What's new

Two showers a day

I shave, shower, and then splash on some A/S before heading into work in the morning. At lunch time I typically go to the gym 3-4 times during week where I do my typical workout and shower. My skin has been taking a beating and is starting to become very dry. Does anyone have a recommendation for a soap that would be good for moisturizing my skin while leaving me with a nice scent. I have to shower in the morning as it’s the only way I wake up so there is no way of getting around 2 showers on those days. I also don't want to bring any A/S or cologne with me as I have to bring my gym bag into work and don't want an overpowering smell to be too offensive to co-workers. If there is either a good soap (bar preferably) or even an after shower body moisturizer that has a lasting scent I would much appreciate your thoughts and opinions.
Thank you

I hope those are Navy showers you're taking, polar bears are crying man.
Maybe try something with shea butter in it?

I also shower twice a day for the same reasons you do: pre work and post-workout. My skin gets very dry in the winter, not as much in the summer. It doesn't seem to change that much based on the soap I use. I have had very good results with two different products: Burts Bees Lemon and Vitamin E Body oil and Eucerin Calming Cream. If I use the oil, I apply it while still in the shower (be careful, the shower floor can become slippery). If I use the Eucerin lotion, I apply it first thing after the shower. Both last at least 12-14 hours between showers because I can easily detect their presence when I get in the shower. Hope this helps.

Try showering in the coolest water you can stand. Hot water is much harder on the skin-increased dilation of the superficial blood vessels and dissolving natural skin oils. Simple Dove soap is really pretty good and try using soap only where you really need it-you know- letting the rest of you rinse with water only. Since you are washing 2x day this should work. If you need more then Eucerin based products work well.

The oil is an interesting idea. My showers are short and typically just luke warm as I use it as sort of a cool down after the workout. I did buy a random bar of Alighiero Campostrini Neviol al Latte milk bar soap from Tuesday morning that actually seems to be working a lttle bit. Thank you for your input.

Last edited:
Hot water plus soap will leave your skin dry and damaged. If the shower is just post gym then a rinse to get the sweat off is fine. Your best bet regarding skin dryness is to drink lots of water and use a mild lotion. When you take showers often, you are taking off the layer of fats and oils that keep your skin moisturized. Soap does this a lot.

My recommendation is to use a mild soap, Ivory soap comes to mind, or use an artisan soap from Italy. You can find those soaps cheaply at T.J. Maxx, Ross, Marshals, and any discount thrift store. If you have access to a natural foods store, visit their soap isles, there is plenty of natural mild soaps you can try to see what works for you.

You can also use a mild lotion after every shower. I use Neutrogena oil free moisturizer with SPF 15. Technically it is for my face, but it is mild, scentless, and does not leave a residue like some of the other lotions. So I find it perfect for my arms right after a shower.

The last recommendation that I have is an odd one. I never tried this myself, but my dermatologist recommended it and she has been doing this for years. Jojoba and olive oil mixed in equal parts. My dermatologist says it is moisturizing for your skin, though I never tried it for myself. Just mix them in equal parts, and add some essential oils of your choice for scent.

I have had really good luck with the CO Bigelow black for shower gel and their white elixir lotion for after the shower.

For my hands I usually use cornhusker's lotion at night before bed and put my hands in a pair of old glove inserts. It feels odd the first couple of times but it really does wonders for the hands and feet. Here in Upstate NY mine were cracking quite bad.

Cheers,
Mike

Top Bottom