What's new

UK made "traditional" shaving soap comparison - incoming

By appalling, do you mean they failed to produce shave-worthy lather? Or do you mean differences in glide, skin feel after shaving, etc. ?

David, by appalling I was referring to watery, airy, non existent, lather. And to add further insult to Trumper, I received your "dud" puck today and have just spent the past 5 mins or so lathering it up. I fully concur with your findings...I was hoping to prove you wrong, but it isn't to be. This Rose soap is so reminiscent of my earlier experiences with the Coconut, Sandalwood and Lime. The lather appears to develop nicely, only the evaporate very quickly.

If you try it some more and can get it to work, let us know. Feel free to post pics in this thread of good or bad lather from that "dud" puck.

It's a real shame there is no consistency with Trumper's shave soap. The "good" bowl of Rose is really nice and compares well with any soap I have tried (and I've tried a lot!).

I would love to add a bowl of Limes but I don't think I will take the risk. For a Coconut scented soap, I have a puck of Haslinger Coconut on the way. Will report how that one does. Might have to find another option for a Lime soap, or just go with the "safe" choice of Castle Forbes Lime Shave Cream.

David, by appalling I was referring to watery, airy, non existent, lather. And to add further insult to Trumper, I received your "dud" puck today and have just spent the past 5 mins or so lathering it up. I fully concur with your findings...I was hoping to prove you wrong, but it isn't to be. This Rose soap is so reminiscent of my earlier experiences with the Coconut, Sandalwood and Lime. The lather appears to develop nicely, only the evaporate very quickly.

I know this is a UK-made soap thread, but yesterday's shave was with the little 50g Godrej Shave Round. As traditional as traditional gets (reportedly unchanged in formula for over 70 years). Converting the exchange rate, it costs something like 33 cents. Would you believe the lather from it was better than my Trumper's?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
I don't think I've ever heard of a Godrej soap. I have tried Godrej Old Spice cream and Park Avenue Classic (very nice barber shop scent), the Indians make good creams. Where did you find the soap?

Great thread. I have several English Creams, but the only English soap I have is MWF. This will be a thread I refer back to as I look to purchase any English soaps.

Pic:

1) Rooney 2XL after one face lather with DRH Arlington

Results are consistent with the first shave on this soap and the test latherings. It produces a nice creamy, thick lather with a minimal amount of effort and the lather holds up well. Excellent glide, solid protection, and very nice post-shave feel. I don't detect any real performance difference between this one and the Lavender version. Of the two, I will say I prefer the Arlington. The lemon drop candy with a hint of fern scent is growing on me. I purchased the aftershave at the same time as the soap and have been enjoying it as well. I also purchased a 50ml spray bottle of the cologne, which I used today. In pure performance terms, both DRH soaps are leading the pack.

Attachments

• $Photo1(2).jpg
    $Photo1(2).jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 337
Very, very interesting thread. I'm very happy that your findings are generally much in line with my own. Is there any chance that you will also test the current version of the topline (in terms of price) UK-made soaps of Penhaligon? I was also wondering about C&S, but I recall that that soap is produced in Italy.

C&S won't be tested as they are not made in the UK. I may purchase them down the line - i.e. a few months or several months from now.

I have no plans to purchase Penhaligon's current formula shaving soaps. By most accounts, they are quite awful, and I've already wasted enough money on duds tested in this thread ($57, which does not include the $18 refund I got on the dud puck of GFT Rose). If anyone in the CONUS wants to ship me a current formula Penhaligon's puck on loan, I will gladly test it and ship it back. For informational purposes, it would be best if you have the original box and agree to either ship it to me or email detailed photos.

Very, very interesting thread. I'm very happy that your findings are generally much in line with my own. Is there any chance that you will also test the current version of the topline (in terms of price) UK-made soaps of Penhaligon? I was also wondering about C&S, but I recall that that soap is produced in Italy.

I don't think I've ever heard of a Godrej soap. I have tried Godrej Old Spice cream and Park Avenue Classic (very nice barber shop scent), the Indians make good creams. Where did you find the soap?
The soap is on Ebay and refills at West Coast Shaving were available, but sold out now.

The soap is decent. Nothing luxurious but it just works. The puck explodes into lather that stays moist. The scent is vaguely "clean hospital" but very old fashioned. It's India's only shaving soap, and aside from Vi John cream, probably the widest-used shaving item in the world.

I have no plans to purchase Penhaligon's current formula shaving soaps. By most accounts, they are quite awful, and I've already wasted enough money on duds tested in this thread ($57, which does not include the $18 refund I got on the dud puck of GFT Rose). If anyone in the CONUS wants to ship me a current formula Penhaligon's puck on loan, I will gladly test it and ship it back. For informational purposes, it would be best if you have the original box and agree to either ship it to me or email detailed photos.

I have a shrink wrapped current formula Penhaligon's BB puck that I'm willing to loan you? I do not have the box but the puck is still shrink-wrapped in a plastic travel tub. I have not used it for fear that if its bad, it will forever change my positive view of Penhaligon's.

Pics:

1) TOBS Lavender - Old Stearate Formula with Simpsons Rover after 1 face lathering

Not much to say other than this soap delivers consistent results shave after shave I've had with it. I like everything about it (scent, glide, post-shave feel, etc) except that fact that it has been discontinued. Finished the shave with vintage Yardley AS and Atkinson's English Lavender Cologne. Great shave today.

Attachments

• $tobs lav with rover.jpg
    $tobs lav with rover.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 300
Pics:

1) TOBS Lavender - Old Stearate Formula with Simpsons Rover after 1 face lathering

Not much to say other than this soap delivers consistent results shave after shave I've had with it. I like everything about it (scent, glide, post-shave feel, etc) except that fact that it has been discontinued. Finished the shave with vintage Yardley AS and Atkinson's English Lavender Cologne. Great shave today.

I need to pick up a puck of this...is stearate the first ingredient?

I need to pick up a puck of this...is stearate the first ingredient?

Potassium Stearate is the first ingredient. None of the current refills are this formula FYI...you'll have to find a wood bowl version and have the vendor double check ingredients.

I gave up some time ago with these English soaps.

Just couldn't get the same thick, slick qualities that I get from IK, Moos/Tabac, Provence Sante, heck, even Arko.

A shame, as I love the scents/packaging.

Style over substance, in my opinion.

John

Of the ones you mentioned, I only have Moos and PS. Haven't used the Moos yet. Lather is plenty thick and slick with the "good" soaps in this comparison.

I had a similar thought about English shaving products - none of the ones I had matched the performance of my Italian-made soaps.

Then on Monday I got a puck of D.R. Harris Arlington. Nice.

I had a similar thought about English shaving products - none of the ones I had matched the performance of my Italian-made soaps.

Then on Monday I got a puck of D.R. Harris Arlington. Nice.

I have enough soap to last for many years but I've been on the fence about buying a puck of Arlington. You guys are making it difficult to resist!

I have enough soap to last for many years but I've been on the fence about buying a puck of Arlington. You guys are making it difficult to resist!
Ask yourself if you enjoy floral scents. Arlington is a powdery, leafy citrus/floral. My mom worked in a florist for many years and the scent has that certain quality to it that reminds me of that...and I don't really enjoy it. But like all Harris products, the performance is top.

Top Bottom