What's new

Tiring of the chase

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have been shaving this way, using soap, brush, and single blade razor, since the mid-1960s, and I have always used splashes. Over the years there were so many I loved, such as Eau Sauvage, original Polo, Acqua di Selva, various St.John's, various Guerlains, Yardley Lavender and Black Label, Nine Flags, Dunhill, Tuscany, YSL, various Caswell Massey and Crabtree and Evelyn, various Chanel, Penhaligon's fern, Grey Flannel, and even brief flings with English Leather, Jade East, and Canoe. For the last couple of decades I have used chiefly 4711 cologne, but now and then I seek out and try an old classic. Right now I am nearing the end of a wonderful little bottle of Eau Sauvage. As many here do, I scour the internet for things I enjoyed that are out of production or just hard to find. The prices are just getting crazy, three digits for a small Eau Sauvage or YSL. The pricing and the scarcity have led me to think of throwing in the towel. I love 4711. In that 800 ml jug, it is quite affordable. Anybody else getting tired of relentlessly searching and, upon finding something you recall fondly, paying exorbitant prices? Tired enough to think of calling off the hunt?

I have tried a few of the newer offerings. Most only come in sprays (a dozen presses gets enough in your palm to use them as a splash). Most just don't light me up the way the older offerings did. Even if they did, my goodness they, too, are pricey.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
For many years I purchased every drop of vintage kanon and Gillette Sun Up that I could find. In the old days at big flea markets prices weren't that far off the original retail price. Those prices slowly climbed at first, but ebay sent them into the stratosphere. A 4oz bottle of kanon aftershave that sold for about $7 in 1972 sold for around $12-$15 in the 90s, and could be had on ebay for about $20-$25 ten years ago. Today I seldom see it below $80. Sun Up is even more ridiculous. And both products can skunk quite easily. Be careful. Fortunately, I have enough of both kanon and Sun Up to last several lifetimes...in a cool, dark place...

Right now that same phenomenon is happening with Mugler Cologne. I just bought 2 bottles at $40 apiece (original 2001 retail was about $20). Every bottle I see on ebay is $65 and up. Those 2 bottles will have to last a loooong time.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile

!!!

Perusing ebay aftershave prices makes me ill. It's alcohol and water with fragrance. There's no reason a 4 oz bottle of old spice should cost upwards of $30-50. If Pinaud clubman ever gets discontinued i'll buy a gallon jug or two and be done with it all.

I have been shaving this way, using soap, brush, and single blade razor, since the mid-1960s, and I have always used splashes. Over the years there were so many I loved, such as Eau Sauvage, original Polo, Acqua di Selva, various St.John's, various Guerlains, Yardley Lavender and Black Label, Nine Flags, Dunhill, Tuscany, YSL, various Caswell Massey and Crabtree and Evelyn, various Chanel, Penhaligon's fern, Grey Flannel, and even brief flings with English Leather, Jade East, and Canoe. For the last couple of decades I have used chiefly 4711 cologne, but now and then I seek out and try an old classic. Right now I am nearing the end of a wonderful little bottle of Eau Sauvage. As many here do, I scour the internet for things I enjoyed that are out of production or just hard to find. The prices are just getting crazy, three digits for a small Eau Sauvage or YSL. The pricing and the scarcity have led me to think of throwing in the towel. I love 4711. In that 800 ml jug, it is quite affordable. Anybody else getting tired of relentlessly searching and, upon finding something you recall fondly, paying exorbitant prices? Tired enough to think of calling off the hunt?

I have tried a few of the newer offerings. Most only come in sprays (a dozen presses gets enough in your palm to use them as a splash). Most just don't light me up the way the older offerings did. Even if they did, my goodness they, too, are pricey.

Thanks for the post, Sir Tirvine!
In my case, I never tire of vintage aftershaves!!
I can rationalize the price, with the thought I'm saving on alimony!!

yardley rubberset garantie solingen tuesday black label april 20 2021.jpg

Top Bottom