What's new

To Alum or not to Alum

Are there any cons to using an Alum block after shaving? Do you use an Alum block as part of your post shave routine?

I just received an Alum block today and was planning on using it after tomorrow's shave. Always have a styptic pencil on hand just in case but will be interested in how the alum works.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
If you have sensitive skin it burns like fire when rubbed on your face after shaving....:biggrin1:
only con I can think of. or if you had a rough shave with some irritation it will burn. burns like an AS would, nothing greater, and eases up just as fast.

it will teach you how to develop a technique that leaves less irritation. :001_cool:

I stopped using alum pretty quickly after getting into traditional wetshaving. I think I have an allergy to it or very sensitive skin. I certainly irritated... not helpful to me. Now I just use witch hazel and A/S.

I use alum after the cold water splash. I let my face dry while I'm cleaning up, then rinse the alum off with more cold water, followed by witch hazel. Let the witch hazel dry, then AS.

Potassium Alum after almost every shave. Applied lightly after cold rinse and washed/rinsed off after cleaning bowl/brush (less than a minute). Witch hazel or AS.

In my mind the words in bold are important, to me at least.

To Alum or not to Alum?

That is the question.

I used alum for years but then stopped when I ran out/moved/lost it/whatever. Only after beginning with the DE did I try it again. I realize I actually kind of missed it.

I don't NEED it every shave, and occasionally I don't use it. But I use it on most shaves and occasionally I am reminded why I have it. I can feel it help heal my face after a particularly aggressive shave.

Other than the very minimal cost, I can't really think of a downside.

For me it's a good learning tool. I think I will use it until I can manage to get a consistently good feedback from it. After that I don't know, but so far I enjoy using it.

In the longer term, it gives me irritation. I only use it when I cut myself (happens rarely), so my alum block lasts for ages.

I stopped using alum pretty quickly after getting into traditional wetshaving. I think I have an allergy to it or very sensitive skin. I certainly irritated... not helpful to me. Now I just use witch hazel and A/S.

I've started to straight shave & use the alum to get better grip for stretching with my non-shaving hand, before that I kicked it out of my post shave routine because of this ^^^

Top Bottom