What's new

Timeless help

I have a personal development goal I am working on, and when I achieve that goal as a reward for myself I have decided to splurge and get an artisan machined razor. I have had various things in my sights the last month or two, but I feel pretty firmly set on getting a Timeless in polished titanium.

What remains is for me to figure out which base plate to get. I currently use a DE89. I am wondering how the timeless blade gap options compare to my DE89. I also am interested in knowing how different the SB and Scalloped options are from each other. I realize timeless has their return policy but ideally I don't want to go through the return process if I can avoid it, so while I am willing to try something out, I am hoping to arrive at the right combination from the start.

My skin is definitely on the tender side, though my beard is fairly coarse. I shave every day generally, with the occasional day off. I don't like much blade feel, but I have no experience with anything more aggressive than an SLOC (which is ok on me but feels rougher than my DE89, so it's likely headed out the door). I have found that very sharp blades are the only way to go for me (Bic, Feather, Kai). Many other blades tend to tug me pretty bad in any razor I have tried. I'm not really interested in an OC.

So what are your suggestions? .68? .95? SB or scalloped?

Thanks in advance!

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I shave everyday and I really have hard time not using my Scalloped polished Titanium Timeless.95.
Most days I use 2 or 3 Razors and Titanium Timeless scalloped .95 has to be part of my daily routine.
For My Face it is just right, smooth and efficient and hardly any blade feel.
I shaved with a DE 98 a few years back and really don't remember how it was .
I also have a polished Titanium Timeless .68
SB and OC and I really like both of them but not as much as the .95 Scalloped.
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191001084515642_COVER.jpg

The .68 is likely to be milder than your current slicer, I'd go .95 and the SB....I had the .68 and felt I needed more aggression/efficiency so went to the .95...I asked the Timeless guys which plate they'd recommend for a daily shaver and they told me SB. I'd had the scalloped version in the .68 and felt it was a little harsher for daily use, although you can get used to anything.

.95SB was my daily driver for almost two months, nothing but good things to say about it.

Far as blade feel, there's almost none. After a month of using the .95 I could shave in the dark with it....you pretty much have to work to cut yourself with it.

Personally, I'd pretty much always want more aggression/efficiency out of a razor and will always choose the higher number out of a group of the same razors; to me you can tame an aggressive razor but can't make a milder razor much more aggressive, short of shimming it. Your technique will evolve over time too, making sure you get the most out of the more efficient model.

I sold all my other razors after attaining my Ti95SB over a year ago and haven't looked back. Although I shave every other day is the main reason I use the .95 gap there are plenty of guys that use it daily. I just don't have enough growth left to be able to shave comfortably the next day... The only change I've made to my Ti95 was I purchased a .95DC plate for it a few months back and am now set for life. I went with OC/SB version and use the OC for my 1st pass, (N-S Ear to goatee / N-S & S-N neck) and SB for the 2nd pass, (ATG goatee to ear / R-L neck) and every shave is BBS. There's absolutely no need for any other razors in my cabinet as the Ti95DC made everything else obsolete because the shaves I get from it are smooth and close...
Ti95DC.jpg

I have the Timelsss SB .68 and it is one of my favorite razors. It is a smooth razor that has given me perfect shaves.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I will do a 3 pass shave using a different Razor for each pass , it is the way I get to use some of my Vintage Razors . I don't use 3 all the time just when I feel like it. Sometimes it's only 2 The Timeless Ti always goes last.

I have used all of The Timeless razors and kept the Ti in .68 OC and the .95 in SB and OC. I am a daily shaver also and I reach for the .68 OC most of the time. It is buttery smooth and consistently gives a 2-3 pass BBS shave without irritation.

I hope you get some help from this thread, but as you’ll see, everyone has a favorite. I read everything I could prior to getting into Timeless, but still had to try them. Never used the titanium versions, but have owned every SS they make. I shave my face every day and head twice a week. I have a full head of thick hair. I settled on the .68 OC with scalloped cap for a regular rotation razor for the face. I use the .95 OC scalloped cap for the head. I occasionally use the .95 OC for face, but don’t think I could use it every day.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Another vote for the 68.
i have the 68oc and nothing knocks it off its pedestal
Timeless also has a nice return program so if the oc is too much you can switch. Ive read where you can call and discuss specifications directly with timeless also if you are unsure. Either way congrats on your goal and i m sure you will love the timeless

I have the .95 scalloped bar in SS and have been shaving every day this week. DFS with no irritation. It's only my second week with it, so I'm still getting used to it. I have a course beard and sensitive skin. It's a beautiful razor, and shaves well.

