What's new

Top 5

This is the sort of list that will change after I have finished eating my breakfast (or had the opportunity to try some more fragrances)

- Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet
- C&S 88
- Hermes Concentre d'Orange Vert
- Knize Ten
- D.R. Harris Arlington

Right now

Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier

What is this?? I have Habit Rouge edt and I really like it. I did a cursory glance over at basenotes to see and the discussions indicated that it is a limited release. Is that so? Do you know any retailers that are/were carrying it?

This list constantly changes...

much like favorite movie, song, etc.

Hermes - Bel Ami
Serge Lutens - Gris Clair
Aramis - Havana
Chanel - Antaeus
Givenchy - Gentleman

So many on everyone's list I want to try.

I cannot believe I forgot and left C&S No. 88 off my list. It's definetely on my list.

What is this?? I have Habit Rouge edt and I really like it. I did a cursory glance over at basenotes to see and the discussions indicated that it is a limited release. Is that so? Do you know any retailers that are/were carrying it?

If you like the EdT, you'll probably love this. "Beau Cavalier" is a limited edition of Habit Rouge in Eau de Parfum strength. I gather HR has been available off and on in Europe as an EdP, but this is a version now available in US.

It is of course very similar to HR EdT. But imo it is much smoother from start to finish. It also has a bit of agarwood in the basenotes that give it a bit of a different personality and drydown. It also lasts longer and may project a bit more.

I was lukewarm on HR EdT, but this one is killer. Guerlain has an odd distribution network. I got it at Saks (and love it so much I went back bought a backup bottle due to the "limited edition" nature of this one). I see you're in Dallas, so it's likely at Nieman or Saks- and probably in the substantial Guerlain section. As you may know, they make a ton of women's cosmetic products in addition to scents. Their woman's range is much, much larger than the mens.

You may have to dig for it. In my Saks, they don't keep it with the men's cologne counter- it's at the Guerlain counter in the women's section.
It comes in a box and metal colored bottle clearly marked "Beau Cavalier." The Guerlain website doesn't show it and their retail store locater may send you to Sephora and as near as I can tell, they don't carry it.

Doing a quick online search shows indeed it doesn't pop up readily. Best bet may be to call your Saks or Nieman and see. It's like $110.

I stumbled onto it while out with a Basenotes woman during a sampling run through the heart of the Beverly Hills shopping district. I have a lot of frags, and this is probably my favorite right now. I was very surprised by how much I've come to like it.

Last edited:
Tough call...currently:

Brooks Brothers 1818
PdN New York
Dunhill For Men (1934)
Guerlain Derby
Caron 3rd Man

Bonus: Yatagan

Truly impressive lists! I have long-time favorites that I would usually list and I probably really do change my mind frequently, so instead of trying to think about it and really decide what are my favorites, I am going to list what immediately comes to mind that I have been introduced to and/or wearing lately that I really like, in no particular order:

Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur

Serge Lutens--tough to pick which one but I am going to say Santal de Mysore

Montale Oud Cuir d'Arabie

Knize Sec

Dunhill (1934)

You may have to dig for it. In my Saks, they don't keep it with the men's cologne counter- it's at the Guerlain counter in the women's section.
It comes in a box and metal colored bottle clearly marked "Beau Cavalier." The Guerlain website doesn't show it and their retail store locater may send you to Sephora and as near as I can tell, they don't carry it.

Doing a quick online search shows indeed it doesn't pop up readily. Best bet may be to call your Saks or Nieman and see. It's like $110.

Thanks very much for the info. I may just drop in Northpark and visit both stores to see what they have.

Truly impressive lists! I have long-time favorites that I would usually list and I probably really do change my mind frequently, so instead of trying to think about it and really decide what are my favorites, I am going to list what immediately comes to mind that I have been introduced to and/or wearing lately that I really like, in no particular order:

Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur

Serge Lutens--tough to pick which one but I am going to say Santal de Mysore

Montale Oud Cuir d'Arabie

Knize Sec

Dunhill (1934)

I've tried 4 and 5. I'm interested in this SL, gosh with all the others performing as they do.

Dunhill 1934 is a winner fo shizzle.

I have got to try this stuff. I see it on sale all the time. I want to try the M7 and Give Rauche too.

Kouros is great. Yes, you will want to sample it first. But be patient for the first 30 minutes or so after you put it on. It is a wild opening. The drydown is awesome. It is not for everyone, though; in fact, there are a bunch of people who can't stand it.

