What's new

Toothpick’s Cigar Compendium

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I’ve had bad luck in the past so maybe I’m just extra cautious. Never had this sizable
Of an investment in cigars so really don’t want to screw them up.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I’ve had bad luck in the past so maybe I’m just extra cautious. Never had this sizable
Of an investment in cigars so really don’t want to screw them up.

Super understandable man. Unless you leave one on the dashboard in the summer time they are pretty resilient.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I’ll add that a humidor that’s full or mostly full should hold humidity better than one that’s mostly empty. You may see fluctuation in the humidity until you get it up to capacity, and then I’d expect it to even out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where do you stand on rotating the cigars?

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Where do you stand on rotating the cigars?

I’m not rigorous about it, but I do try to make sure as I smoke down what’s in my humi that I’m not just smoking the fresh sticks I put on top from the coolidors. I will try to grab the bottom sticks every now and then. And maybe once a year, I pull everything out of my desktop humi to see what’s in there and reorganize it. I’ll generally pick out a few things at that time that are my “smoke next” pile and I’ll toss them in a herfador w a Boveda.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
good question. Curious myself.

Also, what butane do y’all use? I have the XIKAR arriving tomorrow.I read it was about the best.

I’m still working through a box of the older Vector formula. Never a problem in my various lighters. Colibri Premium also has a longstanding good rep., provided you don’t mind the tiny cans.

As long as it’s filtered 4x or more, most brands should be fine in all the newer lamps, quality of the lighter notwithstanding.

FWIW, I am aware of one smoker friend whose Xikar cigar torch died on Xikar fuel. But it was not a particularly expensive model, and was probably a one off. Could have been the lighter. I use an older Xikar outdoors, and have never had a problem with it, other than needing the occasional double-strike.

I’m still working through a box of the older Vector formula. Never a problem in my various lighters. Colibri Premium also has a longstanding good rep., provided you don’t mind the tiny cans.

As long as it’s filtered 4x or more, most brands should be fine in all the newer lamps, quality of the lighter notwithstanding.

FWIW, I am aware of one smoker friend whose Xikar cigar torch died on Xikar fuel. But it was not a particularly expensive model, and was probably a one off. Could have been the lighter. I use an older Xikar outdoors, and have never had a problem with it, other than needing the occasional double-strike.
One gentleman I smoke a lot of cigars with has had to have his dual jet xicar replaced a few times while others with the same model have never had an issue. While others who smoke just as much and use the same fuel have never had an issue.

Xicar warranty is top notch. Not that one should need it...

I’m not rigorous about it, but I do try to make sure as I smoke down what’s in my humi that I’m not just smoking the fresh sticks I put on top from the coolidors. I will try to grab the bottom sticks every now and then. And maybe once a year, I pull everything out of my desktop humi to see what’s in there and reorganize it. I’ll generally pick out a few things at that time that are my “smoke next” pile and I’ll toss them in a herfador w a Boveda.

I put the new sticks under the old sticks.

The right side of the humidor has Smokin Joes Honduran coronas.
The bottom layer has five extra long ones of those;
I leave those there and put the new coronas on top of those.

The left side has Punch Punch. Those are coronas gordas.
I don't buy them any more.
As they depart, the right side of the box gets bigger.

Last edited:
Top Bottom