What's new

Ultra high tech coffee brewing

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
A recent thread made mention of a halogen powered, $20,000 coffee brewing contraption and an almost as expensive setup from Clover. Bah. Thanks to resident genius Scotto, I'm enjoying the heck out of my new rig, pictured next to an equally low tech tea pot.

full

There is a gentle beauty in the simplest of devices. This setup offers more control than any of the dozen or so drip brewers I've burned through over the years, and makes a terrific single cup o joe. :thumbup1:
It's easy to spend big bucks on impressive looking gadgetry, but with the products shown above I can produce a great cup of tea or coffee for a whopping tvelve bucks or so, including the fifty cent Ikea mug.

Last edited by a moderator:

ouch

Is this thing using the barbecue as a backdrop or is it actively involved in the heating process?

:lol: Nah, I just get decent lighting back there, and shoot all of my pics in the same spot because it's so easy.

:lol: Nah, I just get decent lighting back there, and shoot all of my pics in the same spot because it's so easy.

That works too. :biggrin:

I had concocted this elaborate story that you were testing out your meat vision and capturing waste heat from the grill to brew coffee.

I like the fact that the grounds container/flavor-morsel extraction/filtration unit of your equipment is made of high-quality plastic, and not of some low-grade gold/platinum alloy. :eek::eek:

Seriously, there is indeed something very satisfying (in terms of esthetics, economy, and flavor) in using a simple filter. But where is the Zassenhaus?

Best - MM

When you use a pour-over filter how long does the process take? Do you have to continuously and slowly poor water over the grounds?

I'm just trying to gauge how different the process would be from using a press pot. While I love pressed coffee, I would love to have another maker that is easier to clean up than the press pot.

When you use a pour-over filter how long does the process take? Do you have to continuously and slowly poor water over the grounds?

I'm just trying to gauge how different the process would be from using a press pot. While I love pressed coffee, I would love to have another maker that is easier to clean up than the press pot.

Ideally, it should take as long as a normal drip pot (depending on how many cups). I haven't used them too much, but I'm pretty sure you should keep enoug water in to keep the grounds wet, but not so much that the whole filter is filled up.

For a demonstration, watch the Good Eats episode True Brew:
Part 1
[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=6V-1O2nqars[/YOUTUBE]

Part 2
[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=6V-1O2nqars[/YOUTUBE]

I've got a melita in the camping gear with strategically melted edges to grip the coffee pot to avoid early morning catastropes.

ouch

So is it worth getting a gold filter for this contraption? What are your thoughts on paper vs. gold?

So is it worth getting a gold filter for this contraption? What are your thoughts on paper vs. gold?

My thoughts are that paper works better. It seems to take some of the bitter out. The coffee tastes sweeter IMHO.

I have to mention that I'm just starting to get in on this higher end coffee sampling. A couple of threads that I've read have got me hooked. I love coffee and I drink it black because I love the taste of the coffee, not the cream and sugar. Sorry to hijack, just wanted to give a little background. As with shaving someone more knowledgable could answer. :biggrin::thumbup1:

A lot of die-hard coffee drinkers like the Swissgold filters, but personally I do not. In principle they let more of the coffee oils through, but I like the cleaner cup of the paper filters. Though it is likely junk science, there is also some evidence of an increase in cholesterol levels of people who routinely drink non-paper filtered coffee. There are a zillion passionate threads for and against out there awaiting you via google if you choose to peruse them. I drink French Press and espresso without any hesitation, but for my morning drip I stick with paper.

Hey, it's February, for crying out loud.

I'm glad it isn't covered with 6" of white stuff at this point.

you mean like these snappys I took before I went to work this morning? sorry about the screen, but ya got to keep the bugs out!

Top Bottom