I'm very surprised with myself. I'd spent the past couple of years pretty much working the Timeless stainless 0.68 in smooth bar and scalloped, with both smooth and scalloped caps. Even with the most significant blades, it became a daily simple shave with a lot of unconscious competence. Just enough closeness to be smooth as silk at the shave and yet enough stubble to shave the next day. Sort of saying I'd learned not to push so I could have two, three, or four days of closeness because I pushed too much if you know what I mean?

Well, early on, I had kept an eye out for an SB/OC base in 0.95 and got it. Back then I'd used it a few times and it was ok, nothing special, and just set it back on the counter. A month ago I figured it was time to try it again because I realized I was getting a bit bored with it. I let my beard go for a week and took at it, figuring a good test of both sides against loads of beard and then again against a daily shave. REMARKABLE!

I don't know what to say to you about what you want to do, yourself, today. But I do know you should expense for at least the dual base in 0.95 if you go 0.68 and vice verse if you go the other way. It's all about options and seriously, there are very few razors as nice and as well balanced as Timeless. Even so, you'll enjoy the option and repeat the discovery at least a few times during the rest of your shaving days.

For me, I still have a number of different razors to play with when I need change. Even the likes of the Feather to have something which can be mindlessly safe, and yet pushed gently but just so to give that scarry clean shave if you go for it. And I still have my single edges based upon the Feather shavette. Even have a DX so...lots of options. Maybe you'll end up the same way too, someday.

edit:/ Laugh out loud: I forgot I can go explore the 0.68 open comb too... that one is still sitting on the counter!

Last edited:
Any comparison between an Ikon OSS SB/OC combo vs the Timeless stainless SB or Scalloped? Typically shave every 3 days with Astra blades using the straight bar side only of my OSS so I'm not sure if the .68 or .95 is similar to my set up. I've been away from the board for awhile and I thought Ikon was thought of highly when I got this OSS. Not sure if there's a big enough difference between the OSS and a Timeless setup. I will say that I'm digging that pineapple handle from Timeless.

Anyone know if a Timeless handle will work on a Ikon head or vice versa? Are they both M5 threading?

Last edited:
Like you I have sensitive skin and coarse beard, also owned the DE89 and never got on with it. I procured the Timeless with .68 or .95 scalloped plates. For daily shaving .68 loaded with a sharp blade works best.
Good luck.

My first razor was a DE89 but i could never get BBS shaves from it so i moved onto more efficient razors. I have the Timeless .95 SB SS and this delivers a very close and smooth shave, it is an amazing razor.

I personally didnt bother with the 0.68 as i feel it would be too much on the mild side for me.

If you are enjoying the DE89 and happy with the shaves it delivers you should be more than happy with the 0.68

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Really happy with Ti .68 scalloped, custom Ti handle.

When I want more aggressive, I just loosen the head a fraction of a turn.

AA

I shave everyday and I really have hard time not using my Scalloped polished Titanium Timeless.95.
Most days I use 2 or 3 Razors and Titanium Timeless scalloped .95 has to be part of my daily routine.
For My Face it is just right, smooth and efficient and hardly any blade feel.
I shaved with a DE 98 a few years back and really don't remember how it was .
I also have a polished Titanium Timeless .68
SB and OC and I really like both of them but not as much as the .95 Scalloped.
View attachment 1024719
I will hang with Graydog on this one I have a Timeless SS Scalloped OC .95 and a Timeless Bronze OC .78 and the scalloped is a dream of a razor.

I've the .68 and the .95 in a solid bar. The 68 is use for a quick shave, the .95 is my desert island shave. Just love the stainless set up. In fact Im going to pick up a .95 bar as a back up.

Top Bottom