What's new

too much draw

So one of my strops has a little too much draw. I don't like it. It's just a red Latigo from premier strops. I read using caranuba wax will take it down a little. I have a bottle of liquid caranuba wax for my car. Would that be ok? Is there a better way. This isn't my only strop. I usually use a different one. But I wanted to get it a little faster. It's like rubber right now.

Before I put anything on it I would glass bottle the fire out of it! Latigo is a pretty oily waxy tanning so my first step would be dry lint free cloth and a good high pressure rubdown followed by a glass bottle. Be vigorous with the bottle! Strop it like you stole it! Then after the glass bottle check it to see if that got the job done.

I've used pure carnauba wax successfully on the FLESH SIDE of strops to increase the density of the grain and smooth the surface. I don't like it too much on the smooth side of leather. I have only tried the hard block available at woodcraft.

It is my experience that it is the waxes and oils that cause a heavy draw, though every strop I have experimented with has acted a bit differently to the same treatments. I have recently had good luck at reducing the draw of a horse hide strop with Kiwi saddle soap. I tried Tabac lather first and would get temporary improvement but after a day or two the heavy draw would return. YMMV

Yeah it was my 1st strop. I sanded the nicks out and a few drops of neatsfoot and not it's crazy draw.

Legion

Staff member
This is not a recommendation, because I have not tried it myself. I am just thinking out loud.

The draw in latigo is because of the oil. Would rubbing in a light dusting of talcum powder help it? I think it might.

This is not a recommendation, because I have not tried it myself. I am just thinking out loud.

The draw in latigo is because of the oil. Would rubbing in a light dusting of talcum powder help it? I think it might.

Yeah it's definitely because of the oil. Its back to normal now.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I'd saddle soap it, let it dry between two flat boards and roll a bottle across it.

I just don't get why people put goop on a perfectly good strop - it isn't an army boot, and doesn't need waterproofing. I think it's in our genes to smear grease on leather. Strops should be clean and dry. If some leather dust shows on the blade, use a TINY amount of strop dressing like the Dovo yellow paste.

Cheers, Steve

I'd saddle soap it, let it dry between two flat boards and roll a bottle across it.

I just don't get why people put goop on a perfectly good strop - it isn't an army boot, and doesn't need waterproofing. I think it's in our genes to smear grease on leather. Strops should be clean and dry. If some leather dust shows on the blade, use a TINY amount of strop dressing like the Dovo yellow paste.

Cheers, Steve

I read somewherewhen I was first into straights to sand and a few drops of neatsfoot. So that's what I did. I cleaned it and ran a bottle across it and it's fine now.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I'm glad it's fine now. I apologize for my post sounding negative or cranky, it wasn't intended that way and I just re-read it.

Cheers, Steve

I only add oil to my strops if they are lacking suppleness or are obviously too dry, and then I add the tiniest amount possible to the back side. It is amazing how well the oil migrates to the strop surface where I'm usually trying to reduce it.

Top Bottom