What's new

Trying to figure out some inks

Well, I'm working on developing a base number of ink bottles to write with on a regular basis. My pens are Pilot Metros, Jinhaos with Goulet F and EF nibs, and the infamous Noodler's Nib Creaper and Ahab flexpens.

I've already bought some PR Ebony Purple and PR Black Magic Blue.

I think for a solid blue I will be going with PR's DC Electric Blue (I lean towards darker colors, but don't want to go blue-black). For browns, I'm leaning towards Noodler's Nightshade but will be trying some "chocolates" from Goulet Pens.

Where I'm getting stuck is in a dark reddish-purple. I really like both Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses and De Atramentis' Alexander Hamilton. The problem is that they seem to behave very differently in different pens, and I can't quite figure out if it's the pen, my messing with the nibs, or what.

BSIAR seems to be nice and dark with great shading in flex pens. In non-flex pens, however, it seems to look lighter - dark pink.

Alexander Hamilton is the opposite - dark in my Ahab with a Goulet nib, but turns into a magenta with the flex nib (I can't get the darn Ahab flex nib to seat all the way in, and that's with pushing the feed in so far that I want to start over. I've spent the last 20 minutes playing with the nib/feed at my kitchen sink, and got some drops all over the place). I much prefer the darker, deep magenta-black with the Goulet nib.

I may end up just using Alexander Hamilton in my non-flex pens and BSIAR in the flex pens, but I was hoping that I could get them to both work well in both types of pens. Am I doing something wrong, or is this simply a natural consequence of different inks in different pens/nibs/feeds?

Am I doing something wrong, or is this simply how both inks behave in those types of pens?

just get both inks. :D Seriously though, don't limit yourself to just one ink per color. Inks are a lot like razor blades, their mileage varies from razor to razor and face to face.

Inks are very much dependent on the pens and the papers used. IMHO, the quality of the paper is key. Without it, you will get feathering, ghosting and little-to-no shading.

I tend to keep a few pens loaded with ink that will perform well on just about any kind of paper I might encounter. Iron-galls inks are excellent for everything from high quality paper to newsprint.

That said, the pens with affect how the inks are displayed. From the flow to the feed to the nib. It can be a bit of a balancing act finding which inks work best with which pens. Maybe an ink journal would assist you in keeping track of your combinations?

Good luck.

Top Bottom