What's new

Unbelievable HARD WATER SOLUTION(Changed my LIFE!!!!)

Gentlemen of B&B

(This 1st paragraph is just me rambling on and on cause I got too excited. Skip paragraph to below for the METHOD) If there is 1 thing that this cursed COVID Pandemic is good for is the discovery I'm about to tell you(Hopefully you'll agree). Ever since joining the traditional wet shaving world 2.5 years ago I developed an obsession with it. However, unfortunately I was also cursed with very hard water. Regardless of never achieving that ultimate smooth(couldn't even say just smooth because there always was a certain degree of tugging no matter what even though it got better as I got new tools. Looking at your razorock game changer and Arko) and often getting mild-moderate irritation(still better than CARTS) due to hard water I still persevered because my love for the hobby went beyond just getting an amazingly smooth shave. I tried almost every single tip and trick, given on this and every other shaving forum, for dealing with hard water to no avail. Around 2 months ago, close to the time when the pandemic broke out, I was about to order some Sodium Citrate as I never tried it before and it was my last hope. Unfortunately, in the end all of Italy went into lockdown(I live in Italy quite close to the region where the outbreak began,not Italian though) and so I totally forgot about the whole thing and just proceeded with my shaves as usual for 2 months. Around 2 days ago I came up with an interesting idea and finally tested it today and all I can say is WOOOOOW.:eek2::eek2::eek2:

Enough talk. Let's get to business: THE METHOD

1) Fill a Cup/Bowl with shaving cream(I used a plastic cup). Put a generous amount in there(Half as long as your index/middle finger or 1-2 dollops)(I used "proraso white cream" although I'm pretty sure you can use any cream but I chose proraso because it has chelating agents I don't know if hard soap would work which is technically bloom water anyway but you'd need to get alot of soap and that could be awkward and time consuming to do).

2) Once Cup/Bowl is filled with shave cream fill it up with the tap water till half way to 75%. You wanna get soapy SLIIIIIICK WATER.

3)Put brush in the Cup/Bowl and mix the cream and water so you homogenize it and turn into soapy water and then leave the brush in there to soak.(Test for the slickness of water by rubbing your fingers in it. Should be very slick)

4) Take a shower(Optional. I showered and I even scrubbed my face TWICE with a very harsh scrub.I never scrub because it's suicidal for my face considering I'm about to shave but I figured what the heck might as well go all out)

5)VERY IMPORTANT. Once out of the shower DO NOT USE THE HARD TAP WATER NO MATTER WHAT!!!(You should ensure you have enough shaving cream soapy water to last you the entire shave. A half way filled plastic cup was enough for me)

6)Get out of Shower. Proceed to take the brush and let all the soapy water drain from the brush back into the cup, don't waste the soapy water down the sink. Just let gravity do it's work don't flick the brush or anything you want it to have lots of slick water inside

7) Proceed to paint face with soapy water brush(I guess you could just pour some in your hand as well and just rub it into your face. Up to you ). It will suds a little,might even form a mild lather, because well there is a lot of soap mixed into the water. Most of the soapy water will just drip off your face, that's fine

8)After you feel enough slick soapy water is on your face apply Pre shave(This is Optional,I used Proraso Red Pre shave) and mix it into the soapy water film on your face. Lather might form(it's not a big deal). While applying Pre shave let brush soak back in soapy water cup.

9)Once Pre shave is done. Take the brush and let it drain again via gravity and LOAD the LOVE OUT OF your soap of choice,Marco Method basically(I used Proraso Red in the TUB today even though proraso is by far the LEAST SLICKEST SOAP I have, just love the sandalwood scent).

10)Once you've loaded(preferably for a minute). Take some soapy water from the cup into your hands and rub it over your face you wanna get your face nice and wet enough with the slick soapy water right before you start face lathering(Or if you're bowl lathering then your face and the bowl). You'll basically have a combination of Pre-shave,mild lather all watered down with some MORE soapy water right before you start lathering up

11)Proceed to face lather and whatever water you add to the brush as you're building the lather MUST ONLY BE THE SOAPY SLICK WATER from the CUP/BOWL (NEVER HARD WATER FROM THE TAP). You will get a RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF LATHER on your face.

