What's new

Too Many Variables?

Pardon me for venting, I'm frustrated.

Today I had A one pass DFS. Normally It takes 2 to 3 passes.

Of course I want to duplicate this and have every shave be a one pass shave.

The problem with being a newbie is that I'm constantly experimenting and if successful it's hard to figure out what exactly caused it.

Too many variables.?

For example Today:

1. Shaved with the Gillette Fatboy for the first time. Setting 5
2. Showered before shaving which I don't normally do.
3. Used a DIY pre-shave oil for the first time
4. Used a gillette nacet blade
5. Taylor of London shave cream instead of Proraso.

The problem is that I can only shave once a day or once every day and a half, so playing around with all the variables takes forever.

Did you feel my frustration when you began? Any advise about today's shave.

I think what I should do is change just 1 factor a day.
Example tomorrow do everything same way but no shower. Following day don't use preshave oil. Keep changing until it breaks

What a project sigh...

I think what I should do is change just 1 factor a day.
Example tomorrow do everything same way but no shower. Following day don't use preshave oil. Keep changing until it breaks

What a project sigh...

+1! Great advice!

Sure, this sounds slow. However, this is the best way to determine the factors determining your shave quality. In the end, you will likely save time. :thumbup: :thumbup:

It is a real frustration. Any other hobby you can practice, practice, practice for as many hours as there are in a day. With shaving you get one chance a day maximum. Assuming you didn’t totally stuff it up the day before.

What I will tell you straight off is that you were onto something with the shower before the shave. Keep doing that. It is a very good idea and will help you to prep the beard properly. This makes a big difference.

My next bit of advise. Don’t change your set up everyday when starting out. It takes time to get used to a razor, get used to a soap, get used to your face. Don’t make that process harder by using new equipment everyday.

The fact is most good quality soaps and razors are as good as each other once you learn to use them. The differences are slight and you will need experience to even begin to be able to develop a preference. Most of the time it is the user not the equipment that determines the quality of a shave.

Keep going one day at a time. It’s slow but it’s the only way.

...Of course I want to duplicate this and have every shave be a one pass shave.

The problem with being a newbie is that I'm constantly experimenting and if successful it's hard to figure out what exactly caused it.

Too many variables.?...
Yes, it is too many variables. As tempting as it is to keep changing up, most people find they make better progress and improve their skills more by using the same setup for many days in a row.

We have a challenge going on for the month of March called the Fixed Four. Use the same razor, blade, brush and soap for an entire month. You are welcome to join. It is surprising what you can learn by keeping things constant for awhile.

You already got close to what you want. Much of shaving is learned through muscle memory, developed subconsciously with practice. So, try practicing with that setup and, just like in sports, your skills will improve.

Don't underestimate how fast a year passes by. This is approx. 300+ shaves, so there is enough room for experimenting. This foresaid, what you did today is to weaken your stobbles and make it easier for the blade to cut the hair. You showered so your pores were open, you used a shaving oil to lubricate your face. I dont know how much more aggressive the razor blade combination of today was in comparison and I don't know how your lather differed. You can make a very good lather out of Proraso and a very bad lather out of TOBS.

Don’t change ANYTHING for a month.

Keep a journal with notes. Record everything.

And lastly, remember that a superior lather from a $200 brush won’t protect you from crap technique - build that muscle memory!

I would definitely suggest trying to take your time and to limit the variables. I am the kind of shaver who spent years experimenting, making notes and making small advances and improvements. It was frustrating at times but now I have a perfect shave set-up for me and it was worth it!

Yes, it is too many variables. As tempting as it is to keep changing up, most people find they make better progress and improve their skills more by using the same setup for many days in a row.

We have a challenge going on for the month of March called the Fixed Four. Use the same razor, blade, brush and soap for an entire month. You are welcome to join. It is surprising what you can learn by keeping things constant for awhile.

You already got close to what you want. Much of shaving is learned through muscle memory, developed subconsciously with practice. So, try practicing with that setup and, just like in sports, your skills will improve.
I agree. Don't change any variable for at least a month. Stick with the same routine so you can experience your learning proper technique. When you change variables you're possibly masking poor technique. Keeping everything the same removes variables so you can focus on technique. Good technique is most important.

And please enjoy the learning curve!

I agree, a month with no changes will let you learn how to use what you effectively

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Many of us older people here began with one razor. Most likely a Gillette or Shick of one configuration or another, one brand of blade and most likely canned foam. We used the same setup for years with few or no changes as options were few. All of us learned to shave quite well. I never heard anyone complain of having trouble with the proscss, equipment or “technique”. “Technique”‘wasn’t a word used relative to shaving. It was just something most everyone with whiskers did. Very simple and done without thought. My advice is to shove all of your miscellaneous stuff in a drawer, assemble your basic kit and start shaving and you will quickly figure it out. Don’t think about it so much. It’s just shaving. Any razor will do, any blade will do and any soap will do.

I’ve been at this for 5 months now and changed up too much in the beginning, just like you. I’ve been trying to chase that one perfect shave for 3 weeks now and I can’t remember what I did differently (I do remember adding just a little extra water to my Proraso green lather). It was so smooth it’s like the whiskers didn’t exist.

Like these guys said, stick with one set of equipment. I’m finding little tweaks to my angle, pressure, and lathering are making a significant improvement. This first year is more critical to identify what I’m doing wrong rather than what products don’t work as well for me.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Some great advice above. The thing I noticed about your post was this statement:

"Of course I want to duplicate this and have every shave be a one pass shave."

You make it sound like it is a self evident truth that every shaver wants every shave to be a single pass. That can be a goal if you wish but I would guess that it is not a goal of most members here; it is certainly not mine. I could reduce the number of passes and still achieve an excellent shave but have no wish to do so. I suggest you take your time and enjoy the preparation and ritual of shaving. It is not something that has to be endured unless you choose to make it so, it is perfectly possible to make shaving into a real pleasure, and why would you want to rush that?

Well I changed it up today and great success. I've decided that I'm going to Standardize on my Shave Method only Variables will be the Razor and the head.

I'm also going to stick with same razor for a week to give me time to learn the razor. Maybe once I'm less of a newbie it'll standardize for the month suggested.

Example: Tomorrow I'm going to shave exactly same as today except try a Nacet Blade

This is what I used:

Ikon X3 Slant Razor
Astra platinum Blade
Homemade pre shave oil
(30% Jojoba + 30% Grape seed +40% Castor)
Proraso shaving soap in a Bowl
Alum Block

Method.:
1. Put brush in warm water in marble Shaving Bowl
2. Washed face with Nutragena Liquid Glycerin Soap
3. Applied light coat of preshave oil
4.Lathered Brush in bowl
5.Slathered it on
6.shaved top to bottom whole face (In Sections)
7. 2nd Pass shaved side ways

BBS achieved no need for third pass. Actually could have stopped at first pass

Decided no shower because hard to take one before I shave every time. Want to make all variables the same

Didn't include the after shave routine because it doesn't affect quality of shave

Any suggestions on how I should do it differently? Aside from the shower or a hot towel?

I shave eevry 2-3 days. You still think it takes you long to play with variables if you change only 1 variable at the time?

On more serious note I also tinkered all the time when I started out, luckily only with blades and soaps.

But best results for my tehnique was when I fixed my gear. 1 razor, 1 blade, 1 soap/cream 1 brush. I am not best with hand-eye coordination so I stil prefer fixed gear in terms of razor and blade (at least as long as blade life), and as a matter of fact I use 2 brush and 2 soaps xD

And PREP! I can't stress this enough, good prep is half of the shave

Top Bottom