What's new

Trip Notes - Sloane Sq and St James, London

I passed through London about a month ago, and had an afternoon to explore St James and Sloane Sq. I'm reasonably familiar with both areas, but this is the first time I've been to either with a shaving eye.

First, Andrews Pharmacy in Sloane Square. I wanted to visit this shop because it sells Simpson branded brushes. Now that Maitlands is no more, is was the only such shop in London that I could find (corrections welcome, of course). They also stock Vulfix brushes, TOBS, Trumpers, and other products. The shop was Dickensianly cramped. Looking over the stock, I saw a Duke 2, a Chubby 2, and my eye was caught by a Wee Scot. Asking to handle one, I talked to the white-haired proprietor about brushes and brush care. He tried his best to talk me out of the Wee Scot as a travel brush, saying that it was mostly used by military gentlemen who wear a partial beard and need very little lather for each shave.

This gentleman had a couple of interesting opinions about brushes. One was that they should never be squeezed or toweled, only shaken out. I mention this only because it seems like every second authority comes down against shaking, or against squeezing. I suspect that either is fine, in moderation.

His other interesting topic of conversation (for us - I doubt he raises it at cocktail parties) was brush cleaning. He didn't advocate anything at all aside from rinsing the brush and letting it dry. I specifically asked about borax soaks, vinegar soaks, shampoo, and conditioner. He allowed that if visible soap scum appeared, one might scrape it off with a fingernail.

After that interesting chat, I strolled over to St James. Since I had walked up through Green Park, I started on Piccadilly to confirm that Maitlands was indeed no more. The premises are now occupied by Santa Maria Novella. It looked like a nice shop, but Taylors was visible through the Arcade and commanded my full attention.

Inside Taylors I browsed a bit, and thought about what I might reasonably buy. Usually I avoid buying souvenirs while travelling, especially anything that would need to be checked. Finally I settled on a bottle of Mr Taylor talc. I have been meaning to try the scent, and liked the tester. £7 was a reasonable outlay, and it turned out to be a hit with my travelling companion, too.

Next I dropped into D.R. Harris and samples their Marlborough scent, but it didn't win me over so I continued to Truefitt & Hill. Halfway along, just in front of the offices of The Economist, a gent stopped me and asked the way to Trumpers. I directed him toward Jermyn St, but in retrospect I should have asked if he wanted the Curzon St branch.

Inside T&H I concentrated on brushes. One of the nagging questions in my mind is whether all Rooney brushes are created equal: is a T&H "Classic Silvertip Badger Small" the same as a 3/1 Silvertip or are there differences? After talking with the staff and handling a Wellington, I came to two conclusions. First, the staff that day didn't know much about their brushes. Second, the knot on the brush I handled was somewhat less dense than my second-hand 3/1 Super from Classic Shaving. But the question still isn't settled in my mind: density might be one difference between the Silvertip and Super.

Next I went back to Jermyn St and found the Czech & Speake shop. The staff seemed a bit put out when I asked about shaving soap. Probably they would have preferred to sell me a new bathroom. But I persisted, and they found a sample of Oxford & Cambridge for my approval. It smelled like nothing more than silly putty: pure tallow with no other scent at all. They couldn't locate a sample of the #88. I left without a purchase: probably the O&C was simply old, but I wasn't happy with the experience.

By then I was running out of time, so I toddled over to Trumpers on Duke of York St. This was interesting solely because I spotted several lamp-blacked Simpson-made brushes in their window. They looked like a Duke 2, a Chubby 2, and either a Colonel or a Polo. I wasn't able to talk my way into buying any of them, but a more silver-tongued member might prevail.

What a neat experience and thanks for letting me do it vicariously. Comparing your experience there to my experience here of walking through the Llyod Center (mall) is like different planets.

-jim

I was wondering about this. We are planning a trip to London in September, and I wanted to pick up a few items just because I am there.

I may want to pick up my first badger brush, and was wondering if the prices from the B&Ms there are OK price wise, or are they marked up for tourists?

Definitely some places to stop by during my visit to London!

About Andrews Pharmacy, they stock several models of Vulfix brushes too or just one?
I went to their site and only saw one model listed there... I suppose that they have more variety in the store, right?

I'll have to look in all of these shops at some point. The only shaving trip I have done so far is taking the Jubilee line to Bond Street Station to look for Kent/MWF soap in John Lewis.

I always shake my brushes dry before gently running my hand across the top of the bristles to flick the remaining water out. If a brush can't tolerate that then it won't tolerate being used every day in any event.

Definitely some places to stop by during my visit to London!

About Andrews Pharmacy, they stock several models of Vulfix brushes too or just one?
I went to their site and only saw one model listed there... I suppose that they have more variety in the store, right?

The web site doesn't show any Vulfix as I write this, so perhaps it only shows current inventory? I have a hazy memory of seeing three or four Vulfix models on the shelf below the Simpson brushes, but I wasn't paying much attention. If Andrews doesn't have what you are looking for, you might find a store-branded brush that you like from TOBS, Trumpers, Harris, or T&H.

Top Bottom