What's new

Travel tea set

So was shopping the bay and I found a travel clay tea set for 16.00.I’ll give it a try and see if I like it..

So what’s you're on the go tea set.Mine is a mug pint jar with tea bags and mini moos creamer .I may make keep using, fill your own tea bags and a pint jar to keep them in..

I have a stainless lined bamboo thermos style container with a mesh steeping basket. There's a little container in the bottom that holds tea. Perfect for travel :)

I have a stainless lined bamboo thermos style container with a mesh steeping basket. There's a little container in the bottom that holds tea. Perfect for travel :)
Have you found that the tea gets too strong or bitter? I've always brewed tea ahead and put in a travel stainless Stanley or an actual vacuum thermos (depending on the volume needed...). I've always thought that the basket-styles can't stop the steeping. But maybe I'm missing something?

Have you found that the tea gets too strong or bitter? I've always brewed tea ahead and put in a travel stainless Stanley or an actual vacuum thermos (depending on the volume needed...). I've always thought that the basket-styles can't stop the steeping. But maybe I'm missing something?

I use it not really as a travel thermos, but more of an I'm going on a trip and the hotel doesn't have a teapot kind of thing. I just fill with hot water at the coffee thing in the morning and steep for a few minutes then dump the leaves before I go. I find if I steep more than about 5 minutes it's far too bitter, so it's easy for me to just wait lol.

You could probably also press the leaves in the basket while pulling and put it on a napkin or something if you have a kettle in the car.

Camping, same thing, steep then dump. The basket has a lifter loop that's easy to grab out, so it's no problem even with hot water, and it's not a permanent on the lid kind of basket.

I can't find the exact one, but this is pretty close. I don't know if it actually keeps it hot for 12 hours, since I'll go through that much tea in about 30 minutes max.

I use it not really as a travel thermos, but more of an I'm going on a trip and the hotel doesn't have a teapot kind of thing. I just fill with hot water at the coffee thing in the morning and steep for a few minutes then dump the leaves before I go. I find if I steep more than about 5 minutes it's far too bitter, so it's easy for me to just wait lol.

You could probably also press the leaves in the basket while pulling and put it on a napkin or something if you have a kettle in the car.

Camping, same thing, steep then dump. The basket has a lifter loop that's easy to grab out, so it's no problem even with hot water, and it's not a permanent on the lid kind of basket.

I can't find the exact one, but this is pretty close. I don't know if it actually keeps it hot for 12 hours, since I'll go through that much tea in about 30 minutes max.
Many thanks! Sounds like you do as I do (and would).

And I hear you on the drink time--after reading that the incredibly animated British MP Tony Benn once calculated he drank enough tea to float the QE2, I thought to myself, challenge accepted! I have never looked back.

Well... I am resurrecting this thread since I need to put together a travel kit. A tea travel kit for my driving trips.
First conundrum, single burner hotplate vs electric kettle. Size matters, as always.
I cannot decide on a kettle yet and I hope that someone here can recommend a good one.
Just purchased a single burner hotplate to give it a try, but now I need a pot of sorts.

Help. Please help.:laugh:

Something slapped together for this road trip

IMG_0531.JPG

Enjoying Earl Grey during this short trip

IMG_0533.JPG

I cannot remember where I got this Turkish coffee pot from. Many moons ago for sure.
The mini hotplate is a recent purchase and it seems the market is flooded with them. Cheap and made mostly of metal. It seems to be the perfect size for a travel kit, with the burner of 4" in diameter. It boils 500ml of tap water in about 9min. Cooling off time is about 30min, with a bit of help. If one has to pack in a rush after boiling water, that cooling period might be a detractor.
I am still considering an electric kettle.

Top Bottom