What's new

Truefitt and Hill Rose first trial

To get started I’m not an expert by any means. I just enjoy wet shaving and I’ve been trying a variety of products over the last couple years. My current go-to brand is Truefitt and Hill. I don’t know why, but I get such a superior shave from TH vs say TOBS. I know this is a subjective thing but based on my personal technique, skin/hair type, and the blades I use TH gives me a much smoother shave. Maybe I’m not using enough water with TOBS but I get too much irritation and no BBS.

Moving on.. Today I tried TH rose for the first time today. My first impression of the scrent was not positive. TOBS rose has a very pleasant scent but TH when lathered has a very strong scent that seems to have a hint of fingernail polish remover to my nose. I’m usually over the moon for most TH scents, but the rose while it’s lathered hits me the wrong way.

Using my go-to Rapira Platinum blade, performance was superior as expected. The performance same as all TH cremes that I’ve tried. Soft and slick lather, BBS shave on 3 passes. I lather inbetween passes VS some just add water to the face bringing the residue of the first lather back to life. This might be the difference I’m seeing on TH vs TOBS.

Post shave was great and the rose scent on dry down is much better than during lather. On drydown I’d say not a pure rose scent but a good clean scent with Rose. Maybe the goal of the overpowering scent on lather is so it will linger post-shave. I wonder if it’s just ultra concentrated Rose that I’m not used to or an additional ingredient.

Truefitt and Hill Rose performance is great but verdict is still out on the scent.

Sorry for some of the mistakes. I typed it on my phone and don’t seem to have the option to edit anymore.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Great review. Im not attracted to rose but its one category i haven't bought yet. I like t&h and am considering the lime aftershave
question what do you mean by dry down on the soap? before or after a rinse off or do you just towel off.

Excellent (and objective) review!! :a14::a14:

The scent may well improve if you leave it to air out for awhile.

Great review. Im not attracted to rose but its one category i haven't bought yet. I like t&h and am considering the lime aftershave
question what do you mean by dry down on the soap? before or after a rinse off or do you just towel off.

I towel dry. I usually use an aftershave, but I skipped that today as I wanted to see how the Rose scent would be post-shave. By drydown I just mean when cream isn’t wet and lathered on the skin. Drydown for a cologne would refer to after the scent has been on the skin for a period of time so the strong initial notes of the scent have faded.

love my T&H rose. even got a bundle of the sample size pouches.

th rose.jpg

Thank you for your review, I am a great fan of T&H but have never tried the rose, I do agree that the performance of all their products are fantastic!

Just to add, I have never found a scent I felt was over the top for me. I pretty much decided to use ultimate comfort in the future followed by another brand of fragrance that I really enjoy.

In general, I tend to get better shaves from soaps than I do creams. However, I do agree with your assessment of T&H. I have only one scent (Trafalgar), but when it is finally empty, I will replace it, with either the same scent or another. I do not plan to do that with TOBS or GFT creams.

I like using Thayer's Rose witch hazel when I use TOBS rose.

I feel the performance of T&H is excellent. My only issue is they use parabens and for whatever reason parabens make me break out. Sad because I loved the 1805!!

Thanks for the review. I have only the West Indian Limes scented cream and it is a nice scent to me and a great performing soap. I just wish the AS wasn't so pricey.

I have only one rose scented soap and that is Le Pere Lucien Rose de Pushkar and that soap smells like sticking your face in a bouquet of roses when lathering. It is such a nicely scented soap I haven't had the urge to try any other soaps in that scent.

Thanks for the review. I very much enjoy rose scents. I like the TOBS, but it sometimes made my skin itch a bit, and performance isn't the best. Currently enjoying the Simpsons Vanilla & Rose cream, which sadly is discontinued.

My next to try for Rose is the Cyril R Salter cream.
I like using Thayer's Rose witch hazel when I use TOBS rose.

Great stuff. I follow up with DR Harris Pink aftershave, it's lovely.

As to T&H and TOBS, I like and use both. I think their performance is pretty much identical.

I'm not a fan of the rose scent in general. It just turns me off. But that's ok, there are plenty of others!

Thanks for the review. I very much enjoy rose scents. I like the TOBS, but it sometimes made my skin itch a bit, and performance isn't the best. Currently enjoying the Simpsons Vanilla & Rose cream, which sadly is discontinued.

My next to try for Rose is the Cyril R Salter cream.

Great stuff. I follow up with DR Harris Pink aftershave, it's lovely.

Based on what you like, I think you'll like the Salter Wild Rose cream. I couldn't find a rose soap to my liking since the days of QED Wild Rose. The Salter gets into that territory, not quite as forward but still present.

The other rose scent I miss is the QED Rose Geranium.

Top Bottom