What's new

Toscano Cigars

I was just smoking half of Antico the other day and was just wondering if there are fellow members who share the passion for these Italian cigars.

Toscanos are basicly pretty strong, machinemade cigars. There are numerous of different styles of Toscanos but I belive the most common ones are: Extra Vecchios, Anticos, Garibaldis, Classicos and Toscanellos.

Black pepper, leather and sweet coffee are the flavors that can usually be found in Toscanos. Extra Vecchio and a nice shot of ristretto is one rich tasting experience :w00t:

These cigars are quite cheap here in Europe. Pack of 5 uncutted cigars costs like 5-13 euros. Of course there are more expensive ones for example the huge Il Moro costing about 30-35€ per cigar.

Toscanos can be stored outside of humidor but I keep them normally in because of the very dry winters of Finland.

proxy.php

+1 - excellent smokes.

How do these Toscani compare to Petri brand?

CAO Italia is great line no doubt. I´m also a big fan of good handmade cigars like Padrons, Olivas, Cuban Punch and Bolivar, Fuente Fuente etc.

Toscanos are cigars I like to smoke in lesser occasions like when I´m taking a walk or fishing. Eventhough these are pretty cheap cigars Toscanos don´t IMO have that bitter taste that most of the "dry cigars" seems to have. Burn time is also suprisingly long. I can smoke a half of Toscano 25-30 minutes :tongue_sm YMMV.

PS. Unfortunately I´m not familiar with the Petri brand. And thanks 6thRound :001_smile

Couple pics more...

proxy.php

As you can see the cigars are pretty damn ugly :w00t: ..but so tasty

proxy.php

Smoking in Tallinn

proxy.php

Stash

Cellphone camera pic quality :redface:

+1 - excellent smokes.

How do these Toscani compare to Petri brand?

I don't think Toscano compares with Petri. Toscano cigars are 9/10, Petri is about a 3/10. After all, Toscano is the ORIGINAL manufacturer, Petri is an imitator. There's a reason why Clint Eastwood smoked and still smokes the Toscano brand. And Toscano cigars are made by hand not machine.

My first exposure to cigars was the DiNobili which I loved until I started traveling to Europe and found my true cigar calling. DiNobilis were great.

I don't think Toscano compares with Petri. Toscano cigars are 9/10, Petri is about a 3/10. After all, Toscano is the ORIGINAL manufacturer, Petri is an imitator. There's a reason why Clint Eastwood smoked and still smokes the Toscano brand. And Toscano cigars are made by hand not machine.

Hi cigar lover, I'm an Italian guy and also a big fan of Toscano(eheh my last name is real and it's just a coincidence), i especially love Toscano Antica Riserva(try them if you have the chance), Antico Toscano, Toscano Extravecchio(cheap & good) and then the handmade ones(orginale millennium, Il Moro, originale, del presidente & selected). I have to tell you that most of Toscano cigars are machine made(even antica riserva) but they are so good anyway. the only handmade ones are:
originale
Millennium
Selected
del presidente
Il Moro (single big cigar box, comes with cutter and special box, a rarity, considered the best toscano cigar. i smoked it it's very good . it's the only one of a different size, it's big)
The only toscano cigars which i'm not a fan of are "Toscano classico"(they don't pull well) and Toscano garibaldi ( a hit & miss). I'm also not a fan of the aromatic ones(created to attract a larger clientele)
the rest of Toscano cigars are fabulous and for every taste
Also more than 90% of the people who smke toscano in Italy will cut in two (ammezzato). I think toscano cigar is better if cut in half but it's a matter of habit and of taste
Ciao e viva il sigaro Toscano!
Luca Toscani

I also cut my toscanos in half before smoking, too. Toscanos are a little hard on the draw, so by cutting it in the middle makes it a little easier to smoke. Especially since the ends are tapered.

I smoked a 5 year aged toscano where the cello had turned dark orange. It had a lot of the licorice and earthy flavors. Man, makes me want to smoke another one =P

I also cut my toscanos in half before smoking, too. Toscanos are a little hard on the draw, so by cutting it in the middle makes it a little easier to smoke. Especially since the ends are tapered.

I smoked a 5 year aged toscano where the cello had turned dark orange. It had a lot of the licorice and earthy flavors. Man, makes me want to smoke another one =P

I've also aged some Anticos and EV. Oldest one I've smoked had been in my humidor for 4 years and I think there's some differencies between a "fresh" toscano and an old one. Old ones seem to be more complex and smoother. I still have few boxes of EVs from 2006-2007. :001_cool:

BTW. I just finished a whole, year old EV while reading a book. Pretty awesome ...again! :thumbup:

a bit of news and prices about toscano cigars(prices apply in italian tobacco shops)

As i said try T.A.R(toscano antica riserva). they come in a box of two,(there are boxes of 10 packets of two too). each pack of 2 in italy ,i think they cost 4 euro 50 cent for a box of 2

antico toscano very popular in italy is 8 euro 20 cent per box of 5

extravecchio are cheaper(and i like them). i think 5 euro 80 cent per box of 5

toscano classico i dont recoomend them because they dont pull well. anyway they are 5.30 euros

Garibaldi are lighter and good for starters(i used to smoke them at the start and i loved them). i think these are the cheapest or similar in price to toscano classico

Originale are handmade and are 5 euro 50 cent per box of two. Originale can be very good but sometimes people find that they are not the best rolled(it depends really on the woman that makes it at the moment). but when you find a good originale it's a very rewarding smoke

selected are the upper scale of originale

Millennium are the best scale of originale , all handmade

Il Moro as i said is worth a definitive try, but expensive(a single big cigar cost around 40 euros) it comes in a fancy box and in the box you will find a toscano cutter as a gift and a reminder of how they are made

In the presidente one(very good too) you will even find the signature of the person who made them but as i said they are already cut in halves and they charge a lot of money for them. I dont find them more tasty than selected or originale, but it woul be worth check them out if you are curious

i dont like the aromatic ones, they tire you after a bit
(grappa, anis, caffe etc) they have been created recently to attract a larger clientele

I have no idea how modigliani, soldati and 1492 taste like becaiuse i left my country before they were put into the market. when i came to visit italy for a while during these years i think i tried the soldati but i wasnt impressed

the toscano that everybody smokes every day(the most popular ones) are

Antico Toscano
Extravecchio
Toscano classico
Garibaldi
Ammezzato garibaldi
Toscanello

Toscano Antica Riserva is also becoming very popular(with reason)

Ciao!!!

Luca

well toscano cigars are not unfortunately as famous as other cigars but they have a unique taste and there's a reason

if you put the word sigaro toscano on you tube many results are going to appear of how the handmade ones are made by the sigaraie(the women that do it). it's a very good cigar , has a lot of history and like Coca Cola has been invented as a result of a mistake. in 1815 a big load of tobacco ws left by mistake outside in the rain for hours. the people owning the load decided to sell the load for cheaper anyway and people decided to make cheap cigars using this "fermented tobacco"......and everybody loved the taste. that 's a short story of how the toscano cigar was born, thats why it has such a distinctive taste, the tobacco at a certain point is showered with water and let fermented.
the toscano cigar is unique!!

Luca Toscani

Luca

Last edited:
Wow! Tobacco that is showered... interesting. I'm sure the people who left the bales in the rain felt sick. That's a whole lot of tobacco!

I know they normally mist the tobacco and air dry by flapping the tobacco like wings.

Top Bottom