What's new

Tuck at a Time (TaaT)

Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Pre-Shave: cold water splash / YBN Glycerin
Razor: Mühle Rocca R95
Blade: Suneko Amorphous Diamond (3/7)
Brush: Mühle Purist Silvertip Badger Ebonite
Bowl: DSC scuttle
Soap: Smoking Monster - Golden Dragon (tallow - unscented)
A/S: Two Girls - Florida Water (decant / diluted with Thayers Witch Hazel)
Aftercare: Aloe Vera Gelly
EdT: Zino Davidoff

Rushed shave this morning...still DFS. Nothing more to wish for. Outstanding blade, it's up there with the Greats!
Love that handle on that razor. Looks like birch bark. Reminds me of a traditional Finish Puuko knife.

Evening shave - 5/14/24
Razor: KCG
Blade: Ladas Stainless Steel (1/5) (3)
Soap: BSS #1
Brush: Omega 10065
Aftershave: Stetson Cooling Moisture
Rating: 9/10, DFS+
More comfortable shave than previous one. However, still a bit tightness of the skin, but not a lot. Plenty close shave. I just had a couple of spots with short stubble left in my normal troublesome areas.

Love that handle on that razor. Looks like birch bark. Reminds me of a traditional Finish Puuko knife.
It is indeed birch bark. Not the entire handle, I think there is a tube where the birch bark is put around. It’s a great material, the handle is incredibly grippy especially when wet. It also is a good combination between the wood and the matte stainless steel. Apart from all that it’s also a great shaver.

It is indeed birch bark. Not the entire handle, I think there is a tube where the birch bark is put around. It’s a great material, the handle is incredibly grippy especially when wet. It also is a good combination between the wood and the matte stainless steel. Apart from all that it’s also a great shaver.
Yeah I am sure there is a tube inside there. Here is an example of a Finish Puuko if you have never seen one.
1715775208067.png

Morning shave - 5/16/24
Razor: KCG
Blade: Ladas Stainless Steel (1/5) (4)
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft RR400
Rating: 9.75/10, DFS++
Ahh now that is a shave. Smooth, comfortable and oh so sweet. Efficient and easy to use razor that yielded an effortless marble like shave. I could get used to this.

IMG_6763.jpeg

Friday, May 17, 2024

Pre-Shave: cold water splash / YBN Glycerin Skin Care
Razor: DSC AX Ti 1.55 mm with Ti Destroyer handle
Blade: Suneko Amorphous Diamond (4/7)
Brush: Arno Brush, 26 mm Classic #12, Gen5 synthetic
Soap: Barrier & Mann Seville (sample) + Speick Shaving Cream (for Superlather)
A/S: POLA - Galantom II after shave lotion
Aftercare: Thayer Witch Hazel Unscented / Aloe Vera Gelly
EdT: Chanel - Bleu de Chanel

I just got the DSC AX Ti head yesterday and today was my first shave with it. I was a bit reluctant to use the exceptionally sharp Suneko in this head, because this DSC AX has an astonishingly scary blade gap of 1.55 mm (the Mühle Rocca as a blade gap of .8 mm and the DSC V92 has .92 mm).

Luckily I had nothing to worry about. The blade performed outstandingly well in this razor and though the blade gap is rather larger, exposure is not. Is this razor aggressive? Yeah, but not overly. I would say this is a very direct razor where the blade feedback is always present.

Oh, and I am quite relieved that I didn't toss the other four Suneko tucks into the trash. I truly enjoy these blades in all the razors I have tried them in.

View attachment 1847483
Friday, May 17, 2024

Pre-Shave: cold water splash / YBN Glycerin Skin Care
Razor: DSC AX Ti 1.55 mm with Ti Destroyer handle
Blade: Suneko Amorphous Diamond (4/7)
Brush: Arno Brush, 26 mm Classic #12, Gen5 synthetic
Soap: Barrier & Mann Seville (sample) + Speick Shaving Cream (for Superlather)
A/S: POLA - Galantom II after shave lotion
Aftercare: Thayer Witch Hazel Unscented / Aloe Vera Gelly
EdT: Chanel - Bleu de Chanel

I just got the DSC AX Ti head yesterday and today was my first shave with it. I was a bit reluctant to use the exceptionally sharp Suneko in this head, because this DSC AX has an astonishingly scary blade gap of 1.55 mm (the Mühle Rocca as a blade gap of .8 mm and the DSC V92 has .92 mm).

Luckily I had nothing to worry about. The blade performed outstandingly well in this razor and though the blade gap is rather larger, exposure is not. Is this razor aggressive? Yeah, but not overly. I would say this is a very direct razor where the blade feedback is always present.

Oh, and I am quite relieved that I didn't toss the other four Suneko tucks into the trash. I truly enjoy these blades in all the razors I have tried them in.
Very nice looking razor there!

Morning shave - 5/17/24
Razor: Swing SB
Blade: Ladas Stainless Steel (1/5) (5)
Rating: 9.5/10, DFS+
That was a very pleasant shave. Tried to cut down a bit on shave time so I went for 2.5 pass and I still had a very nice and close shave. No irritation. Blade and razor performing perfectly.

