What's new

Tried shaving without pre shave oil today.

I haven't found it to make any difference other than making the sink extra slimy when I come to clean up afterwards.

If anything, I proraso pre-shave cream, but only when I use proraso soap, because it smells nice.

I tried it for a few days but found it made my beard more like stainless steel wire than whiskers. I think it's a YMMV thing; I might give adding a few drops of glycerine to my lather a try though.

When I stated using a DE I picked up some Pacific Shave pre shave oil. It was ok but I really didn't notice a big difference in the quality of my shave when I used it. I usually just apply a hot towel to my face for 30 sec after I get out of the shower. I find that works the best for me, but as always YYMV 8^)

I mixed up my own pre-shave oil with EVOO, Mineral, and Vit-E oil. I notice a difference. It makes for a better, cleaner shave, for me. I typically wet my face, add the oil, wash my hands while it sets in a bit, then lather. It works well, for me. As others has said, YMMV.

I used Proraso Pre-Shave cream forever, but it really didn't seem to make much of a difference. I tried a sample of T & H's pre-shave oil recently and I was about to buy a bottle of it when I read about Myrsol Emulsion, and bought that instead. I have been using the Myrsol for about two weeks as both a pre-shave and a post-shave balm and love it. Phil @Bullgoose calls it a "wonder product" and so far, I agree.

I have never used it and never plan on it. My pre-shave routine involves rubbing tap water on my face. I wont advocate against it as there are guys with super Greek coarse hair, yet sensitive skin. Others just enjoy the extra step of pampering their skin even though they might not need it. The purpose of a good shave soap is to hydrate your whiskers and prep them for amputation. Stirling soap and a few others do the trick for me. And my stance is against doctoring a soap to increase its performace. If the soap is lacking, i wont be using it or repurchasing it. Again, the soaps job is to hydrate the whiskers, skin, and provide glide. With all the fancy pre-oil, pre-cream, glycerine drops, uberlathers and superlathers...how is a guy going to know if a soap is any good or not when combined with and used in conjunction with so many other products. But i realize what a guy does in his bathroom is his business and his mileage may vary from mine.

I am an avid preshave oil user and here are MY five benefits to using them.

- Closer shaves
- No matter the razor, no matter the blade, my shaves take one pass less to complete
- Better post shave face feeling
- A more luxerious shave experience
- Absolutely nick free shaves :thumbup:

I notice a huge difference. I even reapply before each pass. I find that it protects and keeps my skin in great shape. I make my own blend with olive oil, castor oil, some glycerin and some drops of (typically Tea tree and peppermint).

I'm the opposite to the OP.

I DE shaved for 4 years without any pre-shave oil and now I use it daily. I can't believe how much better the shave is, how much more comfortable it is and also, how much better the skin complexion is.

I use 4 drops of pure jojoba oil as my pre-shave. It rocks!!!

I notice a huge difference. I even reapply before each pass. I find that it protects and keeps my skin in great shape. I make my own blend with olive oil, castor oil, some glycerin and some drops of (typically Tea tree and peppermint).

I have used many commercial oils plus various combinations in my own blends. If you haven't tried pure jojoba oil, I would urge you to give it a go. I will never use anything else and at $7/120mL, it's a bargain!

I kind of wonder if the guys who are cutting up their faces when they stop using pre-shave oil have just gotten used to pressing harder with the razor.

Today I tried the experiment today since I've been using pre-shave oil since I started DE shaving. The result: One of the best, most comfortable BBS shaves I've had to date. I'm not sure if it was the awesome lather I made, or if I took more care in shaving, or what it was. All I do know, is that I may dabble with pre-shave oil here and there, but it's definitely not necessary for me all the time. That's why they say YMMV!

I use the proraso preshave white tub on my face and let it sit while I work my brush in the soap. I honestly do t know if it makes a difference, but I simply like how it feels on my face. I suppose I'll have to do a test to determine it's benefit, if any.

I kind of wonder if the guys who are cutting up their faces when they stop using pre-shave oil have just gotten used to pressing harder with the razor.

I don't think this is the case because I went the other way...from not using oil to using it prior to applying the lather.

The end result is what matters to me. The shave is closer and more comfortable and my skin looks great, all thanks to 4 tiny drops of jojoba oil.

I've used Proraso pre/post ever since I learned of preshaves. I only shaved once without it in the past like 3 years and I felt the difference. So for me, it matters. For everyone else YMMV.

I just started using a pre-shave oil. I used a pre-shave cream before. I can tell the difference when I use an aggressive blade or razor, but I think that is from the lack of technique.

I tested every way possible, but the best benefit I get from is adding 3 or 4 drops to my lather. However, if I do get my lather PERFECT then there is absolutely no difference. So the only thing it helps is to reduce the damage chance in case lather is not really as perfect as it should.

Top Bottom