What's new

Uncommon SE shaving evaluation.

D

dangerousrazor

4. 1930's Dehaven Razor

blade : Injector blade

Like other razors that I gathered info about from various shaving forum members, I got much help from @jmudrick 's thread.

This razor also uses a proprietary blade. @twhite made an adapter for this razor. (I think he is one of the greatest gifts to our hobby.) but it was years ago. It was impossible to get one when I purchased the razor. so I used two Gem blade spines as an adapter, putting an injector blade in one of them.

20200615_202624.jpg
20200615_202552.jpg
20200615_202559.jpg

It works very well. The razor holds the blade tightly enough to shave without a problem. It is a mid aggressive razor. I ride the cap when using this. It shaves smoothly and efficiently when used with care.

20200615_204549.jpg

20200615_202736.jpg
20200615_202742.jpg
20200615_202821.jpg

I also own the later version of this razor. Modifying a blade of it is much easier than the earlier one. You just need to slide an injector blade in the spine of original blade.

20200615_202846.jpg

I prefer to shave with the later one, which is also in the mid aggressive range. It shaves similarly but a bit smoother. Both of them are great mid aggressive razors

Evaluation : A beautiful, great shaver.

4. 1930's Dehaven Razor

Like other razors that I gathered info about from various shaving forum members, I got much help from @jmudrick 's thread.

This razor also uses a proprietary blade. @twhite made an adapter for this razor. (I think he is one of the greatest gifts to our hobby.) but it was years ago. It was impossible to get one when I purchased the razor. so I used two Gem blade spines as an adapter, putting an injector blade in one of them.

View attachment 1113419View attachment 1113420View attachment 1113421

It works very well. The razor holds the blade tightly enough to shave without a problem. It is a mid aggressive razor. I ride the cap when using this. It shaves smoothly and efficiently when used with care.

View attachment 1113422
View attachment 1113423View attachment 1113425View attachment 1113426

I also own the later version of this razor. Modifying a blade of it is much easier than the earlier one. You just need to slide an injector blade in the spine of original blade.

View attachment 1113430

I prefer to shave with the later one, which is also in the mid aggressive range. It shaves similarly but a bit smoother. Both of them are great mid aggressive razors

Great [emoji2]. People should beware on the model 3 that removing the 90 year old blade from the spine can be challenging. It's easy to break the blade then it becomes really hard to remove. The other issue is resulting exposure is a function of how far you are able to insert the blade into the spine. On one of mine this worked out perfectly, on another I haven't been able to insert the injector blade deep enough to get exposure I'm happy with (it's very aggressive).

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

4. 1930's Dehaven Razor

View attachment 1113419View attachment 1113420View attachment 1113421

View attachment 1113422
View attachment 1113423View attachment 1113425View attachment 1113426

View attachment 1113430

cool info, reviews, and posts.......

you certainly have a collection of "off the beaten path" razors!!!!

camo

D

dangerousrazor

Great [emoji2]. People should beware on the model 3 that removing the 90 year old blade from the spine can be challenging. It's easy to break the blade then it becomes really hard to remove. The other issue is resulting exposure is a function of how far you are able to insert the blade into the spine. On one of mine this worked out perfectly, on another I haven't been able to insert the injector blade deep enough to get exposure I'm happy with (it's very aggressive).

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Thanks for thr further information. I was worried when I purchased mine from ebay that I might break the blade. but there was an injector blade in the original blade. so it was easy to pull it out. :)

D

dangerousrazor

cool info, reviews, and posts.......

you certainly have a collection of "off the beaten path" razors!!!!

camo

Thanks :) A lot of past threads in the shaving forums have taught me that there are various cool razors other than Gem. so I wanted to try them. :)

D

dangerousrazor

5. 1930's Superman Adjustable

blade : Gem modified

Before purchasing the razor, I read that it could be used with Gem blade without modification. However, The slot holding the blade tight was too wide for Gem blade. So I had to de-spine original blade which thicker on the spine respine Gem blade with it.

1580712028296.jpg
1580712030331.jpg
1580712031141.jpg

It is adjustable. but there is no dial indicating the aggressiveness. You have to check the blade gap with your eyes. The adjustable mechanism is very simple. By tightening the end knob, the end part of the handle pushes up the base plate, lessening the gap. By loosening the end knob, the tension of base plate is loosened, widening the gap.

It is mid or mid aggressive razor on the mildest setting. but the more I increase the aggressiveness, the more I can feel the blade chattering. The blade gap fully widened, it feels more like a blade on a stick. When not set at mildest setting, it occassionally results in some razor burns and a couple of weepers.

On the mildest setting, the shave is fairly good. I could get DFS without burn. but I dont think it is a decent adjustable razor when it is only good on the mildest setting.

Evaluation : A good razor but not a good adjustable razor.

D

dangerousrazor

6. Sha ve zee (patented 1917)

blade : Gem blade.

Sha ve zee razor uses Gem blade. It needs no modification. You just need to slide the blade into the slot. It reminds me of Rocnel SE, which uses similar way to hold the blade.

20200618_203832.jpg
20200618_204012.jpg

20200618_204049.jpg

Unlike Rocnel SE, which is very aggressive and gives a lot of blade feel, Sha ve zee is a mild razor. Its mildness can be compared to later Gem models like Featherweight or Pushbutton. I can shave with the razor mindlessly and get no cut or burn. Its efficiency is a notch below than my preference, but with some more touch up, I can get a satisfying result.

With no blade modification needed and its mild shaving character, I highly recommend this razor to anyone who wants to add a non ASR razor to his collection.

evaluation : A great razor that deserves more attention. Highly recommended.

D

dangerousrazor

@pelicanachic
Hoping for more when you have time! It is time for me to work shave 2 for the Christy into my rotation. Also hope all is well.

Thanks for the support. I really appreciate it. As a non native, the review demands some time and effort for me and I was a bit busy. I'll review the rest when I can spare some time. :)

Top Bottom