What's new

Unlucky 13

Ok, so today was my 13th shave with a straight. I'm slowly working my way up and still crutching off my DE to do the ATG work. Today, I'm making one last stroke XTG and I cut an inch long gash in my left cheek! Bled like hell. Even sliced off a flap of skin! Up to that point everything was going perfect.

You might assume that I got cocky, actually what happened is I fell back into "DE mode" and forgot to reach over with my other hand and stretch the skin! I have kinda pudgy pads around my mouth like many of us over 40 guys get and there is NO WAY IN HELL you can safely shave that area with a straight without stretching the skin first. I knew that but messed up anyway. Man I'm pissed.

Now I have to muster the cojones ("stones" for you non Spanish speakers) to get back up on that horse tomorrow and not just throw in the towel. Talk me off the ledge guys. Please tell me there are others of you out there that gashed the crap out of your face and 10 years later you're still using a straight. I really, really, really want to learn this but DAMN can you cut yourself.

You are right on about the need to stretch the skin. If you don't, you can get that little "wave" of loose skin out in front of the blade tip. A little too quick with the stroke.....and SLICE. That's one of the worst shaving cuts you can get.

I sliced myself twice one morning during shave #3, I'm happy to say I stuck with it and one year later I'm glad I did.

You may have to grow a goatee while your cut heals though :tongue_sm. Did you try using pharmacy grade super glue, I found it worked great for those 3 cuts I've had.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Been there too, it got me by surprise but it heals very quickly. The cut is so thin...

Thanks guys. Yeah, it's healing - not very deep as razor cuts go. I looked the total goof going to work with a Band-aide on my face this morning. When asked, "What happened?" I so wanted to respond with, "Oh, I'm a dumb ***." but resisted the temptation. Just ticks me off at myself when I'm doing well and then get into the moment and forget what I'm doing.

I think I'm going to need a shot of whiskey for courage tomorrow morning to be able to pick up that vicious viper again but it must be done. It must be done.:laugh:

We all get weepers ever once in awhile. But OMFG sickz that is one nasty looking cut. I'm sure that had of left a nice little scar or shall we say reminder of what NOT to do.

I have some cuts on my short journey, and most likely have some more, but as you say, the best way is to carry on, good luck:thumbup:

i just gave myself a vertical gash that looked like luc's just the other day on straight shave #17. i was edging up my goatee and - guess what - i absentmindedly didn't stretch my skin. i've gotten away with it before, but it bit me this time. i'm trying to wait for it to fully heal before i try stretching the skin again and ripping the nice scab i have now.

as soon as it's ready, i'm going straight (ha) back to shaving. my straights are too much fun to drop just because of one cut. keep going! you won't regret it. :thumbup::thumbup:

It was all in the learning curve. I cut myself good that once and a few little cuts here in there besides that one but I wouldn't go back to DE razors for anything. I have been using straights now for about a year and love them. Stick with it and you'll be glad in the end that you did.

To my surprise I did'nt really have hardly any scar at all from that gash. My wife is a nurse and med school student becoming a DR in another 2 years and she patched it up pretty good for me. I guess it helps to know the right people!!

Take it in stride. These things happen. Get back up on that horse as soon as you can. It will soon be a faded memory and as you now know, you learned the hard way and will not soon forget to stretch the skin.

Ok, so I climbed up in the big boy's saddle again today. Took a deep breath and did fine. I realized as I was shaving that not only did I fail to stretch skin last time my blade angle was so flat it's amazing I didn't slice my whole cheek off! As Mark Twain once said, “If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way.”

Thanks for the support guys. I think I'm over the hump on this one. :thumbup1:

Ok, shave number 25 has bit me too! Nice half inch long gash over my left temple where I apparently didn't move the blade fast enough and it sank in. :mad3: I am seriously giving up this straight razor experiment. 25 shaves and I've managed to slice myself 3 times. Is this normal? I don't think I can tolerate another half dozen cuts and the associated scars. Anybody have any thoughts that would talk me out of quitting altogether?

Ok, shave number 25 has bit me too! Nice half inch long gash over my left temple where I apparently didn't move the blade fast enough and it sank in. :mad3: I am seriously giving up this straight razor experiment. 25 shaves and I've managed to slice myself 3 times. Is this normal? I don't think I can tolerate another half dozen cuts and the associated scars. Anybody have any thoughts that would talk me out of quitting altogether?

It does get easier....but don't get cocky! Concentrate on your technique but keep in mind where the tip's going (have you got a round/spike point?). The couple of cuts I've had (that needed the stypitic) were from when I started to go too fast, or forgot to stretch :mad3:

Worst case scenario: Chicks dig scars! :lol:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
3 cuts in 25 shaves? Not so bad. Normal? I'd say yes. I did cut myself here and there due to inexperience but nothing serious.

It's a bummer when it happens. I hate it when it's on the lip but that's part of it!

Ok, maybe I just need to slow down and perhaps even lower my expectations. Problem is, up to number 13 I really felt like I was getting the hang of this and BAM! Seems I'm cutting myself every time I turn around.

Yes, I have a round point but I'm still mindful of where the tip is - I've brushed against my ear more than once.

I'm thinking I just need a break. Let a cut heal and them maybe I'll be ready to try again. I really do want to learn to shave with a straight. The premise of sharpening my own blade and not having to use disposable anything is really appealing. I'm just really frustrated - the shaves were coming together, I just can't seem to keep from cutting myself. If 3 cuts in 25 shaves is considered "normal" for a beginner then either I need to push past it or decide it's just not for me.

I have not had this yet but it is bound to happen, thank you for sharing this, I have been slightly sloppy with skin stretching but now I understand why it is important that I reapply myself in this area.

If this can help, think back to the enthusiasm you had in the very beginning and which I am experiencing at present. Surely it is not worth it to give up just yet. You have apparently had a set of good shaves so there is no question you can do it.

Furthermore, progress when learning a new skill is never linear, sometimes you just have to make a bad mistake to be able to access the next level.

I have not had this yet but it is bound to happen, thank you for sharing this, I have been slightly sloppy with skin stretching but now I understand why it is important that I reapply myself in this area.

If this can help, think back to the enthusiasm you had in the very beginning and which I am experiencing at present. Surely it is not worth it to give up just yet. You have apparently had a set of good shaves so there is no question you can do it.

Furthermore, progress when learning a new skill is never linear, sometimes you just have to make a bad mistake to be able to access the next level.

Good point, I just wish I didn't have to wear my mistakes as cuts and scars on my face with my coworkers asking, "Did you get in a knife fight?". Well, kinda.

I left the evil snake in the drawer this morning and fell back to the DE with a Derby blade for extra insurance on NOT cutting myself for a change. I figured if I cut myself with a Derby I'd know it was time to go back to an electric or grow a beard. :lol:

Top Bottom