What's new

To Alum or not to Alum

I am new to wet shaving, but let me tell you, since using an alum block I see my face heal up SUPER fast. Being that my technique isn't at it's best yet, the alum block helps seal everything up and stop the irritation. Yes, it burns at first (sometimes), but the benefits, for me, are great. I also use it as an indicator as to where my technique should improve. Some spots burn, some don't. The parts that burn mean I obviously didn't shave properly there. I guess I consider myself lucky that I discovered it so early on, but I wish I had discovered it back when I was using cartridges as well. YMMV, but I LOVE using the alum block. I follow it wish a splash of witch hazel after it dries up a bit and then I use a shave balm to moisturize.

I've been using the same block after every shave for over a year. I reckon it has 2 years left in it. I love the feel and the feedback.

Used the alum block for the first time today. It burns slightly and let me know were I was less then perfect on my technique. It really tightened up my face afterwards. Also was great to use on my hands so I could stretch my skine when I needed too.
Glad I purchased one, just wish I would have sooner. Will be added to the daily routine.

My alum block is a part of my routine, after shaving, rinse face and neck with cold water , dip block in cold water and off you go.

Feel the burn....

To Alum or not to Alum?

That is the question.

I used alum for years but then stopped when I ran out/moved/lost it/whatever. Only after beginning with the DE did I try it again. I realize I actually kind of missed it.

I don't NEED it every shave, and occasionally I don't use it. But I use it on most shaves and occasionally I am reminded why I have it. I can feel it help heal my face after a particularly aggressive shave.

Other than the very minimal cost, I can't really think of a downside.

Thanks Dean, that's sort of my take on it, and why I use it. Was just wondering if anyone had an objective reason as to why it might be unwise to use it daily.

After the couple of barbershop shaves I got many years ago the barber rubbed an alum block on my face. The first shave was when he shaved off a full beard I wore for a few years. The alum really helped cool the skin. Lately, after getting into using a DE, I couldn't find any alum locally, so I picked up some Unscented Crystone deodorant from a local health food store. Ingredients are Potassium alum and aloe vera. It works great after shaving. Potassium alum works well as a deodorant, too, especially if regular deodorant causes a rash or you don't like the scent.

I ordered an alum block when stocking up after I learned about them. Used it for a few weeks. It feels good to run it over your skin after rinsing it in cold water. That's all it was doing for me. I quit out of laziness. Now it is in its plastic case, in the cabinet.

My RR Alum gets used after every shave so far. So far I like it. It tells me if I had a good or bad shave in regards to my skin and helps the healing process if needed. After the alum application I clean up my sink and then use a cotton pad soaked with some Thayer's WH to clean up the skin. Followed by AS.

The Alum also works great when used on the arm pits to keep them from smelling. So far I haven't noticed anything negative except for the burn when the skin is irritated after a shave. The other thing to watch out for is that there might be sharp edges, if you manage to drop the Alum stone and pieces break off.

I used it wet and on a wet face and feel no burn overall and just occasionally on any area where I was a bit rough with the shaving.

I spray on witch hazel after that and then towel off and apply after shave and then sometime balm. It may be overkill but my skin feels good and I enjoy it.

If you don't need it, you don't need it.

It does tighten the skin, but I find it too drying (it is a salt) to use regularly.
If I'm losing a bit of blood that hasn't stopped with my rinse, I'll give it a once-over with the alum block. If that doesn't do it, then it's time for the styptic gel... but I can normally tell right away if the gel will be needed (drops/runs forming).
Doesn't happen often at all.

Normally, just an aftershave splash after drying off.

+1 My alum block is such an essential part of my shave, I have a RazoRock traveling version. I really appreciate the feedback.

only con I can think of. or if you had a rough shave with some irritation it will burn. burns like an AS would, nothing greater, and eases up just as fast.

it will teach you how to develop a technique that leaves less irritation. :001_cool:

I used it all over my face and neck after every shave at first. Now I only use it on cuts because it dries out my skin. It works as well as styptic for me and doesn't leave the white residue.

Top Bottom