What's new

Unusual scale material

I bought this razor today because the scales looked unusual to me and the blade was in good condition. It was dirty, brown in color, and looked like wood but different. When I got home, I started cleaning it and spots started to appear. I held it up to the light and saw it was translucent.

My first thought was it might be turtle shell but I don't know how to tell. I've stopped cleaning it until I know what it is so I know how to proceed. Thanks

20190121_204235.jpg

20190121_204517.jpg

20190121_204533.jpg

20190121_214014.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I think it's beautiful, though I have no idea what it is. Sure could be turtle/tortoise shell, I suppose. Doesn't seem that you've hurt it any. Nice acquisition I'd say.

i'm not sure if knowing what KIND of razor this is would help, but i know that certain brands were more known for using exotic scale material. Someone can chime in and let you know if they need specific info.

Here is a tip for if you give it a bit of a sanding to keep cleaning it up.. If it smells like camphor its celluloid, if the sanding dust is brown it's Bakelite, if it smells like wet dog it's horn.

But just from looking at it I agree it does look like horn

Thanks for the replies Gentlemen.

I'm certain that's horn.

Here is a tip for if you give it a bit of a sanding to keep cleaning it up.. If it smells like camphor its celluloid, if the sanding dust is brown it's Bakelite, if it smells like wet dog it's horn.

After looking at it some more and doing some research, I also believe it's horn. Until now I thought all of the horn scales were black.

Any suggestions on how to restore horn?

Here's some pictures of the blade that I took this morning. I'm planning to leave the patina, it's very even, almost looks like gun bluing which would be fitting for Gun Metal.

20190122_064102.jpg

20190122_064118.jpg

Thanks for the replies Gentlemen.

After looking at it some more and doing some research, I also believe it's horn. Until now I thought all of the horn scales were black.

Any suggestions on how to restore horn?

Here's some pictures of the blade that I took this morning. I'm planning to leave the patina, it's very even, almost looks like gun bluing which would be fitting for Gun Metal.

View attachment 946119
View attachment 946120

You can unpin the razor lightly sand them down with 400 grit then 800, soak them in Neatsfoot oil overnight then reassemble the razor will greatly improve the look.

I have a similar looking one that turned out to be horn. I think it is pretty certain it is not synthetic, the question is more horn vs. turtle/tortoise. I am not sure if the smell test would easily differentiate between those.

Looks like dyed horn.

Horn is great to work, sand and buff. Should look like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like horn, the white spots on it... not sure

You can unpin the razor lightly sand them down with 400 grit then 800, soak them in Neatsfoot oil overnight then reassemble the razor will greatly improve the look.

Looks like dyed horn.

Horn is great to work, sand and buff. Should look like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Gentlemen. I agree that it's most likely to be dyed horn and that's how I'm going to proceed.

I have a similar looking one that turned out to be horn. I think it is pretty certain it is not synthetic, the question is more horn vs. turtle/tortoise. I am not sure if the smell test would easily differentiate between those.

Do you happen to have a picture so I know what it's supposed to look like?

I redid a set of horn scales for my Johan Engstrom last night. I didn’t soak mine overnight, but did a 30 min wetdown with a cotton ball soaked in neatsfoot oil and left them wet to soak, then polished with Wenol and the finished with Ren Wax. The end results are in the attached pictures.

9337B6FC-AF7B-434C-A8AD-F6D363001BB2.jpeg
85941A05-3032-4932-9986-A54F97EBD949.jpeg

Top Bottom