What's new

Titanium razor handles? Good or bad?

Some razor heads pair very well with a ti handle. I like stork handles and also another maker from eastern europe (I think), but don’t recall the name of the company. Funny how they’ve seem to go out of fashion in the forums … such are social trends …

I only have 1 titanium razor, its my Timeless TI95. When it comes to choosing a handle, the only reason why a person would want a titanium handle, is to reduce the weight, thats pretty much the only defining quality for me. But of course Timeless only makes the Crown handle in titanium, so there's that too I suppose. The Crown handle looks gorgeous, has awesome knurling too, so you can get a quality grip with it, and it won't be like the Futur, where it gives you the slip.

Now, I find, when it comes to the head of the razor, that being made of titanium, has more value to me then simply weight reduction or looks. There is something about the way that titanium feels on the skin, it just feels so soft! I could be wrong, but it always felt like the alloy of titanium, contributed, even however a small amount to, the smoothness of that razors glide.

In regards to weight, titanium is usually seen as the goldilocks point, because the weight is inbetween aluminum, and stainless steel. So if your somebody who doesn't like the super light weight of aluminum, nor the higher weight of stainless steel, titanium might indeed be a viable option for you. But just make sure you really want it first, cause anything titanium is more expensive then any of the other metal alloy's.
My take on the Goldilocks point (and I can't prove this) is that we have a statistical tendency to select the middle one.

Having said that, I'm liking the Razorock titanium Halo handle on my Gamechanger and the Timeless Crown is on my radar.

I'd like to see a blind test on the feel of ti vs alu vs ss on heads with identical finishes. My suspicion is that this is about finishes, with a very slight contribution due to thermal characteristics.

End of idle speculation :letterk1:

... Thom

IMG_4770.jpeg

Windrose Ti - 90mm 42grams UK made.

The only way to know if you like it is to try.

I was curious about Ti for razors and bought a cheap Ti razor to see how it went. Turns out I love the razor overall, but I do find it a bit too light. I prefer the heft of stainless and brass, but that's just me.
I find a lightweight razor requires more fine control of pressure for a good shave. A bit of weight makes it much easier for me to get a consistently good shave.

I believe many shaver’s underestimate the handles of their razors. A razor is a tool. Like any other hand held tool the handle is key to efficient use of the tool. Preference is ultimately very important if the user wants light, medium, or heavy weight. The girth and length are also just as important for comfortable use. All these elements of handle selection are more important to users who specifically have a shave style that they wish to maintain.

Many shavers are happy to use many different razors having great variations in their handles. These shavers happily make their adjustments to the razors requirements and shave on. Their shave style may change because their razors require differing techniques and adjustments, which ultimately affect their shave style. Handles are considered but ultimately not a deal breaker one way or the other.

Shavers who do have a very specific shave style are less prone to move through too many changes in weight balance and dimensions of their handles. They use fewer razors in order to maintain their preferred shave style.

Recently I replaced my Fatip Gold Grande which was in exclusive use for over three years. Yes I’m one of those shavers who must have a razor that will accommodate my shave style without me adapting to the razor. One of the charms of the Grande is its hollow brass handle. This provides an excellent weight and balance very well suited to my shave style.

The GC Lupo OC95 my new razor head was selected for its efficiency, head profile, and design. The SS handles offered would not accommodate my shave style requirements. A Chiseled Face Pineapple twist Titanium handle filled my requirements. The 13mmx85 mm handle was very close to the Grande’s hollow brass handle. The weight and balance of the Lupo’s combination turned out to be an improvement for my weekly face and head shaves.

So in this case a Titanium Handle was my only option. The Lupo’s elevated efficiency and performance continue to improve as I acquaint myself with it’s operational limits.

IMG_0491.jpeg
IMG_0489.jpeg

Happy Shaves

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Titanium has about half the density of Stainless Steel.
Titanium has a higher strength to weight ratio than SS.
Titanium weighs about 40% of similar SS items.
Titanium is more expensive both in terms of raw material and work necessary to machine it.
I think much of the Titanium demand is marketing and "the next cool thing" factor.
To me, I doubt I can easily tell the difference between a 3.5 ounce and a 1.5 ounce object. Side by side, yes... but in normal grab it and use it? Probably not.
If it's the "I have something made from Titanium!" effect, go for it.
Otherwise Brass and SS are likely to have more intricate work and knurling, and that impresses me more than a few grams of weight difference.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I bought my first Timeless Ti Crown handle not because of weight reduction... I just thought it looked cool in so many of David / @never-stop-learning 's photos.

It wasn't until I used it that I noticed I liked the way the balance of the razor was tilted toward the razor head instead of handle heavy. For me, that made shaving even more pleasurable. To me, it was one of those lucky, unintended consequences. I use Ti Crown handles on every SS razor I have. I also have a couple lighter weight bronze handles... because they are hollow.. and around 40 grams, give or take.

This stuff is so subjective..... That's part of the fun... reading about what other people love... and also what they detest. ;)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I bought my first Timeless Ti Crown handle not because of weight reduction... I just thought it looked cool in so many of David / @never-stop-learning 's photos.

It wasn't until I used it that I noticed I liked the way the balance of the razor was tilted toward the razor head instead of handle heavy. For me, that made shaving even more pleasurable. To me, it was one of those lucky, unintended consequences. I use Ti Crown handles on every SS razor I have. I also have a couple lighter weight bronze handles... because they are hollow.. and around 40 grams, give or take.

This stuff is so subjective..... That's part of the fun... reading about what other people love... and also what they detest. ;)
I prefer the same balance characteristics. :)

Top Bottom