What's new

Upcoming trip to Italy

Hello Everyone,

I have an upcoming trip to Italy next week and am eager to stock up on some nice products while there. I have already tried most Proraso, as well as some Saponoificio Varesino and other mainstream products. That which interests me the most is finding products that I would not be able to find in my current country (The Netherlands). My main areas of interest are shaving soaps and creams, as well as aftershaves. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

I went grocery shopping in Rome, Venice, and Sicily.

Venice was the only success.

Nivea energy splash
Proraso green tub
Proraso green pre post

Nothing I can’t mail order here though.

There was a barbershop in Taormina that sold yellow Proraso foam, but I didn’t want foam, and Taormina is a tourist trap. It’s a tourist friendly approximation of Palermo which was rough and charming in the best way possible.

I went grocery shopping in Rome, Venice, and Sicily.

Venice was the only success.

Nivea energy splash
Proraso green tub
Proraso green pre post

Nothing I can’t mail order here though.

There was a barbershop in Taormina that sold yellow Proraso foam, but I didn’t want foam, and Taormina is a tourist trap. It’s a tourist friendly approximation of Palermo which was rough and charming in the best way possible.

Yeah, I can easily find all of these here as well. Looking more for something "exotic" or "original" so to speak. But thanks anyway :)

When traveling I enjoy stopping in shops, pharmacies etc. to see what is available!

Unfortunately, I did not find much in Rome what is not available online. Best of luck!!

traditional shaving products are hard to find in Rome. some supermarkets like Coop carry proraso products but mostly the green line. special products can be found in coltelleria dolcimascolo
Via Gallia, 212, 00183 Roma RM, Italy. they have cella valobra and all kinds of razors.
another place is Bertozzini in 192/194, Via Cola di Rienzo .

in general, you'll be looking for proverbial needles in haystacks.

if in milan, visit antica barbieria colla, if only to look around.
also lots of Santa Maria shops throughout Italy.

here's a thread from a few years back about Omegas in Bologna...
A Shaving brushe experience in Bologna, Italy

do some searching around and you'll likely find other ideas.

have a great and safe trip! post pics!

Word of caution: getting your VAT back in Italy is somewhat difficult. What am I saying, it’s nearly impossible.
So 20% or so of your purchase will go to the government.
On the brighter note-enjoy yourself, get some stuff you wouldn’t be getting otherwise.

Thanks as well, I'll be venice/florence/rome'ing it in April. I just plan on buying whatever I find...especially if prices are still super low for the made in italy items (Cella/Proraso/Omega). I plan on leaving a large portion of the suitcase "open" for these souveniers.

Well guys, thanks for the replies and the useful information. The trip to Rome was fantastic. I was able to visit Profumeria Durante, its near the Vatican and had quite an impressive collection of products. The only thing which I did not like is that they seemed to be out of stock of all of the well known Italian products and could only offer mainstream supplies that one could easily find online. As for prices I could not complain though. The Fatip Piccolo was being offered for 16 euros.

Anything else they had stocked that you took notice of? How about brushes? I'm definitely going to pick up a FaTip there. What brands of things did they have in stock?

Well guys, thanks for the replies and the useful information. The trip to Rome was fantastic. I was able to visit Profumeria Durante, its near the Vatican and had quite an impressive collection of products. The only thing which I did not like is that they seemed to be out of stock of all of the well known Italian products and could only offer mainstream supplies that one could easily find online. As for prices I could not complain though. The Fatip Piccolo was being offered for 16 euros.
Nice!
Did you take some photos?

Anything else they had stocked that you took notice of? How about brushes? I'm definitely going to pick up a FaTip there. What brands of things did they have in stock?
Well as I said, they had quite a good stock on all of the standard mainstream products such as TOBS, MWF Dr Harris, etc... However the prices of everything imported were quite high, much higher than buying it online here, in the Netherlands. There did have at least 20 different models of DE safety razors and a few singled edged ones, however I was not really interested in making any such purchase. The assortment of exotic aftershaves was quite good though, however prices were a bit steep, generally starting from 40 euros per 100ml bottles.

Top Bottom