What's new

Tomato Pie-Utica Style

$iu-4.jpeg​

-By Jennifer Roberts(from her blog)
Growing up, my dad’s side of the family who hail from New Hartford, NY, near Utica, served this often. Whenever they mentioned pizza, this Tomato Pie recipe was what
they were really referring to.

My Aunt Maria makes this wonderful homemade version, but there are also a number of restaurants in the Utica area that sell this delicious treat.
In other parts of the country, Tomato Pie might be made in a pie dish with a pastry crust. Here in central New York, tomato pie is a close relation to pizza, but with a few key differences.
First, the crust is soft, thick and somewhat spongy in texture (think focaccia bread). Second, the sauce is the star of the show (hence the name). And, finally, it is topped only with a hard cheese like parmesan or pecorino romano, not mozzarella.
Tomato Pie is often served at room temperature, and I think it tastes best that way! This Tomato Pie recipe is inexpensive and easy to make in large quantities, and since it doesn’t need to be kept hot or cold, it’s the perfect food to bring to a picnic or to serve at a party.
The following Tomato Pie recipe has been passed down through my family, but it wasn’t until recently that I was brave enough to attempt it myself — yeast doughs and I don’t always get along. I was delighted that it turned out wonderfully! If I can make it, you probably can, too.

Utica Tomato Pie Recipe

Makes two pies, each approximately 16 x 12 inches
Tomato Pie Dough:
– 4 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
– 2 1/2 cups Hot Water
– 1 packet Rapid Rise Yeast
– 1 tsp Salt
– 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
– extra oil for greasing pans and bowl
– extra flour for spreading out the dough

Tomato Pie Sauce Sauce:
– 1 29-ounce can Tomato Sauce (you may also use whole tomatoes with juice and puree in a blender)
– 6 cloves fresh Garlic, minced
– 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
– 1/4 tsp Salt
– 1/4 tsp Pepper
– 1 tsp Granulated Sugar
– 1/4 cup Fresh Basil, chopped

Topping:
– 5 ounces grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 400 F.
1. Combine dry ingredients for dough in a large mixing bowl (can be mixed with an electric stand mixer, or by hand).
2. Add hot water and olive oil, stirring until smooth. Note: this dough is very sticky compared to pizza dough. However, it should hold together like a dough rather than a batter. Add more flour if needed.
3. Grease a large bowl with olive oil. Place the dough inside and cover with a towel. Set aside to rise.
4. In a large saucepan, heat 2 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Once heated, add garlic and stir until golden brown.
5. Add tomato sauce, sugar, salt, pepper, and basil, stirring to combine. Simmer while you prepare the dough.
6. Grease two baking sheets with olive oil, then sprinkle with flour.
7. Divide dough in half and place on two baking sheets. Sprinkle dough generously with flour, then use fingertips to spread out onto pan.
8. Divide sauce between two pies. Bake for 10 minutes.
9. Remove pies from the oven and divide cheese between both pies, sprinkling over the sauce. Return to the oven for 5 minutes.
10. Allow pies to rest for 10 minutes, then cut into square pieces to serve. May be served hot or cold.

Last edited:
The morons* in Rhode Island call this a pizza strip and they think the only place on this earth you can find it is in the ocean state.

*referring in the nicest possible way to extended family.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I may have to try this. The farmer's market up the street has the most fabulous beefsteak tomatoes. I have been looking for reasons to buy more.

on edit: no "may" about this, I am going to do it. It is Father's Day tomorrow and I want something different, even if I have to resort to ready made crust. This should go well with rib eyes, right?

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have to ask- what thickens up the sauce? I will probably do so whole slices plus purée. Does the cheese thicken it up enough for slicing?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Knowing you, Owen, the only thing that's going to be flowing is the hot sauce! :laugh:

I may actually consume none tomorrow. If I do rib eyes, corn on the cob, and the tomato pie I don't know where to fit it in. Putting any sauce on a good steak is not my style. Maybe I will make nachos for brunch.

Thank you for sharing your recipe. Tomato pie looks and sounds really tasty. The sauce on pizzas is really the most enjoyable part IMHO, so I always ask for extra sauce. Your recipe certainly meets that requirement. Can't wait to try and make this.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I will have you know that I didn't grill today- too tired. Went with the wife to our favorite Chinese restaurant- Ying Cafe. I got pork egg foo Yung. I always eat this with Chinese mustard. They have two strengths- the American strength in packet, plus the Chinese strength, which they make in house. The latter is what I always get. Opens the sinuses right up

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I will have you know that I didn't grill today- too tired. Went with the wife to our favorite Chinese restaurant- Ying Cafe. I got pork egg foo Yung. I always eat this with Chinese mustard. They have two strengths- the American strength in packet, plus the Chinese strength, which they make in house. The latter is what I always get. Opens the sinuses right up

Nothing like a good hot mustard. Get some hot English mustard powder and mix your own. That is the only mustard I knew growing up.
We would mix it with a dash of milk to make a paste. I believe the Chinese use the same but with water.
IMO a hot mustard is a good a hot sauce in some applications.

That Pizza looks very nice.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Nothing like a good hot mustard. Get some hot English mustard powder and mix your own. That is the only mustard I knew growing up.
We would mix it with a dash of milk to make a paste. I believe the Chinese use the same but with water.
IMO a hot mustard is a good a hot sauce in some applications.

That Pizza looks very nice.
I have a love for Chinese mustard- hot and tasty.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I went a bit off the reservation. I puréed up 4 beefsteak tomatoes instead of using canned. I also added pecorino to the sauce to thicken it up, and added to pie crusts. I also sprinkled pecorino on top. They are cooling now- they need to thicken a little bit more. Hopefully I didn't totally fail.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 67
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 66
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 66
Top Bottom