5 shaves and out for my Wizamet and BIC blades.

I should note though that other good blades like GSB, nacet, GP last 3 shaves before losing the optimal edge, hence why I now only use Wizamet and BIC.

I imagine people base their strategy on what kind of failure mode they personally have. If they frequently get a bad experience (cut, irritation, shave needs an extra pass) after 5 shaves for example, then it's entirely reasonable to change blade after 4, 3 or even just 2 shaves. If you ever get a poor shave 2, then by all means use a new blade every time. Few would argue with that.

I just don't have those problems. Shaves 2 and 3 tend to improve, then performance peters off imperceptibly. I'll change the blade when my spider sense tells me to or as others have said, when a natural opportunity presents itself (using a different razor for example.)

I just don't have those problems. Shaves 2 and 3 tend to improve, then performance peters off imperceptibly.

I also can understand that there are those who would have trouble getting through one shave.

But, I do find it questionable that average shavers can not get through 4-6 shaves.

I really doubt that real world demographics would reveal that the regular purchasers of DE blades change the blades after less than 5-7 shaves.

My understanding is that the core DE markets are less economically developed countries. Which is why they are not primarily shaving with expensive cartridge blades.

If you are obviously on a tighter budget, then it is more unlikely that you are using razor blades lavishly and discarding them on a whim. You may even be extending them a bit longer than you would prefer.

I also can understand that there are those who would have trouble getting through one shave.

But, I do find it questionable that average shavers can not get through 4-6 shaves.

I really doubt that real world demographics would reveal that the regular purchasers of DE blades change the blades after less than 5-7 shaves.

My understanding is that the core DE markets are less economically developed countries. Which is why they are not primarily shaving with expensive cartridge blades.

If you are obviously on a tighter budget, then it is more unlikely that you are using razor blades lavishly and discarding them on a whim. You may even be extending them a bit longer than you would prefer.
Suspect you are right and in many cases the demographics still relying primarily on DE blades may just do a one pass shave to minimize the chance of being cut during the process. Recall some Gillette research for the Guard razor in India where the "typical" shaver was shaving in their village hut with a cup of water.

I shave daily (three passes) and toss a blade after 4 shaves except for Feather blades that are tossed after three shaves. I used to try to use a blade until it started tugging or felt rough. Sometimes a blade could go to 6 or 7 uses but sometimes the same blade would get rough at 5. 4 shaves for other than feathers generally provides a good experience and prevents having to get through a bad shave. Since I buy blades in 100s, the cost is can range between approximately 2 cents to 4 cents a shave (except

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Suspect you are right and in many cases the demographics still relying primarily on DE blades may just do a one pass shave to minimize the chance of being cut during the process. Recall some Gillette research for the Guard razor in India where the "typical" shaver was shaving in their village hut with a cup of water.
And getting a pretty decent shave in the process.

~doug~

Top Bottom