What's new

My new ink sat out in 0F cold!

I ordered a bottle of Noodler's Ink Black, my first bottled ink, and was really excited. It got delivered to my outdoor mailbox while I was at work, and was exposed to temps no warmer than 15F and it was 0F when I pulled it out of the mailbox. The lid had cracked, some ink seeped out, and the ink seems like it was starting to solidify! My guess is that inks aren't meant to be frozen and thawed, and that this ink is probably not worth loading into a pen (I don't want to damage a nib!). I have an email out to Noodler's but as it is Friday night, I don't expect an answer. I may request a replacement from Amazon, but am not sure that is the route to go, given we are in a cold snap for the next few days to a week. It could just be a ground hog day situation!

And then I remembered this sub-forum and decided to ask you gents what you think about this situation. Thanks for reading and I look forward to the wisdom to be dispensed!

Yup....I can identify.

I ordered multiple bottles of Noodler's from Amazon, before I realized they were all going to come leaking.

Amazon refunded the full purchase price on all my bottles and let me keep the ink. But I will be buying local now that I know I can get it from a family run store here in town and it's cheaper. Even they said they don't order during certain months of the year. It was -25-30c when mine were delivered.

They seem to be fine for use. I don't think they is any worry about using them in a FP.

My Noodler's boxes were saturated with ink, label damage, no cracked lids or bottles, one seemed to solidify a bit, but it was minor and not frozen.

Last edited:
Yup....I can identify.

I ordered multiple bottles of Noodler's from Amazon, before I realized they were all going to come leaking.

Amazon refunded the full purchase price on all my bottles and let me keep the ink. But I will be buying local now that I know I can get it from a family run store here in town and it's cheaper. Even they said they don't order during certain months of the year. It was -25-30c when mine were delivered.

They seem to be fine for use. I don't think they is any worry about using them in a FP.

My Noodler's boxes were saturated with ink, label damage, no cracked lids or bottles, one seemed to solidify a bit, but it was minor and not frozen.
Thanks for the detailed information! It really helps me. I may try it in a few days. I should ask Amazon to refund the money. The ink did get all over the label, but I know what it is even if you can't read the label!

And I will be calling area stores to see if they carry it. Staples and Office Depot haven't shut them all down.

Thanks for the detailed information! It really helps me. I may try it in a few days. I should ask Amazon to refund the money. The ink did get all over the label, but I know what it is even if you can't read the label!

And I will be calling area stores to see if they carry it. Staples and Office Depot haven't shut them all down.
Go thru Amazon chat, problem with order, damaged or defective. I told the truth. Ink everywhere, damaged inner box, label. Only one rep asked if I could send it back. I told them I'd rather not as it was a mess and I still had ink all over the place from their delivery. They understood and refunded full price.

Google "fountain pen supplies 'city'". Someone had a thread on Reddit (not a user) for my town, but the thread had a few recommendations, which I would have never found on my own.

Now I can buy Noodler's and other bottles locally and see their swatches in person.

PXL_20220110_215354103.jpg

I live in Canada. I learned a long time ago. No online ink purchases from November till April.

I just placed my first order in Canada a couple of weeks ago through Wonder Pens.

They have it sent directly to the post office to be held for pickup to avoid it sitting outside and freezing and labeled well.

They even take some of the Noodler's and put it in a sample pack since they tend to fill theirs to the brim.

The Noodler's Raven and Waterman Tender Purple both came through unscathed - and we were having temps around -15⁰C at that time

Not that I am trying to encourage people to order other brands of ink by mail when there is a possibility of sub zero temps (it's probably never a good idea), but this is probably one time that Noodlers being filled to the brim is unhelpful.

Not that I am trying to encourage people to order other brands of ink by mail when there is a possibility of sub zero temps (it's probably never a good idea), but this is probably one time that Noodlers being filled to the brim is unhelpful.

That's why I thought Wonder Pens taking the extra step of transferring a good portion of my Noodler's Raven to a sample bottle was brilliant and that extra step of customer service that has earned them a return customer.

When ordering yeast for homebrew/wine/mead you can up charge to send the yeast in a with a cooler pack and ice pouch to not kill the yeast in the heat of summer. There is also a disclaimer to be wary of cold weather.

If you do need ink in the cold westher Noodler's do make Polar inks. I don't know what temp they eventually freeze but they could be option. I also don't know personally how well they perform.

I know when I have to inventory the freezer I switch to a pencil. Ball points, gel pens and Rollerballs freeze up.

That's why I thought Wonder Pens taking the extra step of transferring a good portion of my Noodler's Raven to a sample bottle was brilliant and that extra step of customer service that has earned them a return customer.
Have you heard anything about those WonderPen collaboration inks?

chrome_screenshot_1643047715844.png

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
My guess is that inks aren't meant to be frozen and thawed, and that this ink is probably not worth loading into a pen (I don't want to damage a nib!).

Ink, being mostly water, isn't meant to be frozen but ... like water ... once it melts again it's safe to use. That doesn't un-crack your lid, though.

Noodler's fills their bottles right to the brim, so ... there's no freezing expansion room and the lid is directly in the line of fire.

(Noodler's also makes "Polar" inks that don't freeze at "normal cold" temperatures, in case you are going to leave an inked pen in your car in the cold of winter.

Ink, being mostly water, isn't meant to be frozen but ... like water ... once it melts again it's safe to use. That doesn't un-crack your lid, though.

Noodler's fills their bottles right to the brim, so ... there's no freezing expansion room and the lid is directly in the line of fire.

(Noodler's also makes "Polar" inks that don't freeze at "normal cold" temperatures, in case you are going to leave an inked pen in your car in the cold of winter.

I had not heard back from Noodler's Ink, but I went ahead and loaded the squeeze converter for the Metropolitan. And it writes very well! I wrote on a piece of copy paper and then ran water over it. Yup, bullet-proof ink lives up to its reputation. :thumbup:

Top Bottom