What's new

Unbreakable pocket comb?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm using a front pocket wallet, and I quickly lose my comb if I carry it there as well. I tried a hard rubber comb in my back pocket, but I keep losing teeth.

Does anyone know of an unbreakable comb for my back pocket? I've been avoiding metal because of the price, but if that's the only answer it would be cheaper in the long run than my present plan.

This reminds me of the "unbreakable" combs that the barber used to sell when I was a child. I remember there was a big poster right near the cash register with sleeves to hold the combs.

When I was a teenager I bought one and it never broke, for years. I lost it, however, and never saw one offered again.

Whatever happened to those?

Chris

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
This reminds me of the "unbreakable" combs that the barber used to sell when I was a child. I remember there was a big poster right near the cash register with sleeves to hold the combs.

When I was a teenager I bought one and it never broke, for years. I lost it, however, and never saw one offered again.

Whatever happened to those?

Chris

I was thinking the same thing. Seems that all of the pocket combs back then were marked 'unbreakable'.

I saw one a few years ago at a drug store that came in a plastic bucket. "Unbreakable" written on one side. No name brand, but it had a UPC stating USA. The code is 0 42137 93310 3 if that helps. I think it's plastic and could be broken, but really, anything could be broken given enough effort.

Yep. I remember that as being a challenge. How many back and forth bends did it take to break one LOL.

It was probably all the plasticizers they used back then. Nasty stuff was used to make plastic tougher and more flexible. Sort of like how lead made house paint tougher and longer lasting- it made for a great product but it’s probably a good thing that “they don’t make them like they used to.”

I have been using a metal pocket comb on a daily basis for more than 20 years. This one was purchased from Crabtree and Evilyn, but I don’t see anything similar on their website. Based on this, I suggest going with something metal.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have been using a metal pocket comb on a daily basis for more than 20 years. This one was purchased from Crabtree and Evilyn, but I don’t see anything similar on their website. Based on this, I suggest going with something metal.

I found a nice metal comb and it seems to be just the thing. I found a sale on Chicago Comb Company page.

For an unbreakable back pocket comb, think cheap. We're talking about variety pack cheap combs here. Make sure that a pocket comb is included. These combs use a tough, cheap, plastic that's on the soft side, which means the teeth can splay over time, but they won't break.

When I were a lad, the most durable comb I had was made of nylon. It was very flexible, but stiff enough to comb hair.

Now that I think of it, as a teenager I used to be a caddie at a golf course. One day there was a tournament and to keep things moving the Club would send a few spare caddies out to stand about 150 yards or so from the tee for the duration of the tourney. The term for this duty is "forecaddie". We were there to spot incoming shots that ended up in the rough, and to help the golfers find stray balls. As it happened, I heard the foursome at the tee yelling "FORE" and saw them waving frantically. I knew a ball was headed in my general direction, but I could not see it. It was right on the horizon, where there is no contrast, and no sideways movement. I had a fifty-fifty chance of moving toward it so I just stood still, arm across my face. It hit me on my left front pocket, right on top of the nylon comb I had in it. They rushed up thinking I should be writhing in agony, but really, it did not hurt at all. I just stood by the ball where it stopped rolling and said "Here it is!"
I'm not sure what the CPGA rules about it were, but I think he just played it where it lay on the fairway, as if it had hit a tree and bounced back on.
True story. :innocent:

I currently carry a Kent 87T folding mustache comb.
proxy.php

It fits very nicely in the watch pocket of jeans. It sits horizontally so when you sit or lift your knee up it does not dig into your hip.

A short followup.
Forecaddie
A “forecaddie’’ is one who is employed by the Committee to indicate to players the position of balls during play. He is an outside agency.
19-1. By Outside Agency
If a player’s ball in motion is accidentally deflected or stopped by any outside agency, it is a rub of the green, there is no penalty and the ball must be played as it lies, ...
So, yes, they correctly played it where it lay.
proxy.php

I don't carry a comb with me at all times, but I can say if I did it would be my metal one from Chicago Comb. If I carried it daily I would probably put it in the leather sheath.

Understanding your reasons based on price, but I find myself thinking the opposite. I try to balance anything in my pockets on a regular basis between cheap enough to replace, but just expensive enough that I don't want to have to do it often. This applies to my fountain pens, pocket knives, and even pocket notebooks. (Even cell phones to an extent)

Top Bottom