IMG_6779.jpeg

Preshave: cold water splash/ YBN Glycerin
Razor: DSC AX Ti (1.55 mm) Destroyer handle
Blade: Suneko Amorphous Diamond (5/7) (1)
Brush: Arno Classic #12, Gen5
Soap: Smoking Monster - Red Dragon / TOBS Cedarwood
A/S: Two Girls - Florida Water
Aftercare: Aloe Vera Gelly
EdP: Creed - Himalaya

Second shave with the DSC AX Titanium head and a new Suneko blade. I just had to try this razor once more and put it through its paces. Both the DSC head and Suneko blade did not disappoint and presented me with a lovely BBS. The Suneko is one of those blades which are quite long lasting, 4-5 shaves with one blade have been reported, I haven’t done that yet but I might try for 3-4 shaves per blade when I revisit the next tuck.

Today’s blade will have a second performance in the AX head on Monday morning. Until then, have a great weekend gentlemen.

Finish Partial Tuck (3 blades) - Gillette Platinum

These Gillette Platinum blades are an enigma. 3 blades used 3 times each, 2 razors, 9 completely different shaves.

I had mentioned my first shave at the start of the tuck giving a DFS+ shave without having to work at it. This was in my Progress razor. Second shave the blade sharpened up... a LOT. It got wickedly sharp and gave an effortless shave as well. It was probably one of the closest shaves ever. But, that was probably due it being so sharp that it was like dermaplaning. My face was smooth throughout the day, but sensitive as hell. Not red, irritation, or rashy, just sensitive. However, on the third shave the sharpness was completely gone and it struggled through some areas. Still DFS shave.

The second blade I used in my Weber razor. This one had some issues with tugging in certain areas, but DFS+. The second shave was later that night, so 15 hours later. Based on previous blade with second time being so sharp I figured this should take care of any stubble with no problem. Nope. Didn't sharpen up and required usual 2.5 passes to get the DFS, which was very disappointing. The third shave was with 1.5 days growth, and this just struggled through it. Required multiple touch-ups. Was able to get DFS.

The third blade was back in the Progress. The first shave went ok but required touch-ups. The second shave didn't sharpen up, had some tugging, and also required touch-ups. The third shave had more tugging but didn't require touch-ups. DFS+ on all three shaves.

So, while I was able to get decent end results out of all the shaves with these blades, I had no idea what I was in for each time I picked up the razor. I can appreciate variety in shaving, but not necessarily within the same blade brand. There should be some level of consistency - whether for each shave with a blade, or how it changes from shave to shave. I don't need to be surprised every morning.

IMG_6789.jpeg

Monday, May 20, 2024

Pre-shave: cold water splash/YBN Glycerin
Razor: DSC AX Ti (1.55mm)
Blade: Suneko Amorphous Diamond (5/7) (2)
Brush: Mühle Silvertip Badger Ebonite
Soap: Southern Witchcrafts- Desairology
A/S: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve
Aftercare: Thayers Witch Hazel Unscented / Aloe Vera Gel
EdP: Tom Ford - Oud Wood

Second shave with this blade in the DSC AX Ti. The result is an amazing BBS, and that with my third shave with this new razor and the second shave with this particular Suneko blade. As I stated before, Suneko’s get better after the first shave and they are great in an efficient razor such as the AX.

There are two more blades to go in this partial tuck, but they’ll be in two different razors. Can’t wait for next week to open a new tuck of first time blades.

Morning shave - 5/18/24
Blade: Ladas Stainless Steel (1/5) (6)
Rating: 7/10, SAS
Quick morning shave to get off the worst of the stubble. I knew I was going to shave in the evening so I did not want to puch my luck and do a full three pass shave. It was good enough for the day's endeavours, but not really a satisfying one. Still it served it's purpose.

Evening shave - 5/18/24
Blade: Ladas Stainless Steel (1/5) (7)
Rating: 10/10, BBS
What a pleasant last shave for this blade and a rare BBS at that! A great way to cap off a great shave week. Super smooth and comfortable. Blade could have easily have gone a few more shaves. Not a lick of irritation.

Fresh blade.....
Evening shave - 5/19/24
Razor: Merkur 41C
Blade: Ladas Stainless Steel (2/5) (1)
Rating: 9.5/10, DFS+
Time to pull out the Merkur 41C again and get some shaves on it. Just going back and looking at my previous shaves with this razor it confirmed my feelings about it. It feels quite inefficient. I was still able to get quite a close and respectable shave with it, but it took a lot of work to get there. Also, something that I did not notice last time is that it seems like one side of the razor is more efficient than the other and there seems to be a slight alignment issue. I tried to adjust it but to no avail. Anyways a good shave.

