What's new

Traveling With A DE

I do some traveling for work. Given my packing expertise, I never check luggage. One wheelie bag works for me. I've checked the TSA website and it looks like I can have a DE in my carry on. Did I misread this in my zeal or am I destined to get hassled by TSAers the next time I am at the airport forcing me to either check my bag or ditch the blade. Look forward to the insight.

you can have the razor, you just cant have the blades,
the blades have to go in the suitecase,

now, just incase all security personnal arent as understanding as we hope, i would recommend that you travel with something easly replaceable, a feather popular or a wilkinson sword classic DE, something that wont make you cry if taken by a airport security guard or lost in a hotel room,

DE razors are OK. DE blades are not. They allow cartridge blades, but not the DE. Having said that, some guys do carry DE blades and get by with it.

DE razors are OK. DE blades are not. They allow cartridge blades, but not the DE. Having said that, some guys do carry DE blades and get by with it.

TSA personnel have taken away my nail clippers. I can't imagine they'd let a razor blade go by if they caught it.

- Richard

A couple of years ago I phoned the TSA and spoke to somebody directly about this issue because the wording in the restrictions for luggage is a little confusing.

For carry on luggage DE or Injector type blades are not allowed, they can only go on the airplane in checked luggage. Cartridge type blades are allowed in carry on luggage.

usualy becuase taking apart a mach3 head isnt exactly easy to do and its gonna take a while to cut someone up with a blade removed from a mach 3,

but like george carlin said, "i could probobly kill someone with the sunday edition of the new york times if i put an effort in to it"

Idk mate, but I do know they usually give you the option to ship anything they confiscate back home at your expense, so at least you have that as a last resort type of option. I personally take no risks - one time I had recently been out mountainbiking and the TSA peeps took my allen wrench that I had forgotten was in my pack. I guess they thought I could unscrew the plane mid-flight.

Ive never had a problem with a DE razor in my carryon, as long as the blades weren't there too. But you can never be to sure about the TSA:

Link

Did I misread this in my zeal.

It really doesn't matter because most TSA agents and other actors in security theater make it up as they go along. Very few of them have actually read the rules. Enforcement of any given one is abitrary.

I second the notion that you ought to take a razor you wouldn't mind having confiscated (read stolen). I'd probably try to smuggle a blade or two, but resign myself to the possibility of buying a box of Wal-Mart Personnas at my destination.

You could also try mailing a few blades to yourself at the hotel where you'll be staying.

I'd just remove all except 2 blades from a new package of blades. Leave them in the plastic holder, without any used blades in the bottom side.
I'm thinking it goes right thru security.
I have a Weishi that I use as a travel razor, came with the blue case with the mirror in the top and a little brush. There is a rectangular recess molded in the bottom, which will snugly hold some of the blade containers that we favor. (Derbys fit, IIRC) That might help some as well, a compact, tidy set up.

I do some traveling for work. Given my packing expertise, I never check luggage. One wheelie bag works for me. I've checked the TSA website and it looks like I can have a DE in my carry on. Did I misread this in my zeal or am I destined to get hassled by TSAers the next time I am at the airport forcing me to either check my bag or ditch the blade. Look forward to the insight.

Take the razor and send a 5-pack of blades USPS to your hotel a couple days before. No need to check a bag.

Best regards,

Jay

You could also try mailing a few blades to yourself at the hotel where you'll be staying.

Most hotels will honor requests, so maybe try phoning ahead and explaining your predicament, and see if they can get some blades for you. I stayed at a hotel a few years ago, and they gave me a whole shaving setup. It was disposable, but still, they might have a box of blades in the back.

Its a crap shoot - sometimes they don't care, sometimes, they won't allow the blade. I have had several blades removed - it makes the TSA folks very excited - they feel like they've caught the largest terrorist since 9/11 - they put their rubber gloves on, and show it to all the other TSA folks. I don't suggest this when your in a hurry to catch a plane - but if you have time, its worth the folly.

I've started to bring an old injector when I travel - they have never looked twice at these. Not as good as the DE, but it'll work for a couple days when travelling.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Most hotels will honor requests, so maybe try phoning ahead and explaining your predicament, and see if they can get some blades for you. I stayed at a hotel a few years ago, and they gave me a whole shaving setup. It was disposable, but still, they might have a box of blades in the back.

Or you could just mail a pack of blades to the hotel, addressed to yourself with your check in date on the front of the envelope. Call them and ask them to hold the letter for you until you arrive.

I usually check a bag, even though I could get away with just my carry on. I also like carrying a pocket knife, so it must go in the checked bag along with the blades. I keep a BIC disposable or two in my carry on bag.

the problem is where you travel to,
imagen you travel to moscow, and you find the hotel got you a pack of rubies,

im starting to thing that an injector is a perfect travel razor, as most TSA personnal would fail to distinguish it from a normal cartige safety razor, you still have to keep the extra blades in your checked in luggage, but you have a razor thats good for 2-3 shaves before you need to change the blade,

It's a bad idea to try to sneak DE and injector blades through the checkpoints in airports. And it's a bad idea to recommend doing so.

Don't forget that razor blades were the weapon of choice on 9/11.

actually, box cutters were the weapons used on 9/11, as in a blade with a sharp point that can be used for both cutting and stabbing, theres a large differance between a box cutter and a DE blade,

DE blades, no, easy to remove from the razor, can be used as a weapon, i would avoid bringing one on to a plane, always in checked in luggage,

injector blades on the other hand, do check in the the blade loader and the blades themselfs, but one blade in the injector razor itself, depends on the injector model, but most of them, you cant eject the blade without the loader stem, and even if you did remove it, its a blade thats very difficult to use in an offencive manner, cutting someones neck with an injecto blade would require several passes,

as for hun, gillette rubies ? really ?, you can shave with that ?

I just take a couple of disposable Bics and skip the hassle! I dispose of them after the last AM's shave before coming home.

If I'm traveling by car, I'll take everything but the bathroom sink. OH wait, I did take that once too....:biggrin:

Top Bottom