What's new

TI Silver Wing in the shop

Some of you may remember my article about the new Thiers-Issard straight razor forgings. Well, a first consignment of these has just started to hit the shops as a special, limited edition razor known as the "Silver Wing".

Those who are interested can follow the link to the internet site of RasurPur.de which is showing some very juicy pix of the new offering (complete with special matching boxes).

The link is: http://www.rasurpur.de/english/shop/shop.html

... and when you get there, click on the "Silverwing LE" link on the right hand side of the screen... and then scroll down to the bottom of that page to find the pix.

- Ignatz

Some of you may remember my article about the new Thiers-Issard straight razor forgings. Well, a first consignment of these has just started to hit the shops as a special, limited edition razor known as the "Silver Wing".

Those who are interested can follow the link to the internet site of RasurPur.de which is showing some very juicy pix of the new offering (complete with special matching boxes).

The link is: http://www.rasurpur.de/english/shop/shop.html

... and when you get there, click on the "Silverwing LE" link on the right hand side of the screen... and then scroll down to the bottom of that page to find the pix.

- Ignatz

Got one on the way. I'll be testing/reviewing it shortly!

Something to mention - while this is a "limited edition" this steel is to eventually be used in/on ALL new TI razors, so if you aren't in a major hurry, you can more than likely get one in the same steel with whatever handle choice you desire, and for quite a bit less $ than the LE Silverwing.

We'll have to see how they perform.

Wow, I was hoping the poor design / grind was only for the prototypes :eek:

Unless Joel proclaims this to be better than or at least equal to his Chronik, it will be very easy not to purchase one :biggrin:

Cheers
Ivo

I actually quite like the design of the blade no gold plating just classic clean look. The limited edition with cocobolo scales is quite the looker :001_tt1:

I am disappointed with final size. Initially the Silverwing was advertised to be 6/8 blade. Looks like the production model (LE edition) is only a 5/8. :frown: Lets hope they also have 6/8 blade.

Amyn;

The looks are somewhat deceiving, as the new blade blade forging from TI is an actual 6/8 blade (I have the luxury of being able to measure the actual width of the test model I received). However, it is true that what some other companies advertise as a 6/8 is sometimes wider (and/or longer). This razor felt a little on the small side to me when I first received it, but after long use it has become my favorite and I now regard the size and weight as being 'just right'.

- Ignatz

Amyn;

The looks are somewhat deceiving, as the new blade blade forging from TI is an actual 6/8 blade (I have the luxury of being able to measure the actual width of the test model I received). However, it is true that what some other companies advertise as a 6/8 is sometimes wider (and/or longer). This razor felt a little on the small side to me when I first received it, but after long use it has become my favorite and I now regard the size and weight as being 'just right'.

- Ignatz

Ignatz,
Your pre-production version is 6/8. The finalized production version with cocobolo handles is 5/8.

Gosh, Joel;

You are right. ... and shame on me! I was so thrilled with the pix on the site that my eyes must have jumped right over the numbers.

- Ignatz

I think the blade looks nice. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the inlay.

I think the blade looks like TI decided to have twin stabilizing pieces, then in the grinding process the apprentice couldn't pull it off :eek:

WHat's the point of going for the two pieces on the shoulder if you are going to grind half of one off? It just looks wrong. Compare to a Heljestrand say 31 oe 32 to see a nice shape with 2 stabilizers intact and a really nice thumb notch

Cheers
Ivo

I think the blade looks like TI decided to have twin stabilizing pieces, then in the grinding process the apprentice couldn't pull it off :eek:

WHat's the point of going for the two pieces on the shoulder if you are going to grind half of one off? It just looks wrong. Compare to a Heljestrand say 31 oe 32 to see a nice shape with 2 stabilizers intact and a really nice thumb notch

Cheers
Ivo

2 pieces on the shoulder? Huh?

I guess I'm not as picky, but it looks very nice.

BTW....am I the only one that thinks the case looks like a coffin....?

Exactly, Bjorn!

(and I agree with you on the inlay too)

Here's a Helje photo, compare to TI:

proxy.php

M

Masher

I think the blade looks great. The scales, however...I've never been crazy about wood scales. Just my opinion.

I'm with you on this -- put the horn back on and
I would be all over this razor.

- Scott

Different strokes for different folks :biggrin: With 12+ TI's, most of which horn scaled, I think it's kinda neat this one is in cocobolo, as this will be the only razor from them in this wood, and will probably look stunning in person.

My only real complaint, is that this razor seems to be overpriced for what you're getting, however with the demand for TI razors going up, and their quality going up, I have a feeling in short order the rest of their razors will be going up drastically in price as well. It wasn't too long ago you could get a 6/8 heavy back (which they're now calling a "frame back") TI with a worked square back and genuine horn scales for $89 shipped. Now, the same razor, WITHOUT the worked back, and with much less expensive Red Stamina scales is a whopping $199. Seeing as how the price difference between a 7/8 stamina handled TI VS the 7/8 blonde horn TI on classic is $64, that means the going price for this razor (NOT including the worked back) would be $263 (and probably another $50 or so for the worked back) which is a VERY big departure from the $89 I paid only a few years ago. If their prices continue to increase like this (and I suspect they will as the US dollar is doing so poorly right now, and most of the prices of razors we're seeing stateside have been in stock) I hate to say it - but the Silverwing might be considered a killer deal in 6 months. In any case, it should be interesting to see how well this thing performs, and more importantly, how well it's made.

We'll find out soon! :thumbup1:

Looks a lot like the old Spartacus razors they made, complete with 1.5 stabilizers (bottom of picture below). Seems they are using the same style of blade with some fancy scales and a new steel. I really like the balance and shape or my Spartacus and I guess they did too. If it aint broke, don't fix it I suppose.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
My wing arrived! :biggrin:

I must say.... it's a really gorgeous razor - and it appears as though I got a great set of cocobolo scales (some had emailed me saying theirs were a bit plain looking) as mine are stunning and you can easily tell they're cocobolo. Now - while I love the razor.... one thing I loved even more.... on the certificate of authenticity signed by the owner of TI, it sends you to badgerandblade.com! AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I think for that alone... I might have to own 10 :wink:

Dammit Joel......I had to pre-order one:wink:

Now I just hope that I'm able to get one.

Boy, str8t shaving is getting to be as expensive as mountain biking for me....:biggrin:

Top Bottom