What's new

Trying to find a local honing service (Twin Cities, Minnesota)

Howdy, apologies if this is redundant. I haven't been on here in years and couldn't find it in a search. I'm hoping to find a local honemeister for my razors. I used to hone myself, but don't really have the bandwidth lately and would prefer to avoid shipping.

Is there anyone/anyplace that does this in the Twin Cities? I had someone in Saint Paul take care of my first one years ago but it looks like his profile on here isn't active anymore.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This may be of some assistance.

I don't really know anyone here running a razor honing service. Closest to the area is Stefan/Mainaman who lives outside Des Moines.
I know Randy in St.Paul used to hone back in the day but I don't think he does anymore.

Last edited:
A local honemeister would be sweet, but may be too niche a thing to have one in every city. The closest person to me who I know of is in Rhode Island. Might be worth creating a thread asking for folks who hone and wouldn't mind honing for others (for a little $$$) to chime in with their interest and whereabouts.

On a related topic for maybe anyone in SW Michigan, does Maggard's still do honing? I see via a Google search they had a PDF form for sending a blade in for sharpening/restoration but I don't see the service listed on their actual Web site. I was going to email them to ask, jic.

Looking for honing service was ultimately what brought me to this site, although I decided to figure out how to do it on my own. But, first class postage is cheap and the postal service has been pretty fast over the last few months.

You can up look up local sharpening services; however, not all sharpeners service SRs. The best money to be made is servicing commercial clients like the forest service, butcher shops, restaurants, and tree and lawn service operators. They’ll pay for thirty to fifty items at one time…time is money. Hard to make any money doing SRs nowadays. With today’s gas prices offering drive up professional sharpening services for two or three pieces is out of the question.

I don't really know anyone here running a razor honing service. Closest to the area is Stefan/Mainaman who lives outside Des Moines.
I know Randy in St.Paul used to hone back in the day but I don't think he does anymore.
Randy is the guy who sharpened my first razor, I think, back in 2008. I've been doing my own ever since. Might have to settle for shipping mine in to some place.

Randy is the guy who sharpened my first razor, I think, back in 2008. I've been doing my own ever since. Might have to settle for shipping mine in to some place.
I recently sent one to Alfredo in RI and the whole process, door-to-door and back took less than a week and half, and that was including the Easter weekend.

Yeah Randy is a great guy and mentor. He showed me the basics when I was starting.

Top Bottom