What's new

Thoughts On Reusing A Blade

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have mentioned this before in a previous post about the cost of blades. In the USA you members are lucky. Out here in Australia we pay a lot more for our razor blades. I work in a Supermarket and we sell a 10 pack of Indian Wilkinson Sword for $14.00. We sell a 12 pack of Jack the Barber blades for $16.00 which are rebranded Dorco blades, and we sell a 10 pack of King C Gillette blades for $14.00. We pay over a dollar per blade. I can usually get 7 shaves per blade, some blades seem done after 4 shaves and some feel like the can go on for more than seven. As long as what you are doing works for you that is fantastic. I personally find that most blades that I use get better on shaves three and four and that the first shave can be a little harsh.

I have mentioned this before in a previous post about the cost of blades. In the USA you members are lucky. Out here in Australia we pay a lot more for our razor blades. I work in a Supermarket and we sell a 10 pack of Indian Wilkinson Sword for $14.00. We sell a 12 pack of Jack the Barber blades for $16.00 which are rebranded Dorco blades, and we sell a 10 pack of King C Gillette blades for $14.00. We pay over a dollar per blade. I can usually get 7 shaves per blade, some blades seem done after 4 shaves and some feel like the can go on for more than seven. As long as what you are doing works for you that is fantastic. I personally find that most blades that I use get better on shaves three and four and that the first shave can be a little harsh.

Wow, why so expensive? Small market, lower demand I'm guessing.

Vietnam is what, like 4000 miles away? I would think Dorco would flood the down under with inexpensive blades. India and China aren't so far away in the grand scheme of things.

How about Gillette Minora Stainless? Those seem pretty popular in an Aussie shaving forum that I visit. Are they also available but expensive?

@Eric_75 We should relocate your blade factory to Australia for our needy brothers and sisters. Put me in charge of marketing. We can undercut all the competition and then sew up the market. :cuppa:

I think those who keep Excel spreadsheets or highly detailed records are actually just hooked on compiling data for the personal fun of it rather than the actual monetary savings. I think my own simpler data gathering is just a part of the hobby and I assume it will not take long and I will simply find what works best and stay with that, at least for the most part. It is always fun to try different blades, razors, soaps or techniques. That's the hobby.
I'm definitely in the compiling data for the personal fun of it.

Henson Razor First Use: October 14, 2021
"First ever Face and Head shave with the Henson AL 13 Mild. I had my doubts with the small blade gap but the results just blew me away! Ridiculously good!"

Henson Usage (number of shaves) through 03/20/2024
Total shave with Henson Razors: 846
Detailed breakdown by aggression:

Henson Mild = 411
Henson Medium = 165
Henson Aggressive= 271

As for blades, I just like using them once.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I think those who keep Excel spreadsheets or highly detailed records are actually just hooked on compiling data for the personal fun of it rather than the actual monetary savings.
Yes, this! Not me though. I normally bin a blade after three 3-pass shaves just because I like to switch it up. There are exceptions of course. One time I took a Personna 74 twice around a D20 die. That’s 40 3-pass shaves on one blade. And even then I only binned it because I was bored of that blade. You do you. That’s what I always say.

Me? I do plenty of spreadsheets and data analytics at work. Not need to involve that into my shaves. Lol.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My second thought is that you are doing it just right. You found a method that makes you happy and you win.

My third thought is that - aside from Feather blades that are only good for two shaves - most blades easily go 4 for me, or 12 passes. Most could go longer, but in keeping track a few years back I found that about once a month I would get a weeper on pass 15, so I no longer get to pass 15. There was a time I did 7 days on Med Preps, but my beard was not the old man white I deal with now.

My first thought was that doing a 3 pass shave every three days hurt my brain. Day one looks great, day two looks like you forgot to shave and day three . . . ? Why not a daily one pass shave? Same number of passes per week and no scruffy face. But fortunately for you my brain pain over this conundrum means less than nothing. Carry on.

Blades are mass production product, would not think you do not have QC Inspector checking each one, so the sharpness could & does very from blade to blade. After wet shaving a while most person I would think learn the fell of blade getting dull. Setting a number of shave per blade is not economical, as if you get BAD BLADE are you going to still use 5 times?

My over-riding thought is that you should stick with whatever pattern or practice makes you happy!

Things may or more accurately will change over time. Your technique in all aspects will modify and adapt, and that which previously seemed satisfying to you will change, and an enhanced satisfaction will follow, buttressed by your own earned improvements.

Wet shaving is never static. Technique is always in flux, even if it may be some aspect which is so incrementally minor that it's almost unnoticable.

You may find as noted above, that blade life improves. That will only be experienced if you take a blade beyond say 2 shaves. Blade longevity is something you may wish to explore. I'm on a Nacet at the moment with 2 shaves on it. I expect it to serve me 7-8 excellent shaves. I shave every 48 hrs on average. I exclusively use vintage razors.

Some blades do actually improve with use in that some brands, especially the 'platinum' coated blades have quite a thick coating. It may take 2-3 shaves before the blade edge is fully exposed. They seem to sharpen. After that they can plateau or decline. Gillette Silver Blues and Personna Platinum Chromes spring to mind. To test the envelopes you should try several different blades and see how they perform after 3-4 shaves.

If a blade is still treating you right after 4-20 shaves, I see no reason to ditch it due to some arbitary figure of life expectation. I have a Personna IR that has 50 shaves on it. Still gives a buttery smooth and DFS. Some Gents regularly achieve 3 figures.

Have fun!
Well said.

First, I would stick with whatever works best for you.

For me, it really depends on the blade. Some are not worth using. Period.

In contrast, some of my favorites require a shave or three before they reach their stride, for example Personna labs. Then, the blade can provide 7-10 very fine shaves, sometimes more. Other favorites are great ‘out of the wrapper.’ I change blades when they start to ‘pull,’ rather than on a set schedule.

Some here are one and done, others shave for a week, still, others find joy in seeing how far they can shave with a blade, going so far as to strop the blade or attempt to hone it. I do 5 shaves per blade, most of my shaves are 2 to 3 passes and some clean-up work. I do have a goatee beard and mustache for reference. As you can see it varies, if you are happy with two shaves more power to you. One day I may see how long I can shave with a blade, at present, I am going through my stash of blades and finding out which ones work for me and which don't. There was only one blade that I binned after two shaves, a PAA Platinum Strangelet, I got a bad shave twice in a row with the blade, that is my call to toss the blade. My top-performing blades are Gillette Silver Blue, Lord Super Stainless, and Dorco Titian, thus far. Astra SP and Nacets are also well-liked as are Persona blades and Perma Sharps, plus many more. Feathers tend to be short-lived for most folks. It's a journey to find your wet shaving preference, there is no right or wrong way to do it as long as you are achieving close, comfortable, blood-free shaves.

Top Bottom