What's new

U.S. Gillettes vs English Gillettes.

Is one better than the other? I really can't imagine the Brits manufacturing anything to the same quality standards as here in the U.S..

I can say the TTO action on my British Parat is smoother than on my Super Speed...The TTO action on my British #15 & #16 Aristocrats is the smoothest I have ever encountered on any TTO DE razor...

The British versions are widely considered to be more aggressive than their American counterparts. As for quality, they appear to be on par with the American razors.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I can say the TTO action on my British Parat is smoother than on my Super Speed...The TTO action on my British #15 & #16 Aristocrats is the smoothest I have ever encountered on any TTO DE razor...
Indeed. I have observed the same.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

images(2)_2.jpg

They don't have a NEW SC over there! :a11:

I satisfied that question by owning several British made Gillette razors and they are not better. Some are made a little different but do not offer a better shave. Some have Rhodium plating.

I've only a few English Gillettes. They do seem to be of better quality. The Rocket I have, English version of the Flare tip, opens and closes so smoothly, it feels like it's filled with hydraulic fluid. The threading on my Flat Bottom Tech is so well cut, you can almost feel vacuum pressure escaping around the threads.

Gillette England definitely went their own way. Think of the RFB, Flat Bottom NEW, etc, that have no US analog.

Shave wise, YMMV as to whether they are better.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The Rocket I have, English version of the Flare tip, opens and closes so smoothly, it feels like it's filled with hydraulic fluid.

Thats what I found with my Brit Rocket vs my US D2 SS. Once closed they both feel equally solid, but the TTO mechanism feels distinctly different. Shaves are comparable but I find my SS slightly milder than my Brit Rocket.

Likewise a US D2 date Gillette Tech vs a Brit post war Tech. The Brit is slightly more aggressive but I feel the US Tech is of slightly higher quality.

You might find this of some help: British vs USA Made Razors (PIC HEAVY)

British Aristocrats beat their US counterparts hands down (top half of my avatar is US, the bottom is Brit)! Where the Brits lost was early gold plating - that, and when the Brits started copying the US with the #22/#66 the Brits fell to our level.

The Brit RFB NEWs are another example, and the Canadian NEW Regent is sublime (they're part of the Commonwealth, after all).

My daily driver is a Brit Aristo!

The British-made Gillettes do generally shave a bit differently from the corresponding US models; whether they are "better" in this regard is a YMMV kind of thing. But in terms of build quality, I think the Brits are clearly superior, especially the TTO versions like the Parat, Rocket and Aristocrats. They're a little heavier and, like others have noted, the mechanics are smoother and more precise than the US counterparts.

I don't think there's a universal rule that one country made better Gillette razors than the other. The 1934-36 US Aristocrats were on a par for quality with the British ones, but the post-war US models I have, although nice, don't seem quite as precisely made and finished as most of the UK ones. The British New RFB is an outstanding razor, IMO, and beats its nearest US equivalents into a cocked hat, but the US-made Fatboy and Slim I have seem of very high quality.

I'm inclined to say that German Non-Gillettes are better. :001_tt2:

On a more serious note: there are too many DE razors makes around that their quality could be boiled down to the nation of their production site.

I'm confused, US TTO's have stood the test of time same as British TTO's, so how could British razors be made better.

The opening and closing of a razor doesn't make it shave better.

From the razors I've compared, the specs are basically the same on both sides of the pond that are made around the same years.

There's absolutely no reason to chase British razors for a better shave, they do not shave better! You are simply paying for a different blade loading experience.

I have both a Canadian Tech, and a British Tech. The plating is so much better than the Canadian Tech, the razor is 60 years old and it looks brand new.
The shave is more aggressive with the British Tech than the Canadian version.
I believe that the Canadian and US Tech are pretty much the same in quality, just that the Canadian are a little more aggressive than the US counterpart.

They are my favorites (12) and I agree that the TTO action does seem smoother that the US counterparts. I really like the look too. As for a superior shave not sure. I get great shaves from most my Gillette's.

Fully agree. Funny actually, I just thought of that specific detail yesterday when opening and closing my 'Crat a number of times just for fun because I haven't used it for a while. My British Aristocrat has a totally awesome TTO action, really A LOT better than any others I've encountered so far. It feels out of this world smooth!!

Still I love and prefer my American Techs and Super-Speds though because they just shave better for me - and their TTO work just fine. But the 'Crat. WOW. I have a British Tech incoming, look forward to see how it shaves and feels compared to my beloved US one.

Last edited:
I'm confused, US TTO's have stood the test of time same as British TTO's, so how could British razors be made better.

The opening and closing of a razor doesn't make it shave better.

From the razors I've compared, the specs are basically the same on both sides of the pond that are made around the same years.

There's absolutely no reason to chase British razors for a better shave, they do not shave better! You are simply paying for a different blade loading experience.
We're not saying the British razors shave better , only the quality of craftsmanship of the fit & finish , the mechanics and closer tolerances are superior....I find the 15 & 16 to be very mild and even though one is closed comb , one is open comb , the smoothness of shave is equal on my face...

Top Bottom