What's new

Trek Tech

Here's your next step:
Fill it in with enamel (opaque or transparent). That would give a smooth surface yet retain the artwork.
Transparent would give more of a jewel-like quality, like cloisonne.
Out of curiosity, what would be the proper way to apply the enamel to get it flush with the rest of the cap? Would I want something like Testors or would clear nail polish be sufficient?

Out of curiosity, what would be the proper way to apply the enamel to get it flush with the rest of the cap? Would I want something like Testors or would clear nail polish be sufficient?
I haven't experimented with filling the etch yet. I would fill using nail polish by adding layers. At each layer wet a stiff piece of cardboard with remover and swipe along the surface of the cap to remove excess. The idea is to wipe the surface with enough pressure to take off the enamel but not dig into the coated etch. It may take a little experimentation but it comes off easily if it doesn't work out the first time. Resin may also be an option.

I have successfully used heavy paper flat on the surface on other projects.

Post your results if you try it.

I haven't experimented with filling the etch yet. I would fill using nail polish by adding layers. At each layer wet a stiff piece of cardboard with remover and swipe along the surface of the cap to remove excess. The idea is to wipe the surface with enough pressure to take off the enamel but not dig into the coated etch. It may take a little experimentation but it comes off easily if it doesn't work out the first time. Resin may also be an option.

I have successfully used heavy paper flat on the surface on other projects.

Post your results if you try it.

Protectaclear might be a great option for you as it is self leveling. Most people put on 3 coats. I intend on using it with a brass only project with an Old Type on the way.

This is awesome! I can see it now, 50 years from now, collectors will be going crazy trying to date a Star Trek razor! Lol

How are these done? It looks too deep for a chemical etch, too precise for hand engraving, unless you are very good.
I use a non toxic (mostly) electro-etch process. I spend most of my time preparing the subject (hours). Then I hover over it with a strong magnifier during the entire etch process (~half hour) to gently swipe out residue from the image with a soft makeup brush.

I watch carefully for damage to the resist and stop etching when I notice signs that the resist is becoming undermined which can start suddenly/without warning on tiny details.

The Trek Tech has the smallest details I can preserve so far, around .2 mm.

That is some great craftsmanship. I`m not sure that I would be able to draw it, yet not to make it on a hard surface...
As I already wrote before, I`m really amazed by what people can do and how creative they are.

I use a non toxic (mostly) electro-etch process. I spend most of my time preparing the subject (hours). Then I hover over it with a strong magnifier during the entire etch process (~half hour) to gently swipe out residue from the image with a soft makeup brush.

I watch carefully for damage to the resist and stop etching when I notice signs that the resist is becoming undermined which can start suddenly/without warning on tiny details.

The Trek Tech has the smallest details I can preserve so far, around .2 mm.
Thank you for the explanation! It's really nice work, a lot more involved than I would have guessed.

Thank you for the explanation! It's really nice work, a lot more involved than I would have guessed.
It is a simple process and fun. Larger etches are easier. The tiny ones can be tricky. Mine probably take much longer start to finish than someone more experienced.

I received the Trek Tech cap back from @HDSledge on Friday and it is even nicer than it looks in the pictures. Probably the hardest part in all this was trying to decide on what razor to use it with. Tech caps are pretty universal and will fit most head from the New LC through to the last of the post-War Techs. For a while, I've been playing with a set of extra baseplates and put together a kit which was inspired by those fancy, modern razors that have a single handle and cap with a bunch of different baseplates. The Trek Tech cap and some other recent acquisitions inspired me to revisit that kit and this is the result:
IMG_0406.jpg

The most obvious feature is the etched cap. The current set of baseplates are:
  • Pre-War US Gold
  • Post-War US Gold
  • English Nickel Flat Bottom
  • US New SC (bare Brass)
  • US Bakelite
The two-tone handle is a bit odd in that the Nickel plating is actually in great shape. I'm not sure what happened to the plating on the flute or if this is what you get when you remove the ebony from an "ebonized" handle.

Today's shave used the post-war baseplate.
IMG_0408.jpg
IMG_0407.jpg

Thank you again, Rick, for being so generous and making this special razor.

I received the Trek Tech cap back from @HDSledge on Friday and it is even nicer than it looks in the pictures. Probably the hardest part in all this was trying to decide on what razor to use it with. Tech caps are pretty universal and will fit most head from the New LC through to the last of the post-War Techs. For a while, I've been playing with a set of extra baseplates and put together a kit which was inspired by those fancy, modern razors that have a single handle and cap with a bunch of different baseplates. The Trek Tech cap and some other recent acquisitions inspired me to revisit that kit and this is the result:
View attachment 956138
The most obvious feature is the etched cap. The current set of baseplates are:
  • Pre-War US Gold
  • Post-War US Gold
  • English Nickel Flat Bottom
  • US New SC (bare Brass)
  • US Bakelite
The two-tone handle is a bit odd in that the Nickel plating is actually in great shape. I'm not sure what happened to the plating on the flute or if this is what you get when you remove the ebony from an "ebonized" handle.

Today's shave used the post-war baseplate.
View attachment 956139 View attachment 956140
Thank you again, Rick, for being so generous and making this special razor.
You are welcome. I'm glad it turned out ok. I wasn't sure I could preserve the detail. Nice pics!

Top Bottom