What's new

Tobacco as a treat

I have been a casual user of tobacco for 12 years now. Never been addicted, sometimes go months between uses.

Depends a lot on the person I guess.

I'd say if it makes you happy then try it, if you start feeling like you "need" or even "really want" to smoke then stop, before it gets out of control.

Be careful. Avoid inhaling, and be counscious of what you're doing. The slope is REALLY slippery. I was able to stop before I lost control, when I saw that my "weekly pipe" had become "tue-thu-fri" pipe.

Life is short, do what you want. This is the tobacco forum, not the good decisions forum.

That said, cigarettes are a bloody miserable ride compared to pipes, cigars, snus, and chew. If you're wanting something tobacco, see if you like snus; odds are very very high that the worst that happens as a result of a snus habit is needing to poo at an inconvenient time. Seriously, it's almost totally safe. Not quite, but to the point where most of the risk washes out with other lifestyle factors.

Heres the thing, I smoke pipes and cigars very occasionally and I consider it to be like alcohol (or really anything else in life). There's an appropriate amount to everything. If you drink a six pack of beer everyday, like say a pack of cigs a day or three cigars, bad things will happen to you. I enjoy, at most, two cigars or pipes a month. Sometimes I go months without either. Now, I can't guarantee that I'll be free of tobacco related illness, but my risk is significantly lower than heavier smokers. Heck some bar patrons are subjected to more smoke (albeit secondhand) than I do.

I would say not to smoke, but if you do I reccomend pipe smoking. I have been smoking a pipe since 2002 or so, I quit completely for a year or so and didnt think anything of it. I personally am not addicted, as I just went several days or so without a bowl and was just too busy and lazy to do so.

Though NB that it is possible (in fact easy) to become addicted to any tobacco product. How big of a deal an addiction is is a matter for you to decide on your own; I disliked (though never really hated, just would have preferred not to) being addicted to cigarettes, though quite liked being addicted to snus. I'm currently 'clean,' which I am approximately neutral on. The nice thing about addictions is that you're rarely bored...

by switching to snuff, you're just switching from lung ca to mouth ca. they add ground fiberglass to snuff to scratch the mucosal lining, to allow for better transfer of nicotine to the blood.

if i do any oral tobacco, i do redman loose leaf. still not the best, but.....

2 cigs a week won't addict you. but, then you go to a party and buy a pack of smokes. have some left after the party, so you smoke them until they're gone, because they'll get stale by next weekend. then, hey, it's tuesday, did something good, i'll buy a pack.. a year later, you're up to a pack a day. very slippery slope, and one you don't know you're sliding down, until you're near the bottom of the hill.

This sums it up for me... very tough addiction and its the "treats" that got me hooked. I am using a Volcano Inferno e-cig now and it really helps with my cravings.

Top Bottom