What's new

Types of Pipe Tobacco Cuts

I have been more of a cigar smoker and I've only been pipe smoking for a couple months (thanks to B&B), and have run across a plethora of different types of tobacco "cuts". I was hoping that some of you guys can take some pics showing different types of cuts and brief explanation of each cut and how they differ and how they are similar. I kind of have an idea of most of the cuts, but a definitive answers with some pics from some of the more knowledgeable guys would be greatly appreciated. I know for a fact that I have yet to come across a rope cut. If I can get enough info, I'm hoping that I can use it to write up something in the wiki. The cuts that I know of are:

1) Ribbon Cut
2) Shag cut
3) Spun Cut
4) Flake Cut
5) plug cut
6) Rope Cut
7) Broken Flake *added by suggestion of Commander Quan*
8) Long Flake *added by suggestion of Commander Quan*

Please feel free to add anything I have missed.

Thanks fellas!

Last edited:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
It's possible you've seen a rope and mistaken it for a dog turd.

proxy.php

In addition to your list I'd add Broken Flake & Long Flake,

It's possible you've seen a rope and mistaken it for a dog turd.

proxy.php

In addition to your list I'd add Broken Flake & Long Flake,

edited original post and added broken flake & long flake. Do you know of specific tobaccos that come in rope cut?

It really does look like dog turd!

Crimp cut, I guess it would be a cut up ribbon (prince albert)
Cube cut, like it sounds. Pressed tobacco (like a flake) cut into little cubes

You might find this interesting, this information comes from the brand manager Leonard Wortzel from Lane Ltd. I include a couple of other cuts in my list (granulated [similar to cube], broken-flake [similar to ready-rubbed], Crumble Cake [pressed ribbon], Cavendish cut [very broad cut]), but it's interesting to see what 'the pros' use as a benchmark.
Pipe Tobacco: Standard Cuts
Most pipe tobaccos, and the majority of the pipe tobaccos in Lane’s portfolio, are cut following the casing and top flavor process. Here are the most common cuts:

Loose Cut: A long, thin ribbon cut.Commonly found in many Captain Black and Lane Bulk blends.
Broad Cut: The thickest cut, about twice as wide as a loose cut. Commonly used with air-cured Virginia which is then used to blend with other cuts.
Cross Cut: A broad cut that is cut twice, creating small squares.

Pipe Tobacco: Pressed Cuts
With pressed cuts the tobacco is placed under extreme pressure and varying degrees of heat for an extended period oftime. The tobacco emerges in compressed cakes or rolls. A bit of fermentation also occurs during the process, which gives the tobacco a fuller, rounder taste. Pressed cuts usually contain little or no top flavor.

Flake: The tobacco is placed under very high pressure varying degrees of heat. When the tobacco cake emerges, it is sliced into thin flakes, typically about 1-2 inches wide and 0.1 inches thick. You fold or lightly rub the flake to put it in your pipe.
Ready Rubbed: Flake that has been created under slightly less pressure. The flake is partially separated so it can be readily smoked or combined with other cuts.
Cube Cut: Flake tobacco that has been cut into small cubes.
Roll Cake: Flake tobacco that is sliced more thinly than normal. The flakes are then rolled into a tight tube. Finally they are sliced again. The result is a thin medallion.
Spun Cut: A time-intensive process where tobacco leaves are hand rolled into thin ropes as much as 60 feet long. The rope is then placed under compression and ultimately sliced into medallions, similar to roll cake.

Pipe Tobacco Mixtures
“Mixture” is a term often seen on pipe tobacco packages. As the name implies, it is simply a mix of different tobacco types, cuts and flavors.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing that, looks like it answers alot of questions!

You might find this interesting, this information comes from the brand manager Leonard Wortzel from Lane Ltd. I include a couple of other cuts in my list (granulated [similar to cube], broken-flake [similar to ready-rubbed], Crumble Cake [pressed ribbon], Cavendish cut [very broad cut]), but it's interesting to see what 'the pros' use as a benchmark.

Top Bottom