What's new

Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher ?

I am a HUGE Jack Reacher fan, and I too, find this laughable. But I'm glad to see a movie done about one of my favorite characters. I hope the movie, despite the actor chosen to play the lead, does the book justice.

My wife and I, years ago, tried to think of an "name" actor that we felt could do the Reacher character well. The best we could come up with was Liam Neeson, although I wasn't so sure he could pull it off. Maybe a younger Harrison Ford (Star Wars era) would have been a good choice, as well.

Not to hijack the thread, but who could you gentlemen see as Reacher????

Beerman

Reacher is a great character, and Cruise, though weird, is an excellent actor. Lacking actual height, he can compensate with a strong presence. Hope he does; the Reacher stories could make a great bunch of movies.

You know, this same kind of talk surfaced years ago when Tom Cruise was cast as Lestat in Interview With A Vampire -- with the most notable critic being Anne Rice.

That turned out pretty good, eh?

I just read the vitals at wikipedia. 6'5" and 230lb? Tom Cruise? Oh boy. It is always hilarious how Hollywood makes these actors out to look huge. And they fudge constantly about their heights as well. Clint Eastwood is always listed at 6'4" inches in tabloids and papers. Look at him standing beside other people. No where near 6'4". Maybe breaks 6'. For one thing, legitimate 6'5" guys are not nearly as common as you'd think. I work at a large university and I see a lot of kids over 6' these days. A LOT. But those who stretch out to an honest six and a half feet are pretty rare. About the only actor I can think of that comes close is Dolph Lundgren. He is twenty years too old and not exactly Oscar material. Maybe that chap who played Thor but stoic he isn't. Hugh Jackman comes to mind and he is an honest six plus footer and he is near the right age. He keeps himself in top shape too. I don't know about a bleached hairdo though. I still think I would rather see Jackman than Cruise for a role like this. I mean Cruise being a charter member of the five and a half footer club...

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Frankly I'm kind of glad to hear this, as there had been rumors that he was going to play Wendell Fertig, the Hero of Mindanao.
I wondered why folks had begun to talk of Brad Pitt doing the movie (based on the historical novel "They Fought Alone), and perhaps this is why.

I have a hard time imagining Cruise playing anything serious now. I'm not sure I can take him seriously. 6'5"? Maybe standing on a couple of phone books, and maybe, MAYBE 250 lbs if he's carrying jugs of laundry detergent. But that would make for an awkward movie.

He was an awful Clark.

Love Dafoe, but he certainly wasn't a john clark to me. IMO John Clark needed to be an action hero kind of guy, that is actually smart. Currently Matt Damon might be able to pull it off.
Never thought Ford as Jack Ryan worked out well either.

Cruise as Reacher is a stretch, I'd really think someone like Ray Stevenson would be better.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Love Dafoe, but he certainly wasn't a john clark to me. IMO John Clark needed to be an action hero kind of guy, that is actually smart. Currently Matt Damon might be able to pull it off.
Never thought Ford as Jack Ryan worked out well either.

Cruise as Reacher is a stretch, I'd really think someone like Ray Stevenson would be better.

I agree with all of that. To tell you the truth, I cannot say who would be a good Jack Ryan.

Laughable miscasting for anyone who has read the books. You need a big surly burly dude with muscles to play Reacher. I don't think I could sit through the movie without being annoyed by Tom Cruise's presence.

Guys,
Thanks for cluing me in on this set of books. I'd never heard of Lee Child or Jack Reacher, but after reading this thread, downloaded the first of the Jack Reacher books last night and began reading it. Enjoying the first twenty pages so far.

Now stop picking on Tom Cruise. He did Risky Business and so we must forgive him for everything else.

I'm a real Reacher fan. Discovered him in June of this year, read all the books by September. Great character. The last actor I would of thought that would play Reacher was Cruise though.

Reacher is blond, 6' 5", 240 lbs....and his size is an integral part of his character. I don't know what Tom's dimensions are....but there is a significant difference. The casting....hmmmnnn...

I think a good choice to play Reacher would be Scottish actor, Gerard Butler.....6' 2" , powerfully built and he can act....he can also do accents....also early 40's in age.

If the clock could be turned back....an actor from the past....Victor McLagen. A Hollywood star...6' 3"....excellent actor (The Informer) very powerfully built...a boxer in his younger years...and he was ex Military Police....the British Army Provost Marshall for Baghdad after WW 1. Reacher could of been based on him.

One and only one flaw....he passed away many years ago. Well...nobody's perfect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom