What's new

Ultra high tech coffee brewing

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
A lot of die-hard coffee drinkers like the Swissgold filters, but personally I do not. In principle they let more of the coffee oils through, but I like the cleaner cup of the paper filters. Though it is likely junk science, there is also some evidence of an increase in cholesterol levels of people who routinely drink non-paper filtered coffee. There are a zillion passionate threads for and against out there awaiting you via google if you choose to peruse them. I drink French Press and espresso without any hesitation, but for my morning drip I stick with paper.

And so it shall be written.......... and so it shall be done. :thumbup1:

A lot of die-hard coffee drinkers like the Swissgold filters, but personally I do not. In principle they let more of the coffee oils through, but I like the cleaner cup of the paper filters. Though it is likely junk science, there is also some evidence of an increase in cholesterol levels of people who routinely drink non-paper filtered coffee. There are a zillion passionate threads for and against out there awaiting you via google if you choose to peruse them. I drink French Press and espresso without any hesitation, but for my morning drip I stick with paper.

I enjoy both, but always stick with paper for drip. If I want more oils, I'll just go French Press.

I use auto drip in the mornings. I got a decent machine that heats the water sufficiently; it brews great coffee, as long as I remember to dump it into a thermos or drink it all before it gets cooked on the hot-plate. It's just more convenient. I crank the dial on my grinder and fill the reservoir, drop in a filter, dump in the grounds, and hit ON. I'm convinced that good coffee ground shortly before brewing has more of an effect on the quality of the brew than the exact control of temperature and brew time afforded by a manual drip coffee maker, and I'll gladly sacrifice the slight difference in quality for the convenience of an auto-drip.

The problem with most auto-drip machines is that they don't heat the water enough. To properly extract the flavors from the coffee grounds, the water should be right up around 200°F, and most brewers simply don't get that hot. Mine has a second heating element near the shower-head (right up at the top) that gets the water up to the right temperature just before it gets sprayed over the grounds. It does have high-tech features; I can put in the grounds and water the night before, and set it to start brewing coffee 15 minutes before I wake up, but it definitely loses a noticeable amount of flavor if I do that, so I don't.

or one of these.
proxy.php

I use mine every morning.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The all in one vac pots (as opposed to those that just go on your gas range [you are cooking with gas, aren't you?]) look as if they would take a very long time to fire up a cup.

Do they?

Yep. You need to start with hot water or it is going to take a long, long time.

I have a Yama stovetop version that I love.

Top Bottom