What's new

Tomato Pie-Utica Style

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
There's a legendary place in Brooklyn called Spumoni Gardens that makes a similar pie but with mozzarella under the sauce.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
If that congeals nicely you have hit a real home run.
The filling was quite tasty. I will be eating some tonight, so the flavors ought to marry real nicely. I have been looking for reasons to eat more tomatoes since I found the beefsteaks at the market a few weeks ago, so your post was a timely inspiration.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I realize I committed a B&B sin- an after pic

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 40
I live in Syracuse. My grandma was from Utica and my grandfather was from Rome. Tomato Pie was a family staple growing up. We used to get it from this garage in Utica. It is so hard to find anything close to the real deal anymore. I can't believe I came across this recipe, and on this site of all places!!! Thank you, August West. This is amazing! I will make it as soon as I can (might not be for a few weeks though) and let you know how it turns out.

I live in Syracuse. My grandma was from Utica and my grandfather was from Rome. Tomato Pie was a family staple growing up. We used to get it from this garage in Utica. It is so hard to find anything close to the real deal anymore. I can't believe I came across this recipe, and on this site of all places!!! Thank you, August West. This is amazing! I will make it as soon as I can (might not be for a few weeks though) and let you know how it turns out.

Excellent. Or just hop on the Thruway and get some here: http://napolisitalianbakery.com

Last edited:
I work in Utica (yes believe it or not there are still a few jobs amidst the rust.) I've heard the locals refer to this as "hot pie."

So I have been thinking about this pizza since I read the post. I decided to make some for lunch. My recipe is a little different, but pretty close. The dough is very hydrated so it's chewy like a focaccia. I sprinkle the dough with a little fresh rosemary and salt.

You can see there was a little collateral damage in the second picture, so I had to eat it.

Attachments

• $FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    $FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 22
  • $FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    $FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 23
  • $FullSizeRender.jpg
    $FullSizeRender.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 22

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That looks great, Chris. I am going to go with a thicker crust like you and Tony posted next time.

So I have been thinking about this pizza since I read the post. I decided to make some for lunch. My recipe is a little different, but pretty close. The dough is very hydrated so it's chewy like a focaccia. I sprinkle the dough with a little fresh rosemary and salt.

You can see there was a little collateral damage in the second picture, so I had to eat it.

Looks fantastic!

Top Bottom