What's new

Trip Report! Pasteur Pharmacy in NYC

I have to be in NYC for business this week, so came a couple of days early to enjoy a weekend here. Naturally, this included a pilgrimage to Pasteur Pharmacy on 34th street. There were several other shave enthusiasts in the narrow aisle today (any of you?)—I hope they do a brisk business.

I’d never been before. Wow! I was really glad I had read the earlier thread started by @Snurgblat. Otherwise it would have been easy to miss that there is a lot beyond just the first section (which would be a phenomenal selection by itself!), as well as the separate 50% off sale section.

It would certainly be easy to get overwhelmed, but it’s amazing to be able to examine all this stuff in one place. I did not go in seeking anything in particular, but came away with a pretty big haul.

Highly recommended!

I myself was there just a week after you were! First time in Pasteur Pharmacy. I had been to Merz Apothecary in Chicago, so I was somewhat prepped for what it would be like.

Highlights: I went in with a firm budget of $100. I spent $168. I thought that was a fair compromise.

I met a young man named Jarrod (SP?) and Leon, both very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Initially a little "hands off" with the merchandise, they encouraged me to sniff test anything I wanted, and use any tester available. So, I went a little nutz, but they seemed to think it was normal. Jarrod had a lot of "If you liked that, then sniff this!" which I obliged. Leon was very easy to talk to, and we chatted about just about everything.

They have all the things you'd expect (3 T's, Castle Forbes, DR Harris, Proraso, Musgo - all the "Regulars"). What I was surprised by is they have pretty much all the non-regulars, including about 4-5 I had never heard of before. I pretty much mean "all of them". No exaggeration. If it was still being sold, they had it (no Tiki or Stroppe Shoppe.) The only one missing was Grooming Dept., but they had both tried it and were working to get it in store.

A few of the ones I had never heard of before: Wickham Soap Co., Wild West Shaving Co., Oleo Soapworks, Wolfpac, Passionately Natural, K Shave Worx, Henri et Victoria, A&E Soap, and Eufros.

It is definitely worth the trip. Set a budget!

Some of my bad pictures with my old phone.

IMAG0146.jpg

My Haul:
IMAG0162.jpg

Some bad pictures - bad lighting and tight quarters.
IMAG0147.jpg
IMAG0148.jpg
IMAG0149.jpg
IMAG0150.jpg
IMAG0151.jpg
IMAG0160.jpg

I myself was there just a week after you were! First time in Pasteur Pharmacy. I had been to Merz Apothecary in Chicago, so I was somewhat prepped for what it would be like.

Highlights: I went in with a firm budget of $100. I spent $168. I thought that was a fair compromise.

I met a young man named Jarrod (SP?) and Leon, both very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Initially a little "hands off" with the merchandise, they encouraged me to sniff test anything I wanted, and use any tester available. So, I went a little nutz, but they seemed to think it was normal. Jarrod had a lot of "If you liked that, then sniff this!" which I obliged. Leon was very easy to talk to, and we chatted about just about everything.

They have all the things you'd expect (3 T's, Castle Forbes, DR Harris, Proraso, Musgo - all the "Regulars"). What I was surprised by is they have pretty much all the non-regulars, including about 4-5 I had never heard of before. I pretty much mean "all of them". No exaggeration. If it was still being sold, they had it (no Tiki or Stroppe Shoppe.) The only one missing was Grooming Dept., but they had both tried it and were working to get it in store.

A few of the ones I had never heard of before: Wickham Soap Co., Wild West Shaving Co., Oleo Soapworks, Wolfpac, Passionately Natural, K Shave Worx, Henri et Victoria, A&E Soap, and Eufros.

It is definitely worth the trip. Set a budget!

Some of my bad pictures with my old phone.

View attachment 833678

My Haul:
View attachment 833680
Some bad pictures - bad lighting and tight quarters.
View attachment 833682 View attachment 833683 View attachment 833684 View attachment 833685 View attachment 833686 View attachment 833687
They might have some Tiki left in the 50% off area. I got 1920 Barbershop there last month for half price. They did rearrange the store. Carrying even more soaps these days.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

They might have some Tiki left in the 50% off area. I got 1920 Barbershop there last month for half price. They did rearrange the store. Carrying even more soaps these days.

I didn't see the 50% off section, and I thought I covered it all. But easily could have missed it. Possibly they removed it with the changes, or had no 50% stock? I would have liked to check it out and pick up a bargain or two.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I didn't see the 50% off section, and I thought I covered it all. But easily could have missed it. Possibly they removed it with the changes, or had no 50% stock? I would have liked to check it out and pick up a bargain or two.

If you go right of where all the Gillette blades are hanging, there are a few shelves of soaps, aftershave, pre & post shave stuff they've marked down. Things that didn't sell to get rid of.
I live in NYC & there every month or so. Even though it's a small place, easy to miss it because there is shaving stuff everywhere.

Just there on the 23rd. I'm on the 2017 sabbatical, so it was all "look, smell, but no buy". Their display has definitely gotten larger than 2 years ago. I'd guess 16+ linear feet of floor to (almost) ceiling product. I could of easily dropped 2 bills. I think short of real straight razors, they carry darn near everything. Stuff you'd expect and stuff I'd never seen or heard of before.

So close...I had bottles of Floid amber and Royal mandarin in my hands and I was heading to the newly released Proraso products when I came to my senses.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Its hard to find. I literally stumbled into it just as I decided to leave with a full basket.

Great haul. Thx for the for pics.

If you go right of where all the Gillette blades are hanging, there are a few shelves of soaps, aftershave, pre & post shave stuff they've marked down. Things that didn't sell to get rid of.
I live in NYC & there every month or so. Even though it's a small place, easy to miss it because there is shaving stuff everywhere.

I did see that section (I bought a few blades as well), and I missed the fact that is was 50% off! I had already opened like 30 soaps for scent and was chatting with Leon, so I was in a bit of a daze. :).

I have another trip to North Jersey scheduled in December, so I have the marked down section to look forward to!

Top Bottom