What's new

Tungsten cobalt rings

Are you talking wedding bands?

I'm a traditional guy so gold is what I would consider. I know they use Tungsten and Titanium but to me they ain't jewelry metals however the stuff is very hard and heavy and tuff as nails so it should keep it's looks a very long time.

I think you mean Tungsten Carbide I never heard of Cobalt used like that.

I have a tungsten carbide ring for my wedding band. Looks great, and wont get scratched. Like it a lot. Remember though, where tough, is also brittle so can break if under high pressure or impact.

proxy.php

Legion

Staff member
And if you have to have it removed for some reason and it wont slip off they may have to take the finger. :lol:

And if you have to have it removed for some reason and it wont slip off they may have to take the finger. :lol:

They can't cut it off, but I believe they could crush/break/snap it. I looked it up and they can be removed, albeit differently than traditional rings.

Ben

They can't cut it off, but I believe they could crush/break/snap it. I looked it up and they can be removed, albeit differently than traditional rings.

Ben

Our ring cutters would not even make a scratch on it. We would have to use a die grinder and a lot of water to cut it off.

V

VR6ofpain

Anyone have any? Thoughts, opinions?

You talking Tungsten carbide or just Tungsten rings as well? They sell these under various names. My wedding band is an 8mm wide polished Tungsten ring. I like it a lot. Tons of heft, doesn't take big scratches (only micro ones you have to look really close to see). So yes, don't believe the "scratch proof" advertisements.

I have heard the only way EMT's can remove them in an emergency is with some laser machine. Obviously the cutting tools they have are not strong enough to get through this hard metal.

I had a titanium band for a while (promise ring) It actually wound up with a scuffed look. They were all tiny scratches though, and polished out with some Mother's polishing compound.

As for Tungsten carbide, it's hard, and Cobalt Steel is harder than the hardened steel of exhaust studs. Not sure if it's related. I would expect the cobalt ...something? To be stronger than the other material. Maybe.

As for cutting it off... I'd rather have a ring that will crack or shatter, and fall off than bend and crush/cut off my finger.

Yup! One of my friends has one for a wedding band and I told him his wife did it on purpose so that he can't have it sized so as he gains weight in life it will eventually be too tough to remove and the only way he'll be able to get rid of her is to forfeit a finger. :lol:

i have an 8mm tungsten wedding band. i love the weight and how dark the metal is. it's very clearly not silver or nickel. it's made with a sintering process, which i dealt with a little in school, so that's also a plus for me. also, the 8mm size is a lot larger than most people's rings, so it really screams "I'M MARRIED!". :lol:

the jeweler i got mine from said the early ones had cobalt, but it would stain and sometimes also turn your hand green, so they don't use it anymore.

to get them off in an emergency, i've heard of hitting it with a hammer, or using a vise or visegrips.

I'm currently wearing a tungsten wedding ring. I've had titanium and a few others. I'm hard on rings. The titanium was light as a feather but scratched easily and looked like crap after a couple years. The tungsten ring was said to be indestructible but it's not. It still looks as good as new but I've put a few scratches & chips in it. Overall the tungsten ring has been the best looking and the longest lasting. Heavy too, feels good. If you're in the market for alternatives to standard jewelry metals I recommend tungsten.

Legion

Staff member
If you want a truly scratch proof (or at least super scratch resistant) ring your best bet is zirconium oxide ceramic. Some people get funny about the fact that they do not look metallic, though. But, in 50+ years it will still look like the day it was made.

If you want a truly scratch proof (or at least super scratch resistant) ring your best bet is zirconium oxide ceramic. Some people get funny about the fact that they do not look metallic, though. But, in 50+ years it will still look like the day it was made.

Interesting, looks like black glass in the picture. How does it feel?

proxy.php

Legion

Staff member
Interesting, looks like black glass in the picture. How does it feel?

proxy.php

Like black glass. :biggrin1:

Actually, it looks a little different than that in real life. It almost has a gunmetal metallic sheen to it... hard to explain. But you can tell it is not glass. I like it.

proxy.php

Last edited:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
to get them off in an emergency, i've heard of hitting it with a hammer, or using a vise or visegrips.
Exactly.

If you are looking for tungsten rings, make sure you only get one has a size replacement policy. Tungsten can't be re-sized, and if you're finger changes sizes you can return yours, and get a new one for a small charge.

This is the wedding band I wear. I like it a lot.
8MM WIDE TUNGSTEN BAND WITH A FLAT CENTER AND GROOVED EDGE AND A 2MM INLAY OF STERLING SILVER. POLISH FINISH. though the silver does scratch quite easily.

8mm Tungsten Carbide wedding band here, as well. The beveled edge is great for carving down a jagged/torn finger nail. I don't know how I ever figured that out, but I've used it many times.

The crazy thing is that 3 years ago we saw one at a local jeweler, but it had a diamond in it. The shop keeper told me it would cost over $600 to get one WITHOUT the diamond, because it would be a specialty order- as the only ones in production supposedly had the diamond (and could be had for cheaper because of quantities of scale). About 3 months later we went on Overstock . com and found mine for around $90. Now you can get the same one there for $58!

8pm tungsten carbide on wedding day. Traded for a 7pm titanium because it was slightly too big and I didn't like how heavy it was - you really know you are wearing it.

Tungsten scratches more easily than TCarbide: mine never scratched at all.

You can remove them with a vice grip - set it slightly smaller than the ring and crack it.

That sounds awesome.

My wedding band is a 6mm titanium band with a 4mm inlay of sterling silver swirled with copper. The wife's is a plain 2mm titanium band. We found them as a set on etsy (shop is here) and didn't have to pay an arm and a leg for them. I've noticed the titanium does scuff a bit, but I'm not overly concerned about it. If I absolutely have to, I can always polish the scuffs out.

Top Bottom