12)Right before you start shaving. DUNK YOUR RAZOR Head in the soapy water and flick of the excess(or keep it on up to you) and begin shaving. When the razor is filled with enough soap after certain amount of strokes, rinse razor under tap water then dunk razor back into soapy water and continue shaving and so on and so on. You always wanna have a slick water layer on your blade and razor head right before starting a stroke.

13) Hopefully, you will have an amazing shave. I know I did. I even did 3 passes. I NEVER DO 3 PASSES!!! Only 2.And it was smoooooth/fast and way less irritation(which is amazing since I scrubbed my face twice before with a harsh scrub and Proraso is my least slickest soap) Just remember always to use the soapy water to dunk your razor head in after you rinsed under tap water and right before starting the shave stroke.

That's it really. If this has all been said before then I deeply apologize. Let me know how you guys get along with this. I know shaving will never be the same for me again and I'm looking forward to trying naturally slicker soaps with this new method. Stay safe everyone.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Cool idea!

I had water harder than ice for my entire life until last August, and it DEFINITELY makes a smooth shave LOT more work.

Glad you found a method that works for you. It'll be interesting to see if other fellow hard water sufferers give it a whirl!

Cool idea!

I had water harder than ice for my entire life until last August, and it DEFINITELY makes a smooth shave LOT more work.

Glad you found a method that works for you. It'll be interesting to see if other fellow hard water sufferers give it a whirl!
Thanks! It was too good to not share. I'm looking forward to the different experiences

I am glad you found your solution.

Often in the U.S. we recommend that a person use distilled water (acqua distillate) to make lather.
I tried distilled water. But I'm guessing using the tap water offset the advantages. I really don't know I'll give it a try again.

QUICK EDIT: I forgot to include after every PASS only rinse your face with the soapy water from the cup/bowl the only time you use hard tap water is when you're rinsing the razor(and then immediately dunk in soapy water afterwards and proceed to shave)

Interesting solution to a vexing problem. Nice work.

I am fortunate to live in a place with nice soft water right out of the tap. I never truly appreciate it until I go on vacation; no matter where I go, I find that my own house has better water for lathering shave products.

I use RO water or bottled when I'm traveling.

Since I only use it to create the lather and lightly rinse in between passes, I only use around 80ml each shave.

I have "very hard water" according to my city's analysis and I just load with a wet brush directly on a dry soap and shave. Never had an issue. If I had to jump through so many hoops just to shave, I would have grown a beard ;-)
Do you live in the states?? Perhaps reference values are different between europe and the us(if that is where you live),then we also have to take into account beard type etc... But it was definitely worth it for me. The process itself is quite simple takes an additional 30 seconds in total but the results were definitely worth it to me.

Do you live in the states?? Perhaps reference values are different between europe and the us(if that is where you live),then we also have to take into account beard type etc... But it was definitely worth it for me. The process itself is quite simple takes an additional 30 seconds in total but the results were definitely worth it to me.
No, I'm in Canada, but hard water is hard water. My water analysis is on the lower end of the Very Hard range on this [Wikipedia chart](https://i.imgur.com/Y7rCJ2D.jpg).

I know your technique works for you, but you solicited inputs from others as to what works for them, and that's what I gave you. I think your method is wasteful of soap and has too many steps to be a method I would use when a much simpler method works perfectly. Again, my opinion.

I don't understand the first sentence of step one. Do you lather up a bunch of shaving soap and put that in a cup to mix with water?

My 'captured' rainwater yields great lathers with my soaps (Van der Hagen and Proraso Red and Green). Also, my brushes and razors clean up nicely. I have three gallons in reserve, and may be able to collect some more today or tomorrow.

Ah, re-read it. I get it now. You're using cream from a tube.
Yes. Just put shaving cream from a tube into a cup, fill that cup up with lots of tap water and then mix it all up and you'll dissolve all the cream into the water and end up getting soapy water

Top Bottom