Kouros is great. Yes, you will want to sample it first. But be patient for the first 30 minutes or so after you put it on. It is a wild opening. The drydown is awesome. It is not for everyone, though; in fact, there are a bunch of people who can't stand it.

This is the plan. TPC is a bit costly, I'll have to remember to try it next time I'm at the store.

This list constantly changes...

much like favorite movie, song, etc.

Hermes - Bel Ami
Serge Lutens - Gris Clair
Aramis - Havana
Chanel - Antaeus
Givenchy - Gentleman

Have you tried other SL's?

This is the plan. TPC is a bit costly, I'll have to remember to try it next time I'm at the store.

I recall Ulta having an open bottle on display. I'm not sure if they have those where you are. You could stop in one and spray yourself a couple of times.

Have you tried other SL's?

Yeah, I've tried a number of them. I just can't recall the names - they aren't really easy names to remember. The bottles are kind of pricey - but the fragrances are extremely well crafted. Some decants would be the way to go, if you really want to explore them.

There is a Barneys near where I work and they carry quite a few. I was there recently on a slow weekday afternoon, and I sampled a bunch of the fragrances. After browsing for about 30 minutes, the woman I was speaking with gave me a large sample of the Gris Clair and Le Labo Rose. I have worn the Gris Clair a number of times since and I think it's great. There are just a couple of minutes where it almost too sweet (cloying?) but that is very brief. I don't own a bottle - I'm not sure if I will buy one - but it is definitely a favorite right now.

Last edited:
I recall Ulta having an open bottle on display. I'm not sure if they have those where you are. You could stop in one and spray yourself a couple of times.

Yeah, I've tried a number of them. I just can't recall the names - they aren't really easy names to remember. The bottles are kind of pricey - but the fragrances are extremely well crafted. Some decants would be the way to go, if you really want to explore them.

There is a Barneys near where I work and they carry quite a few. I was there recently on a slow weekday afternoon, and I sampled a bunch of the fragrances. After browsing for about 30 minutes, the woman I was speaking with gave me a large sample of the Gris Clair and Le Labo Rose. I have worn the Gris Clair a number of times since and I think it's great. There are just a couple of minutes where it almost too sweet (cloying?) but that is very brief. I don't own a bottle - I'm not sure if I will buy one - but it is definitely a favorite right now.

No Ultas here. But, I do have a Perfumania abotu 40 minutes or so from me. I dont' get there often, but next time I do I will definately spray and see how it goes. I've heard that about waiting a while, etc.

I like intense stuff though, so I'm pretty confident I'll like Kourous.

I have 2 bottles of SL that I got in trades. As good as it is, I'm sure I'd buy it again. But, if you can get samples of it, that's even better. They are very well crafted frags. I'll agree all the way on that. I've sniffed two. I like both very well. I have Serge Noire and Fumerie Turque. The FT is very long lasting and intense. Choclatey....tobacco....smella likea man.

The SN is gosh...not citrus....lighter but very long lasting and surely not light.....i am not sure how to explain its scent.

1)Kenneth Cole Reaction
2)Armani Code (dunno if they still make it, but all I've seen lately is 'black code' and I don't like that nearly as much)
3)Helmut Lang
4)Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme
5)4711

You've been around the block a few times rick, but let me say this about Kouros. IMO, the in store test is what runs most people away and causes much of the Kouros hatred. It's opening is very severe and in the context of standing in a store, it can smell like all the dreadful things people have said about it. It ran me out in horror at first. Try it on skin and walk around awhile.

I got a small sample during a swap and wore it. That's what made me a fan.
(But I wear it pretty selectively). It takes around a half hour to calm down and turn into the sort of honeyed drydown.

All that being said, you may not like it. But it is a unique, classic, hall of fame worthy frag for sure.

You've been around the block a few times rick, but let me say this about Kouros. IMO, the in store test is what runs most people away and causes much of the Kouros hatred. It's opening is very severe and in the context of standing in a store, it can smell like all the dreadful things people have said about it. It ran me out in horror at first. Try it on skin and walk around awhile.

Quite right! The same thing happened to me and it wasn't until I was a little way down the road that I noticed how great Kouros is. A breeze had blown through my open car windows and I was sure that I was smelling something in the air - it couldn't have been what I sprayed on myself in the store. But it was!! However, when I pulled my wrist up to get a closer smell, I again noticed the strong notes from the opening.

I, too, wear it very selectively - rarely, in fact - a) because it has a little more sillage than I typically like and b) I think it is a little too heavy for the heat here in Texas. I think it really works best for me in spring and early fall.

Top Bottom