What's new

Traveling With A DE

Thanks all. Long and short of it...I guess I'll hope for a Wally world or something of that ilk when I am traveling out of state. Sorry for the duplicate post.

Don't forget that razor blades were the weapon of choice on 9/11.

I beg to differ. The United States was attacked on September 11, 2001, not with box cutters, but with the knowledge that airline crews had been trained for years to comply with hijackers' requests in hopes of getting the airliner on the ground and resolving the situation peacefully.

That will never work again. It quit working that day. The only hijacking that was not successful on September 11, 2001, was that of the airliner whose passengers knew what was going on and fought back.

To line airline passengers up and confiscate bottled water and pointy things is asinine to an absurd degree. If the government was really interested in protecting us, every airline passenger would be issued his choice of a revolver, a can of mace, or a big knife. We'd have the safest air transportation system in the world.

To line airline passengers up and confiscate bottled water and pointy things is asinine to an absurd degree.

Couldn't agree more!

If the government was really interested in protecting us, every airline passenger would be issued his choice of a revolver, a can of mace, or a big knife. We'd have the safest air transportation system in the world.

That pilot accidentally discharging his gun on a plane last week speaks otherwise!! The long and the short of it is a determined terrorist can certainly kill a few passengers on a plane, and will always be able to do so. They could also kill a few folks in a mall or ballpark, or walking down the street. The idea is keeping them from killing everyone on a plane, or killing hundreds or thousands at once using the plane as a weapon.

That pilot accidentally discharging his gun on a plane last week speaks otherwise!! The long and the short of it is a determined terrorist can certainly kill a few passengers on a plane, and will always be able to do so. They could also kill a few folks in a mall or ballpark, or walking down the street. The idea is keeping them from killing everyone on a plane, or killing hundreds or thousands at once using the plane as a weapon.

I quite agree with this statement. The psychology that goes into both the attack itself and the reactions afterward are impressive. The fact that fear and anger cause us to behave irrationally is the biggest advantage from a terrorist point of view. A good book on the subject that is easily approachable is Beyond Fear by Bruce Schneier. In fact point one on the back cover is "Does arming the pilots make flying safer?"

That pilot accidentally discharging his gun on a plane last week speaks otherwise!!

I don't recall anyone being injured in the March 22 incident. 44 were killed on UAL93.

The idea is keeping them from killing everyone on a plane, or killing hundreds or thousands at once using the plane as a weapon.

If that's the goal there is absolutely no question that arming flight crew members (and passengers) would do far more toward preventing September 11-style attacks than confiscating double-edge razor blades and hair gel.

If that's the goal there is absolutely no question that arming flight crew members (and passengers) would do far more toward preventing September 11-style attacks than confiscating double-edge razor blades and hair gel.

So would locking a reinforced cockpit door and not answering should a terrorist knock, and that's already been handled.

I wouldn't feel very safe if every idiot on a plane had a gun. I think my chances of injury or death would actually increase.

I think the liquids thing is really the government's saying "See? We're still fighting our war on an emotion!" Of course, I can't help but remember a comic where the government was using the walls of a guy's house to build a fence. He was sitting there in plain view within the fence saying "Now I feel secure."

Anyway, just the fact that those attacks happened once will go a long way towards preventing them. People thought they would live if they complied, now the whole world knows different. If someone on a plane pulls a gun again people won't just sit there hoping for the best, at least a few of them will realize that complacency will kill them and jump the bastard instead.

I travel quite a bit for work.

I used to be a dedicated carry-on only flyer. I was an expert in the art of packing small and using the wheeled carry-on suitcase.

Betwen the security hassles and widepsread use of small regional jets, it is jut too much trouble to go carry-on only now. I check my bag and don't compromise on what I bring. I can put anything I want for shaving stuff. Plus, I can also bring my workout clothes.

I still sometimes carry on a tiny "essentials" bag that only contains what I'd need for an overnight without my luggage (toothbrush, undergarments, essential personal items).

I have more comfortable trips this way and very rarely have luggage problems.

God save us from Americans more frightened of "us" than of "them."

The odds say quite clearly and convincingly that if I'm murdered intentionally or killed accidentally, it will be "us" thats involved, and not them.

By the way, who is "them"?

Top Bottom