What's new

UK source for lapping film?

Hi, I'm looking at having a bash at honing a straight razor.

I like the idea of going down the route of lapping film. I have read here that "plain" film is best rather than the adhiesive coated but I seem unable to find a ready source of plain film here in UK - everything seems to coated with PSA!

Any help would be welcome.

I use PSA-backed without any problem. I purchased mine from Workshop Heaven in the UK. Good prices and fast shipping

Beware of shaving dogmas present in this forum, PSA-backed works just fine.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I use PSA-backed without any problem. I purchased mine from Workshop Heaven in the UK. Good prices and fast shipping

Beware of shaving dogmas present in this forum, PSA-backed works just fine.
There are very good reasons to use plain back film.

When you peel up the film, you disturb the adhesive layer and also you get dust and lint in it. Then you have to clean the plate before applying the next piece. This makes saving a piece to use again problematic. Of course you can just buy a different plate for each grit, but beginners especially won't want to do that.

The adhesive layer prevents sliding the film over and cutting off the more worn area right next to the edge.

The adhesive prevents adjusting once it is stuck to the plate.

PSA costs more.

This has been considered carefully. PSA can be used but plain is certainly better. A well lapped brick can be used, but it isn't better.

There are very good reasons to use plain back film.

When you peel up the film, you disturb the adhesive layer and also you get dust and lint in it. Then you have to clean the plate before applying the next piece. This makes saving a piece to use again problematic. Of course you can just buy a different plate for each grit, but beginners especially won't want to do that.

The adhesive layer prevents sliding the film over and cutting off the more worn area right next to the edge.

The adhesive prevents adjusting once it is stuck to the plate.

PSA costs more.

This has been considered carefully. PSA can be used but plain is certainly better. A well lapped brick can be used, but it isn't better.

I don’t disagree with your points, except the cleaning and using it again being problematic and not being able to adjust the film. This is NOT true because the adhesive is a little stronger than a post-it card. It’s super easy to remove and adjust it. When you are done with one grit, Remove the film, stick it back to the paper it comes in, rub the plate under running water and you are good to go to the next grit

The real point of this thread is that many of us are not USA based where we could freely opt to buy Plain and even pay cheaper than PSA-backed.

If OP can find PSA backed only, he should not think he won’t get good results. The end results will be the same as long as the operator takes care to avoid dust, bubbles, etc

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I have not found PSA film to be as simple as that to remove or adjust. The adhesive is MUCH stronger than any post-it note. I went through all that about 10 years ago and then I tried it again this year. If the film you get over there has weaker adhesive, then that's good but two different batches I have bought, the adhesive was very tenacious.

Maybe this place would have what you are looking for?

Great stuff chaps. Should get sorted one way or the other soon... Would still like to source plain film if possible. I'll keep researching for now as I'm not quite ready to 'go' yet.

I’ve recorded a short video to show the peeling of 3M PSA backed film. This is a brand new piece, with the adhesive at its strongest form

according to my wife it’s stronger than a post it, but not much. Easily removable, and adjustable.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Yeah mine always peeled easily off the backing, too. That isn't the matter. The problem is that it sticks hard to the acrylic and the adhesive layer is disturbed when peeling it off the acrylic.

Top Bottom