Evening shave - 5/20/24
Blade: Ladas Stainless Steel (2/5) (2)
Brush: Omega 81052 Banded Boar
Rating: 9/10, DFS+
A bit rougher shave last night than previous one. My lather was not up to par and I probably was a bit heavy handed. I had a bit of skin tightness and sensitivity under my jawline. Still quite the close shave and very respectable.

Persuade me.... I have a surplus of tucks, but I like to sample 1 blade for a week and determine whether it can last me at least 20,3 pass shaves. I love the challenge but I don't know if I can commit to a full tuck. But I love this.

IMG_6794.jpeg

Sixth Suneko from the partial tuck of seven. One more shave to go. Hell of a blade, working perfectly with this brass razor from DSC. No BBS today, but a great DFS again in 2 passes.

Everything went incredibly smooth and efficient with no irritation, nicks or weepers. I'm very glad that I didn't write the SUNEKO's off. It goes to show that it has value to revisit a blade and stick to it for a while, if it doesn't feel right for the first or second shaves.

Persuade me.... I have a surplus of tucks, but I like to sample 1 blade for a week and determine whether it can last me at least 20,3 pass shaves. I love the challenge but I don't know if I can commit to a full tuck. But I love this.
Thank you for stopping by here. It looks from your post that you are where I used to be about 8-10 months ago. I also used one blade at the time for an entire week in my case, but I see you use your blades even longer. 20 shaves out of each blade is quite the accomplishment. You must be an Excalibur! Much respect!

I started doing this tuck at a time for a couple of reasons. First it cleans up your den. One thing that I did not like was a bunch of half used tucks laying around everywhere. It was just messy. I did not like that and this was a way out of that. I now have no loose blades nor opened tucks around only the one I am currently using. Very simple.

A second reason is that you learn the blades much much better than with a single blade. Furthermore, you will also easier notice quality inconsistencies with a particular blade since you use multiple blades back to back of the same. As an example look at @m949's quote below..
Sixth Suneko from the partial tuck of seven. One more shave to go. Hell of a blade, working perfectly with this brass razor from DSC. No BBS today, but a great DFS again in 2 passes.

Everything went incredibly smooth and efficient with no irritation, nicks or weepers. I'm very glad that I didn't write the SUNEKO's off. It goes to show that it has value to revisit a blade and stick to it for a while, if it doesn't feel right for the first or second shaves.
What he found was that the blade he used a while back was not so bad after all. By using several blades back to back he was able to discover this. If you just use one blade to evaluate it you do not get that.

I think a third reason is that it teaches us discipline. Yes this type of discipline is a good one. Perseverance might be a good word for it as well. Learning to stick with something until the end. I know I need more of that in my life in general. Is it the most fun or exciting way to do things? Maybe not, but I think it gives us a different appreciation of things.

Remember that a "boring" shave is a great shave. What I mean is a consistent shave is a great shave. Our goal, at least my goal, is to have consistently solid shaves without much ups and downs with irritation, nicks etc etc. Hence a "boring" consistent shave. If we flounder around with too much variability, too often it is much more difficult to have steady shave results.

Now we all like to change things up here are there and that is why I did not suggest to use a whole pack of 100 at a time. I probably could not do that myself, but we can do one tuck. Sure for some like myself and for you, if you decided to do this, it means that you use a blade for quite some time before changing. I use up a tuck in about 5 weeks and for you it would be even longer. No matter what do, do what you feel most comfortable with and just enjoy!

Evening shave - 5/21/24
Blade: Ladas Stainless Steel (2/5) (3)
Brush: RazoRock RR400
Rating: 8.5/10, DFS+
This razor seems to be a bit of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde to me. It feels quite mild, but it is causing me irritation and at an increasing amount. I may have to swap to a different one for the rest of the week. Anyways, the shave was ok. I did stir up two weepers, but it was a plenty close shave.

Remember that a "boring" shave is a great shave. What I mean is a consistent shave is a great shave. Our goal, at least my goal, is to have consistently solid shaves without much ups and downs with irritation, nicks etc etc. Hence a "boring" consistent shave. If we flounder around with too much variability, too often it is much more difficult to have steady shave results.
^ This ^ I don't need excitement - that usually means break out the styptic. I just want to get a great shave each and every time.

As much as I also like to change things up, I got over the new type of blade every time thing pretty quickly. I am getting a better understanding of how each blade brand/type works for me with my gear. Now, I am impressed with anyone who can get the longevity out of a blade like you can, as my typical use lasts 3 decent shaves with the possibility of pushing it to 4. But, by spending more time with a whole tuck, that might change and 4 becomes my norm with possibility of 5. Then again, it might only be 2 shaves. I don't know - it depends on the blade. And spending more time with them I can figure that out.

Now, granted, a full 5 blade tuck for me typically would be 15 days' worth as opposed to you with an average of 35 days (up to 100 days if you get 20 per) so it is quicker for me to change tucks. But I'm not going to try to persuade you or twist your arm. This is a personal journey for each of us. Only you can determine if this is something you want to do. And, you know, you can always give it a shot and if it turns out that it isn't for you then stop. No worries.

Top Bottom