What's new

Unusual cocktails

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Other than the Caesar and the Vesper, I do not think any of these concoctions appeals to me. I am sticking with the classics like old fashioneds, martinis, gin and tonics, negronis, Manhattans, and Sazeracs. I do like a riff on a Caesar...Clamato, V-8, a squeeze of lemon, a splash of Worcestershire, a splash of Melinda 's Naga Jolokia, a shake of celery salt, and vodka (or gin).

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I don't tend to mix so any cocktail could be considered "unusual" for me. However one I like is kind of unusual. It mixes gin, vodka and Lillet. 3 parts gin, 1 part vodka, 1/2 part Lillet Blanc, ice, shaken and served up with a twist of lemon. I like using Bombay Sapphire and Ketel One.

Back when I still drank, the Vesper was one of my preferred Martinis. :thumbup:

On a different note, the 'Copper Camel' was pretty big back in the 1980s and 1990s: Fill a shot glass to the 1oz line with Butterscotch Schnapps and float Bailey's Irish Cream to the top. Bottoms up. ;) :cool:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
When I lived in Florida one restaurant made what the bartender called a sh__t kicker cocktail. It consisted of vodka, prune juice, and club soda. I never tried it but did see it ordered and consumed.

That sounded very odd at first. Then, I realized it's just carbonated prune juice with an alcohol kick. That's not so weird at all. It always seems to me that most who don't like prune juice have never tried it and the just about all the rest were so heavily taught that it was horrible never got a fair chance to try it.

Southern Comfort with anything (or nothing) is pretty much awful...

I tend to agree, and I would've completely agreed until about five years ago. That's when a bartender made up a drink for me on the spot. It included Southern Comfort, and it was so good that I got him to write down the recipe and then went and bought a bottle of frappin' Southern Comfort to keep at home so that I could make it.

Back when I still drank, the Vesper was one of my preferred Martinis. :thumbup:

On a different note, the 'Copper Camel' was pretty big back in the 1980s and 1990s: Fill a shot glass to the 1oz line with Butterscotch Schnapps and float Bailey's Irish Cream to the top. Bottoms up. ;) :cool:

The Vesper is my favorite "mixed drink". I normally drink everything straight, either neat or on the rocks. The Schapps/Bailey's thing wouldn't be good for me. I hate sweet. The sweetest I get is Rum, neat or with one rock. Goes great with a cigar.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Baileys Irish Cream 50ml
Amaretto 25ml
Southern Comfort 25ml
Cointreau 25ml

Stir and serve over ice.

Don't ask me what it's called. After six of those, I can't even remember my own name.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The Vesper is my favorite "mixed drink". I normally drink everything straight, either neat or on the rocks. The Schapps/Bailey's thing wouldn't be good for me. I hate sweet. The sweetest I get is Rum, neat or with one rock. Goes great with a cigar.

The Copper Camels were for my Bride and her friends. ;)

I was primarily a whisky/whiskey drinker for 38+ years. Started with Jack Daniels (got my Tennessee Squire card ;)) Tennessee Whiskey, progressed to Woodford Private Reserve Bourbon, changed up to Isley Malt Scotch Whisky (primarily Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Bowmore) and finished my career on Irish (Jameson, Tullamore Dew).

Loved my cigars with a good whiskey/whisky. :cool:

Certainly drank vodka, gin, brandy, Cognac and tequila, but primarily whisky/whiskey.

I think I ruined the GDP of Scotland and Ireland when I stopped drinking. ;) ;)

Now, two drinks in a month is a big month. ;)

Blood and sand...
Scotch, cherry herring, sweet vermouth, and orange juice.

First thing that makes this odd is scotch in a shaken cocktail?! Sounds ridiculous. Second, scotch and orange juice... with cherry?! Everything about this drink sounds terrible until you sip it. Still doesn’t make any sense to me, but damn, it’s great.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
One of my favorite low brow highballs is what I like to call a Ting Ray. Even though I basically can’t stand the flavor of grapefruit, it works so well in a Paloma that I decided to give it a try.
It’s simply rum and grapefruit soda. Jarritos Toronja works well, but to match the name it needs these two ingredients.

345D316E-18E8-4D4F-AC6C-5902B9891D97.png16E1444C-7238-427A-BA29-2DC30BBFC3F0.jpeg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
One of my favorite low brow highballs is ... simply rum and grapefruit soda.

My great-uncle had a "secret recipe" for a cocktail he'd make with grapefruit soda (among other things) which he always offered to the ladies; gents got Glenfiddich. I never found out his recipe for the cocktail, but it was always well received.

Fortunately, the recipe for pouring some Glenfiddich into a tumbler is a bit easier to figure out.

When I was on Mallorca in 1972 I was served a drink they called a Snowball, made with Licor 43, crushed ice, and, as I recall, orange juice. I have never seen that drink anywhere thereafter. I remember it as being very rich and very good. Pretty much an orange creamsicle.

A classic Snowball cocktail is Advocaat and lemonade, more or less. I suppose anything with Advocaat might be considered unusual.

Not at all uncommon in the British Isles, but pretty rare in the States, at least in the following form, would be a Snakebite or Diesel (although some would argue a true Snakebite does not have the blackcurrant): half lager, half cider, plus an ounce or so of Ribena blackcurrant syrup, which, as I understand it, is essentially a drink mix for children.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
@The Knize I've seen quite a few places that do a Snakebite. Just about any place that has cider on tap and that has a menu has it on their menu, and I've heard bartenders suggest it. A lot of places around here do it, because there are a lot of places around here that have cider on tap. Even a place in Waco we used to go 20+ years ago did it.

I've never seen or even heard of it done with the black currant syrup, though. Interesting. I'm not much for a snakebite, and I wonder if I would like it more or less with the syrup (probably less, but even if it were more it probably wouldn't be enough).

I hope I did not mention this one previously. Officina at The Wharf in DC has a drink I cannot remember the name of, which sounds terrible, at least to me, and definitely seems to me unusual, but is strangely a really nice and balanced cocktail. I may not be remembering an ingredient, but as I recall it has equal measures of Fernet Branca, Fernet Mente, and 100 proof Captain Morgan rum. It was said to be important to use the 100 proof expression of the Captain Morgan, for some reason. I am not a big Captain Morgan fan in any proof.

The highly complex herbalness or whatever one would call it of the Branca, plus the powerful mint of the Mente, plus the spicey rumness of the Captain Morgan. I do not know who thought of or stumbled on this combination, but it works somehow for me.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I had a couple 12yr old bottles of whipped cream flavored Vodka that my wife used trying to make a “signature” cocktail for our wedding. I mixed them with root beer and it was like drinking a root beer float. They went down WAY too easy. One of my worst morning afters ever.

Top Bottom