What's new

Two odd DIY brush handles for your amusement.

IMG_20230727_175534.jpg

Two odd DIY brush handles for your amusement. Feel free to laugh!

I've had two cheap badger knots lying around for ages. I decided to make something of them even if the results were rough.
IMG_20230727_175306.jpg
IMG_20230727_175836.jpg

The first I just glued into a 1.25" brass walking stick ferrule! I added some coins inside at the bottom to help centre it and make sure it went in flat at the correct height. It feels heavy for its size, at 60g/2oz. It fits perfectly into a tube from an old travel shaving kit. It gives surprisingly good grip, especially at the top edge of the ferrule.

IMG_20230727_175456.jpg
IMG_20230727_175420.jpg

The second I made a handle from some "Polymorph" thermoplastic. You heat it in very hot water, fish it out then mould it. I was thinking of a very different shape but it didn't work out so I evened out the sides and base before it cooled and got this. It's actually quite nice to use and can be held in several ways. In fact it's so good that I wonder if a similar design already exists. It would be good for people with arthritis etc. You could call it a half-beehive? I could easily make the handle longer by adding more Polymorph, but I really like it the way it is. There's no point turning it into a cheap looking copy of brush handles I already have. This has a 'USP', so I'll keep it this way.

If by any chance anyone wants to copy/manufacture the half-beehive design, go for it!

Cool! I like using finger tip grips on short handles. The fit into the travel tube is a great bonus.
Indeed. Overall it's slightly shorter than my other, tiny brush that fits in the tube (Edwin Jagger pure badger), but has significantly more volume in the knot. A good result. The EJ has its charm, but also limitation.
IMG_20230728_002002.jpg

Well done, I love the ingenuity! From your first picture, I thought you were going to make a brush handle out of an Arko stick!

Top Bottom