What's new

Tobacco ID?....

...so I have a few pipes that belonged to my Great-Grandfather (d.1975), and they havnt been smoked since he died. I am trying to find out what tobacco he smoked. Now, I know that this is almost impossible over the internet, but I was wondering if any of you fellas could help me out. When I draw on the pipe, I get a sweet taste...thats really all I have to go on. It had to have been a standard, OTD tobacco, but I dont know where to start. Are there any classic OTC tobaccos that have a sweet aftertaste?...I'd like to smoke the same as he did. I know my grandfather used to smoke Half and Half (which I enjoy greatly)...any help is greatly appreciated...

Middleton's Cherry or Captain Black would be good guesses.

...did a bit of research. I bet Middleton's is what he smoked. From what Ive read, it fits the profile nicely. I'll have to get a pouch next week. I was just at the tobacco shop yesterday, for a pouch of Half and Half...forgot pipe cleaners though :glare:...looks like I'll grab a pack of Middleton's while I'm there...

By the way, just because he smoked it doesn't mean you'll enjoy it. Some things have changed in pipe tobaccos in the intervening years. Not all of it has been good. A lot of old, venerable blends have been perverted.

Don't mean to rain on a parade, just a heads up.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

...Ive smoked a few bowls of Middleton's Cherry so far. I like it. Its pretty smooth, with a nice taste. Cant tell what the room note is though...

Top Bottom